PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this.

choijw2
07-24-2016, 11:06 AM

My last customer had these spots on driver window sill.

I tried APC, rubber cleaner, nothing worked.

I hoped gtechniq c4 would cover it but didn't work either

Any tricks?

oboroballa03
07-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Maybe try some rubbing alcohol on it i am not sure never had a problem like that i am no professional either but good luck

Hoytman
07-24-2016, 11:37 AM
How about a rotary, a wool pad at high speed, and some BC-2.:poke: :checkit:

Try this... Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

swanicyouth
07-24-2016, 11:42 AM
It's not dirty.

The UV protection coating is oxidizing. It analogous to clear coat failure on paint - except it's fake rubber.

Solution Finish should revive it.

briarpatch
07-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Is that trim rubber or the hard plastic?

precisionmobile85
07-24-2016, 11:45 AM
How about a rotary, a wool pad at high speed, and some BC-2.:poke:

Try this... http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html

Lol. I had to read that twice. I thought I misread the op. I have the same spots on trim as well. Tried everything I had to throw at it. Made it look better but didn't last long. I used the mothers back to black (non aresol). Worked the best surprisingly but spots reappeared after a week orbso

Jay's 128i
07-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I second swanicyouth, Solution Finish is probably your best bet:
http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fsolut ion-finish-trim-kit.html

Hoytman
07-24-2016, 12:44 PM
I would still recommend cleaning the trim, rubber or plastic, with the Mothers HD Trim cleaner product I referenced, then proceed with Solution Finish...

...and then I'd top the Solution Finish with something like Wolfgang WETS, or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard...used as regular maintenance...even if bi-or-tri monthly. You'll be amazed at the results.

Coatings are another option if that's your fancy...still cleaning with Mothers HD Trim cleaner, Solution Finish, then something like a coating of Dlux.

Then again...lol...there's always the first option I mentioned...if you're brave. LOL!

The Guz
07-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I would still recommend cleaning the trim, rubber or plastic, with the Mothers HD Trim cleaner product I referenced, then proceed with Solution Finish...

...and then I'd top the Solution Finish with something like Wolfgang WETS, or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard...used as regular maintenance...even if bi-or-tri monthly. You'll be amazed at the results.

Coatings are another option if that's your fancy...still cleaning with Mothers HD Trim cleaner, Solution Finish, then something like a coating of Dlux.

Then again...lol...there's always the first option I mentioned...if you're brave. LOL!

I would use APC before solution finish. In my opinion Mothers leaves a bit to much residue to clean up prior to using solution finish. IPA wipe prior to using solution finish for either cleaner used.

Hoytman
07-24-2016, 01:35 PM
I've had APC leave residues on paint that had to be polished off per Mike Phillip's personal instruction...both Meguiars APC+ and OPC at 1:10 for both. So, if there's a concern about residue, then I'd be concerned with all3 products. However, residue from the Mothers product I mentioned hasn't been an issue for me (because I use wash afterwards with soap and water then rinse)...like many have not had issues with APC residue like I did. In either case for me, I don't let any of them dry on the surface and I rinse, and rinse, and rinse. There's always the option of using one after the other and IPA before using a restorer/protectant.

Eldorado2k
07-24-2016, 01:38 PM
I would use APC before solution finish. In my opinion Mothers leaves a bit to much residue to clean up prior to using solution finish. IPA wipe prior to using solution finish for either cleaner used.

Has that "residue" been proven to affect any trim coatings ability to bond or work properly?

IMO there's quite a wide gap in the effectiveness of Mothers HD Trim Cleaner compared to any APC. [APC doesn't come close] And IME I've never seen any negative effects from the "residue" left behind by it.

Before:

After Mothers HD Trim Cleaner:

And finally, after TW Endura Trim Coating:

No extra cleaning of the residue was done.. Just wiped the cleaner off with a microfiber towel and waited a couple minutes. That was done 7 months ago and it's still going strong and looking good. I'm not sure how it plays with other trim coatings but I haven't experienced any negative effects from the Mothers HD Trim Cleaner.