PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend to friends for car care?

Pages : [1] 2

Jaretr1
07-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I often get asked by friends, especially ones that have new cars,what I recommend to them to care for their cars. Usually, these are people who are not like us per say, they arent crazy. They just want to keep their cars looking good with minimal fuss.

Here is sorta my go to easy peasy lemon squeezy car care recommendations. I go right to Hydro2. Its such a foreign concept for non enthusiasts and enthusiasts alike, but it truly is the easiest form of protection and I know the people who are asking me usually want easy! I then add to my recommendation Carpro Reset Car wash soap to compliment the Hydro2 (although any good soap will do). I throw in some wheel woolies, a good microfiber sponge / mitt, and good microfiber drying towel. For the inside, I recommend Ultima Interior Guard Plus. Done.

If they are a little more into their cars and ask for more specific products, of course I recommend whatever they are after...but for the basics for someone just wanting to do the basics..what do you recommend?

briarpatch
07-26-2016, 11:28 AM
My recommendations are similar as far as tools.........except I recommend Meguiars stuff..Cleaner Wax, Natural Shine and gold Class Wash..it's economical, available and simple to use. For years, their standard Cleaner Wax was all I used.

FUNX650
07-26-2016, 11:53 AM
For simplicity's sake...
I suggest that they use:
•car-wash shampoos
•microfiber products
•cleaner-waxes
(Note: product samples are available)

For those wanting to delve deeper:
•provide links to:
-Mike Phillips' books, articles, etc.
-AGO's online store

Anymore than that, and I
will point out the following:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=107386

Bob

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2016, 11:59 AM
I had a coworker get a new car, and he asked me advice, and I pointed out how he never washed his old car, and that he would quickly tire of whatever I suggested. He somehow found some guy close to him in some sort of detailing shop (I think a spare bay at a tire place or something) to hand wash the car for $15, so it all worked out in the end.

However, now that HydrO2 is available, and even better, HydrO2Foam, those are great suggestions for people who are actually (occasional) car washers.

WillSports3
07-26-2016, 12:01 PM
I find most people that ask me how to maintain their cars want the look and protection of a corrected car with a coating installed but then back away when you tell them what needs to be done, whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it. I find too many people I know just basically insists that automatic brush car washes don't put in swirls cause it wouldn't make sense. For them, swirls just come in over time and that's it. Or they want something that's essentially impossible. I I had a guy I know ask me what wax can he out on so he never has to wash his car again or what wax will protect against scratches. When I tell him no wax does that, he just asked me are you sure? Cause nu finish can do that. I can't say I really bother most of the time, I just direct them to an otc automotive store here and tell them to wash the car and keep a wax on it. That's all most people I know want to hear. If I recommend something like hydrofoam or hydro2, now they balk at having to purchase something online. Or they think it's a less reliable product because you can't walk into a store and get it.

Jeremy1976
07-26-2016, 12:20 PM
My recommendations are similar as far as tools.........except I recommend Meguiars stuff..Cleaner Wax, Natural Shine and gold Class Wash..it's economical, available and simple to use. For years, their standard Cleaner Wax was all I used.
Same here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rez90
07-26-2016, 12:21 PM
ONR and Quality Microfiber.

Jaretr1
07-26-2016, 12:30 PM
If I recommend something like hydrofoam or hydro2, now they balk at having to purchase something online. Or they think it's a less reliable product because you can't walk into a store and get it.

Well, I guess my friends respect my opinion enough, and know I know enough about these products to actually follow through with my recommendations. Most of my friends also have their own unique interests and understand the best products are usually not in stores and only online. I guess it also depends on the person, I suppose my recommendations are taylored to the audience.

Good responses.

Italiano
07-26-2016, 12:53 PM
On my Jeeps I only use Stoner Car Care products. Invisible Glass rocks! Trim shine is the best and their Speed Bead detailer is the easiest to wipe on/off in my experience.

SRConcepts
07-26-2016, 01:03 PM
I just stick to OTC products when asked, most that usually ask me want to do a quick wash and wax and that's about all. For a wash product I recommend Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax, and for a wax product I tell them Meg's 26. Both are available at the local Autozone, so it's easily gotten. That said, I have had a couple people tell me that 26 was too expensive for them... until I give them a sample to use, then they don't mind paying.

Coopers ST
07-26-2016, 01:11 PM
I suggest they pay me biweekly to maintain it. Or pay for a coating

WillSports3
07-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, I guess my friends respect my opinion enough, and know I know enough about these products to actually follow through with my recommendations. Most of my friends also have their own unique interests and understand the best products are usually not in stores and only online. I guess it also depends on the person, I suppose my recommendations are taylored to the audience.

Good responses.

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately all of my friends feel the best way to detail your own car is to vacuum, wipe down the interior with some water and paper towels and run the car through a swirlomatic car wash. If they even bother doing that. Different interests I suppose. The only time I'll answer them or do it foe them is if they get a difficult stain on the interior.

It really depends on your friends interests. Most of them see professional detailers as glorified car wash jockeys or they think even 150 dollars is too much for a full interior and exterior decontamination and detailing.

Jaretr1
07-26-2016, 02:24 PM
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately all of my friends feel the best way to detail your own car is to vacuum, wipe down the interior with some water and paper towels and run the car through a swirlomatic car wash. If they even bother doing that. Different interests I suppose. The only time I'll answer them or do it foe them is if they get a difficult stain on the interior.

It really depends on your friends interests. Most of them see professional detailers as glorified car wash jockeys or they think even 150 dollars is too much for a full interior and exterior decontamination and detailing.

That makes sense. Well the friends that ask me know I am not a car wash jockey and pretty into car care, and appreciate my level of expertise (by no means am I a total expert) and my use of so many varied products. I suppose I only get asked by the people genuinely want my honest opinion and will take my advice. I guess I am lucky :)

WillSports3
07-26-2016, 02:29 PM
You're the luckier one out of the two of us haha. The funny thing is the only people who really take notes and listen are some of the older guys at a coin wash I use sometimes where they come in with two buckets and wash their extremely well kept older vehicles or the occasional classic muscle car.

Eldorado2k
07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
After I fully detailed and protected my brothers new Jeep Grand Cherokee..

I sold him the remainder of my Megs D115, told him to go buy some microfiber towels at Costco [cut the tags off and wash properly], gave him a pre diluted gallon of Megs D101 APC to wipe down his interior, and recommended Megs Endurance Gel for his tires [because they're Michelins] So far he's doing good.

After I detailed this car for my friend and fellow co worker, I recommended D115.

He went from bucket washing his car every 5-7 days, to never having to drag out a hose & bucket ever again. It's been a year and half and he seriously hasn't washed his car with a hose in that long and his car looks great everyday!