PDA

View Full Version : A little help with Wax longevity

Pages : [1] 2

Jay's 128i
07-22-2016, 02:45 AM
So, I've been trying to research as to how long a typical application of the following waxes lasts. I know environmental,
and other elements play a factor. Just trying to get a general idea. I purchased all from AG so I don't think it will be an issue. I have found some times from others and from the manufacturers claim. Feel free to add or change times based off of your experience. Thanks in advance and if this needs to be moved, please do!

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Wax= 100 days

Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax= 90 days

Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax= 1~3 months

Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax= up to 5 months

Collinite Marque D'Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476

Pinnacle XMT 180 High Gloss Wax= 2 months

3D Carnauba Paste Wax- 3 months

McKee's 37 Trademark Wax= 2 months

Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax

Pinnacle Black Label Synergy= 6 months

Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid Paste Sealant

Dodo Juice Hard Candy Hard Wax

Dodo Juice Orange Crush Soft Wax

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Car Wax

Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Soft Wax

Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub

BLACKFIRE BlackICE Montan Sealant Wax= 5 months

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Paste Wax White= 2-3 months

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Paste Wax Red= 2-3 months

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Paste Wax Blue= 2-3 months

Calendyr
07-22-2016, 03:25 AM
Honestly I don't think anyone really knows how long LSP last. There are so many variables that in order to have a true evaluation, all of them would have to be tested on the same panel.

As a general rule of thumb you can use this:

Spray waxes: About a month
Waxes : About 3 months
Sealants : About 6 months
CarPro Essence (Polish/Glaze/coating hybrid) : About a year
Coatings : From 2 to 5 years depending on the brand

These are typical. It depends on a gazillion variables, the most important ones are: How often the car is washed, exposure to heat and sun, exposure to rain, exposure to aggressive chemicals.

If I were you I would not waste too much time evaluating which product might or might not give you a week or two more in terms of durability. Simply choose what type of product you want to use (Wax/sealant/coating), find one you will enjoy using (based on use of application, or looks once applied or what ever is important to you in the selection) then simply use it at the appropriate time. No matter what you choose, you should always use a quality spray wax as a drying aid every time you wash the car. It will help maintain your base protection product and prevent damaging the paint during the drying process.

FUNX650
07-22-2016, 07:54 AM
No matter what you choose, you
should always use a quality spray
wax as a drying aid every time
you wash the car.

•IMO...
-This is better accomplished using
QDs as the spray-'n'-mist, "drying
aid" products.

-Applying spray Waxes to a wet
vehicle is not the optimum way
to use this category of product...
or to get optimum results.

-Best results will be achieved if
this category of detailing products
is applied to a clean and dry surface.

Bob

Desertnate
07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Honestly I don't think anyone really knows how long LSP last. There are so many variables that in order to have a true evaluation, all of them would have to be tested on the same panel.

As a general rule of thumb you can use this:

Spray waxes: About a month
Waxes : About 3 months
Sealants : About 6 months
CarPro Essence (Polish/Glaze/coating hybrid) : About a year
Coatings : From 2 to 5 years depending on the brand

These are typical. It depends on a gazillion variables, the most important ones are: How often the car is washed, exposure to heat and sun, exposure to rain, exposure to aggressive chemicals.

I can appreciate what you're saying, and you're right. However, I think it's worth noting products that don't perform very well when compared to the general rules you list...which I 100% agree with. When facing winters when I can't refresh and LSP or a family vehicle I don't have routine access, I need to know if a product will go the distance and can plan around that timeline. General performance...and it's vague, because as you mention, variables are nearly infinite, is still good knowledge to have on hand.

A couple of examples I've encountered which didn't live up to my expectations or the vendors claims. Poorboys EX-P sealant only lasted me about 8 weeks despite being a sealant. Blackfire Crystal paint coating lasted about 7~8 months vs the max 2 years it claims. I would have been happy with even one year.

Overall, most products I've used do live up to expectations/vendor claims so I know my process and environment aren't that far off. There are just a few outliers I found which fail to perform.

WillSports3
07-22-2016, 10:31 AM
I can appreciate what you're saying, and you're right. However, I think it's worth noting products that don't perform very well when compared to the general rules you list...which I 100% agree with. When facing winters when I can't refresh and LSP or a family vehicle I don't have routine access, I need to know if a product will go the distance and can plan around that timeline. General performance...and it's vague, because as you mention, variables are nearly infinite, is still good knowledge to have on hand.

A couple of examples I've encountered which didn't live up to my expectations or the vendors claims. Poorboys EX-P sealant only lasted me about 8 weeks despite being a sealant. Blackfire Crystal paint coating lasted about 7~8 months vs the max 2 years it claims. I would have been happy with even one year.

Overall, most products I've used do live up to expectations/vendor claims so I know my process and environment aren't that far off. There are just a few outliers I found which fail to perform.

I can't agree with this more. There's some stuff that just doesn't seem to work well no matter what. There are always ones where they don't last disproportionately to the claim as opposed to lasting 5 weeks instead of the claimed 6 or something.

dlc95
07-22-2016, 11:17 AM
I never apply a product with intention of never having to apply it again. I liken sealants and waxes to motor oil. I have to replace (or reapply in the case of a sealant/wax) the used product periodically. It's just part of the maintenance of the vehicle.

If I wanted an insane level of protection, I'd add a coating, or a layer of clear coat if possible.

WillSports3
07-22-2016, 11:50 AM
That's actually what made me go to a coating on my car. Nothing really will stand up to some of the winters and salt we get here except for a coating pretty much. But then I can't resist waxing or doing something so now I use PBL Synergy on top of my car.

Desertnate
07-22-2016, 11:50 AM
I never apply a product with intention of never having to apply it again. I liken sealants and waxes to motor oil. I have to replace (or reapply in the case of a sealant/wax) the used product periodically. It's just part of the maintenance of the vehicle.

If I wanted an insane level of protection, I'd add a coating, or a layer of clear coat if possible.

Agree, but for me it's the frequency of the re-application. In the case of the coating I used, I knew I only get "quality time" with the car about once a year. I needed a product that will last at least that long, and it didn't come even close.

For the cars with sealants, I plan out twice a year sessions to strip everything down and re-apply. In the past I only had to worry about getting through the winter without really touching the car. These days the summers are almost as bad too. Weeks of 95+ weather with 80%+ humidity don't bode well for LSP application and really narrows the windows of time to get work done.

Everyone's life is different, but my time is pretty tight on time and being able to plan out when I'll be doing my any detail session more than a wash is helpful.

Calendyr
07-22-2016, 12:17 PM

My question is: How do you know the product is gone? Most people use water beading as a base for deciding if a panel is protected or not... the issue with that is: A perfectly clean surface will bead water even if no LSP is present AND a protected panel might not bead water if there is dirt or contaminants present. Also many types of cleaning agents will prevent LSP from beading water.

So if you can't use beading as a reliable way to know if the panel is protected, how can you tell?

Some products are well known to offer long term protection, Collinite 845 comes to mind. Also even in the worst possible conditions, a coating should outlast any sealant. So if you want to make sure the protection lasts as long as possible, I would go with a coating for sure.

Desertnate
07-22-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm a regular user of 845 and Klasse before that, no issues at all. They live up to expectations, unfortunately I've come across others that don't.

I was basing my assumption on the coating being dead as I get no beading at, absolutely no sheeting, and the surface looks dull even when clean. When it rains water behaves just like all the other cars I see around which haven't been washed or waxed in years...if at all.

I do like the idea of coatings. I just want to make sure the one I purchase will have a reasonable life span.

AZpolisher15
07-22-2016, 02:01 PM
I could be wrong, but I wonder if the bigger players (Meguiars, mothers, menzerna, Klasse, PBMG, etc) have more resources and expertise to put into testing of products. Which leads me to believe their "manufacturers claims" may be more accurate and consistent. There a lot to be said for longevity of a company and how that is reflected in product development. That's not to say a "new player" can't knock it out of the park with a product. But as far as consistency goes, I'd wager on the big boys.

Jowillie
07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
:poke:You mean `sorta like "Volkswagen" is a big company.

parshooter
07-22-2016, 02:16 PM
I could be wrong, but I wonder if the bigger players (Meguiars, mothers, menzerna, Klasse, PBMG, etc) have more resources and expertise to put into testing of products. Which leads me to believe their "manufacturers claims" may be more accurate and consistent. There a lot to be said for longevity of a company and how that is reflected in product development. That's not to say a "new player" can't knock it out of the park with a product. But as far as consistency goes, I'd wager on the big boys.
I've not read any "manufacturers claims" of longevity, so do they say something to the effect of "under normal conditons" or "under test conditions" ? Because like many have said, conditions greatly vary throughout the world, some cars are garaged some, others not at all. Some get washed weekly, some monthly. There are so many variables it would be impossible to say a wax/sealant will last X number of months. No matter which wax I use, I still wax my car 3 or 4 times a year. Just because.

Jay's 128i
07-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Thank you all and as I said, was looking to get a general idea of longevity or if someone happened to run across the manufactures claim. This was more for the: I want to know vs the need of trying to get max use out of a specific wax. I currently have Viking Coat on my vehicle right and I'm very pleased with it. I just have a bunch of different waxes and wanted to know. Thank you all again! (Ps, love learning different things from everyone, keep 'em coming)

dlc95
07-22-2016, 04:18 PM
I can say that I've been very happy with Meguiar's and Duragloss sealants. Specifically Ultimate Liquid Wax, M21, DG101, and DG111.