PDA

View Full Version : Help: Lots of scratch after compounding and polishing

Pages : [1] 2

Damsonlee
07-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I compounded and polished my car this weekend. But I just found it created lots of deep scratches. It looks terrible under sunshine. I cleaned the car by washing and clay bar cleaning. I used Maguair's DA polisher and powerpads. I appreciate any suggestions on how to remove the scratches.

GSKR
07-24-2016, 09:01 PM
That's paint checking needs repaint.

Legacykid
07-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Those werent there prior?

Did something get inbetween your pad and paint to have scratched it?

Whats your experience detailing?

GSKR
07-24-2016, 09:10 PM
They were there you just filled them in with compound.

Damsonlee
07-24-2016, 09:34 PM
I noticed there were some scratches before I started compounding. But I didn't see that many scratches. There might be something get onto the pad as I just used one pad for the whole car and did not clean it during the process. I still can't believe it would cause so many scratches even if I got some dirt onto the pad. Only the engine hood is bad. The doors and other parts of the car look ok. If there is dirt on the pad, I would have damaged the doors and other parts as well. I don't have much experience in detailing but just followed some online instructions. The compound and finish I used are Maguair's Ultimate compound and polish.

Damsonlee
07-24-2016, 09:42 PM

I also think there were there but the compounding and polishing made it worse. But my wife doesn't believe it. Now is it possible to remove all these scratches without repainting?

dlc95
07-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Kind of looks like crows feet. The only solution as GSKR mentioned, is a repaint.

DaveT435
07-24-2016, 10:27 PM
I also think they were there, just the white compound in them makes the much more noticeable.
The only crows feet I've seen were on a black Acura. They really didn't look like that. What kind of car is it?

And again, not doubting anyone or saying your wrong. GSKR I know there have been a couple posts lately where it may seem like I'm saying your wrong...want to make sure you know that isn't the case.

A2D Signature
07-24-2016, 10:28 PM
That is why I constantly check my pads and change my pads after 1 or 2 panels

Eldorado2k
07-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Just curious, you said you used 1 pad on the entire vehicle.. What kind of pad? Meguiars thin burgundy foam cutting pad? Which panel did you start with? Was the hood 1st, or last? Did you notice your results diminishing at all as you were going along?

I kinda feel bad for you that your wife seems a bit disappointed... For all the chicks who couldn't care less about what their men are doing while detailing. And this woman does during these results.. I feel for you man. Make it up to her another way:)

asap2stacks
07-25-2016, 05:51 AM
if that's from you using the buffer the where you holding it side ways allowing the backing plate to hit your paint???

If not then i would say that the scratches have always been there...

asap2stacks
07-25-2016, 05:54 AM

Yea that panel is going to need repainting for sure once you go past the clear coat (which is thinner then Your nail) your screwed, as you can tell theses scratches are to bare metal.

Seeker
07-25-2016, 06:25 AM
I have to agree with GSKR, you just filled the scratches with a white polish. (You can confirm that they are below or equal to the paint surface, otherwise they could be splatters).

Anyway, you really have to work hard to get these fillers out! They can become as hard as concentrate, if you let them dry and cured (be warned)!

Assuming, that you managed to remove all the polishing residues, get a hold with any of the following: tranny fluid, silicone oil, paint glaze, or even a paint, etc ... And use them as a paint filler to mask these scratches then seal it with your favorite wax.

Damsonlee
07-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I also think they were there, just the white compound in them makes the much more noticeable.
The only crows feet I've seen were on a black Acura. They really didn't look like that. What kind of car is it?

And again, not doubting anyone or saying your wrong. GSKR I know there have been a couple posts lately where it may seem like I'm saying your wrong...want to make sure you know that isn't the case.

It's a 2011 Honda Civic.

Damsonlee
07-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Just curious, you said you used 1 pad on the entire vehicle.. What kind of pad? Meguiars thin burgundy foam cutting pad? Which panel did you start with? Was the hood 1st, or last? Did you notice your results diminishing at all as you were going along?

I kinda feel bad for you that your wife seems a bit disappointed... For all the chicks who couldn't care less about what their men are doing while detailing. And this woman does during these results.. I feel for you man. Make it up to her another way:)

Haha, thanks for the suggestion :)

I used Meguiars G3507 DA Compound and polish Power Pads. And I started with the hood and the pad was brand new. I noticed there were already some scratches on the hood from where I started. It's just not as noticeable as after the compounding and polishing. That's why I think they were always there.