PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water really?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DogRescuer
07-27-2016, 05:58 AM
If I'm reading correct some of you perform RWashes with distilled water , why? Isn't that wasting money? With my glass cleaner I always mix it with dw for a final wipe but body panels, really?

Don M
07-27-2016, 06:32 AM
At Walmart, distilled water is about $0.88 a gallon - not very expensive compared to lots of other things. And if you do a RW correctly with 2 buckets, the "wash" water can be used several times negating the cost of buying distilled. Personally, I'm still a "HOSE 'ER DOWN" type, but I mix my D115 with distilled from Walmart because the distilled water from drug stores had added minerals (for taste they say).

I found out the hard way if I don't use distilled in my D115, I can leave streaks and water spots - since my car is black, I have to take EVERY precaution.

DogRescuer
07-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Wow thanks

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2016, 06:45 AM
I mix my D115 with distilled from Walmart because the distilled water from drug stores had added minerals (for taste they say).

Yeah, but that would be "spring water" or "mineral water", wouldn't it? They usually have two kinds of gallon jugs of water in the supermarket or Walmart etc., "spring water" and "distilled water"; one's for drinking, one's for your iron or car washing.

DogRescuer
07-27-2016, 07:55 AM
What's d115?

GS2011
07-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but that would be "spring water" or "mineral water", wouldn't it? They usually have two kinds of gallon jugs of water in the supermarket or Walmart etc., "spring water" and "distilled water"; one's for drinking, one's for your iron or car washing.

:iagree: True distilled water is entirely free of minerals.

Jeremy1976
07-27-2016, 08:09 AM
What's d115?
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dcjredline
07-27-2016, 08:24 AM
DW doesnt leave water spots on your body panels. I think thats the main reason people use it.

BadgerRivFan
07-27-2016, 09:20 AM
DW doesnt leave water spots on your body panels. I think thats the main reason people use it.

^^^ This. ^^^

DogRescuer
07-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Ok but when I'm doing a rw I don't let the water dry == no spots.

pheerix
07-27-2016, 12:35 PM
I use distilled when I mix up waterless wash but use regular tap for Rinseless. I sometimes do a quick hose down before doing a Rinseless wash so wouldn't matter if the Rinseless solution was tap or distilled.

yg1829
07-27-2016, 02:02 PM
I use distilled for anything that's not gonna be used and discarded.

If I was going to do a rinseless wash with a stack of microfibers and I wanted to store the rest of my solution for the next wash with a gamma seal then I would use distilled. Anything that gets mixed in a spray bottle gets distilled also.

If I do a rinsless and mix just enough to do one vehicle and or use a mitt with a rinse bucket I will just use tap water and discard the rest when done.

Basically I don't want to store anything with tap water for fear the minerals with get funky and cause growth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
07-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Ok but when I'm doing a rw I don't let the water dry == no spots.

And that's why you don't need DW. Plus most RW/WW will soften your tap water. Any product that I cut, I will use DW.

ArnoldLayne
07-27-2016, 02:15 PM
At Walmart, distilled water is about $0.88 a gallon - not very expensive compared to lots of other things. And if you do a RW correctly with 2 buckets, the "wash" water can be used several times negating the cost of buying distilled. Personally, I'm still a "HOSE 'ER DOWN" type, but I mix my D115 with distilled from Walmart because the distilled water from drug stores had added minerals (for taste they say).

I found out the hard way if I don't use distilled in my D115, I can leave streaks and water spots - since my car is black, I have to take EVERY precaution.

Distilled Water is a colorless, odorless and tasteless liquid. Neither Walmart nor Walgreens or CVS adds 'stuff' to it for taste. That is what drinking water/mineral water/spring water is for.

DW is also unfit for drinking. It has a pH of 7 ideally and has no dissolved minerals which makes it not a wise choice to drink (Drinking water has a pH of 7.8-8 which has alkali minerals dissolved in it which is needed for the electrolytes in your body. DW does not have and should not have any of that.

Rsurfer
07-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Distilled Water is a colorless, odorless and tasteless liquid. Neither Walmart nor Walgreens or CVS adds 'stuff' to it for taste. That is what drinking water/mineral water/spring water is for.

DW is also unfit for drinking. It has a pH of 7 ideally and has no dissolved minerals which makes it not a wise choice to drink (Drinking water has a pH of 7.8-8 which has alkali minerals dissolved in it which is needed for the electrolytes in your body. DW does not have and should not have any of that.:xyxthumbs: