PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a smudge out of the clearcoat

dinkydow
10-25-2007, 08:34 AM
I recently purchased a car that has wood inlay around the shifter. It had some marks on the clear cote, or what ever the wood is encased in, I tried to get it to come off but I really blew it. I used the kit I purchased here for the headlights. It is a 3 step process to clear up the headlights. I applied the cleaner, the first step, with a damp microfiber towel, I let it dry and then took it off. It is now blurred/smudged/cloudy. I then applied the 2nd and 3rd step but that didn't help. I then tried to get it out by rubbing the cleaner on the area with my finger. That made it worse. I then tried Plexus, Blue
Magic plastic @
plexiglass cleaner and light scratch remover,
Aeroshell Flight Jacket, and also
Meguiars
Plastx, None of these made it worse but none made it better. I checked with the parts dept where I purchased the car and they told me it would cost $1128.00 just for the part without labor. I could sure use your help!! Thank you in advance.

Jimmie
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Wow that seems expensive. The first thing that you may want to look at is "interior wood kits" online.
Next it would seem that you would need some speed to apply the products in your plastic kit. Maybe consider getting the 2 3/4" backing plate and 4" pads to use with your power drill and then give your plastic kit another go. This is all guess work on my part but it sounds like you have nothing to lose. Hope you save having to spend the $1128.

dinkydow
10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Jimmie, You were right on the money!! I pulled out the backing plate etc. from the kit and started with the orange pad and turned my electric drill up up up! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I then finished it off with the black pad and used the polish. I am one happy dude!! Man, I owe you.. big time!! Thanks a million no billion!!:righton:

Jimmie
10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Glad it worked and happy that I was able to support. Yiiiipppe, no $$$. That Plexus should work really well now. I use DP Plex-All on wood trim and plastic and I still get wow'ed.