PDA

View Full Version : Paint coating

andy0902
07-22-2016, 08:57 PM
I have a question about paint coatings. Can they be done one panel at a time over a period of days or weeks, or should it all be applied at once. I am considering the PA product as it seems to be best for beginners and is fairly idiot proof.

Here is the situation. I recently purchased a 2013 BMW 650i GC in Sapphire Black Metallic. The dealer talked me into getting a rather expensive “5 year coating” described as a “polymer and acrylic coating.” I’ve never had a black car before. When I got it I thought it was in perfect condition. Then I made the mistake of joining the AG detailing forum and learned that my paint has cobwebs and holograms. The problem is that they used clay on the car and put the coating on, but they did no paint correction. I want to correct the paint and put on a coating, but I think the work will take me three or four sessions over several weeks.

I read through hundreds of posts, and I read Mike Phillip’s “Show Car Finish’ book and started making purchases. Now I have a Flex 3401 and a box of pads and products to correct the paint. I did several test spots on an old Altima and was satisfied with the results so I tried a test spot on the BMW with Pinnacle Advanced swirl remover and Finishing polish on a test area and it looks great. I was amazed that I could get such good results just by using the information here.

So, can I do this over several sessions, or should I wait until I have a vacation and can spend a couple of days to get it all done at once.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long post. I am new here and really just learning.

rlmccarty2000
07-22-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't know who told you the PA coatings are "idiot proof" but no coating is "idiot proof". You need to coat the whole car in one day, indoors preferably. If you try to piecemeal the car there is a good chance contaminates will affect the panels you have left for a day. You could do a panel then quit, but you would have to do an IPA wipe the next day to remove any possible contaminates. The closest thing to an "idiot proof" coating is PBL Paint Coating. IMHO the spray and level type of coating products are easier to apply than the bottled by the drop coatings or the syringe type coatings. If this is your first coating I would advise you to watch as many videos as possible and expect high spots. Practice makes perfect.

emmjay
07-23-2016, 06:53 AM
I don't know who told you the PA coatings are "idiot proof" but no coating is "idiot proof". You need to coat the whole car in one day, indoors preferably. If you try to piecemeal the car there is a good chance contaminates will affect the panels you have left for a day. You could do a panel then quit, but you would have to do an IPA wipe the next day to remove any possible contaminates. The closest thing to an "idiot proof" coating is PBL Paint Coating. IMHO the spray and level type of coating products are easier to apply than the bottled by the drop coatings or the syringe type coatings. If this is your first coating I would advise you to watch as many videos as possible and expect high spots. Practice makes perfect.

This is a good point, but not everyone has one of the below as mentioned in Mike Philips' book:

1. Covered or sealed garage
2. Temp controlled garage
3. Time...
4. A job as a detailer
5. Energy

Most hobbyists will probably split the car as not all of us can clean, decon ,polish and coat a car in a day..I can knock out the clean, decon and polish steps, but coating would have to move to the next day - In a non sealed garage with winds constantly blowing.

My plan is the same, Polish, prep and coat sections that I can on a certain day, have some overlap with teh next section so that I do not have to come too close to previously coated section.

P.S. I bought the PBL v2 as well. Plan on applying it in October when its at least cooler, rest of the variables remain.

OP - read this thread as it can help
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/53582-detailing-over-multiple-days.html

BudgetPlan1
07-23-2016, 07:28 AM
One of our cars I did compound/polish panel by panel over course of a week, coated it all on weekend. Lotsa wipedowns in between days. Think main thing is get prep done piecemeal if ya have to, coat all in one session. Gotta do the best ya can, however you can. Other car wash, clay, compound, polish done one day, coating the next. These were 2 black cars, don't see any marring/swirling in either.

andy0902
07-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Thanks, that's a great link. Lots of good advice.

ronkh57
07-23-2016, 08:29 AM
PA stuff "recommends" their polish/primer. And with "Cosmic" it says to coat within 9 hours of the primer phase.