PDA

View Full Version : Best product for new black trim

Pages : [1] 2

Tino7
07-21-2016, 10:59 PM
I need help with keeping my black trim on 2014 rav4. What is the best product that will protect and prevent the black trim from becoming white and faded. Thank you for the help.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Aaryn NZ
07-21-2016, 11:04 PM
CarPro Dlux would be my recommendation.:xyxthumbs:

Aaryn NZ.

Rsurfer
07-22-2016, 12:00 AM
CarPro Dlux would be my recommendation.:xyxthumbs:

Aaryn NZ.

I agree, but do not make the mistake of applying it to heavily. The key to the success of this dressing, is applying it very thinly.
Wear some nitrile gloves and wrap the swede cloth around your index finger and apply very thin coats.
If you have larger areas, then use the block to apply.

Applied it to a new 2014 Altima that sits in the Hawaiian sun 365 days a year and 2yrs and 3 months later the trim looks like the day I bought it.

There is one area on my wiper cowl that I applied Dlux with a foam brush and like most, thought the more the better. Well guess what, it turned into a mess.
Tried to remove the excess, but was unsuccessful. Ended up using a Magic Eraser and it still looks a little rough. Thin is in. BTW works on rims and great on your new head and tail lights.

UV is the number one enemy of exterior plastic and Hawaii has the highest UV index in the nation. During the summer months, we have an index of 12.

mwoywod
07-22-2016, 03:07 AM
my dakota is a 2004 and since 2006 all i've used on my trim is klasse AIO and then I dress it with Optimum car wax. It's not faded, sun damaged, or oxidized and although it doesn't look shiny or greasy it still has a natural sheen new rubber. This goes for all the black plastic as well. Even textured. Do the same for all of my clients cars except I use optimum poli-seal to remove oxidation because occasionally i need the abrasives and I then i'll dress it with Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax which makes it look more "conditioned" than optimum car wax. If you are consistant about maintaining it you could probably accomplish the same thing with UQW or D156

Calendyr
07-22-2016, 03:16 AM
Hum. Since fading comes from oxidation of exposure to UV light, any good sealant or coating should do the job IMHO.

Tino7
07-22-2016, 03:31 AM
So a selant like power lock won't leave the trim white ?

GSKR
07-22-2016, 06:45 AM
I personally don't like any coatings on my trim,but I can tell you that gtech c4 changed my mind.its a little pricey easy to apply and last pretty long.Its super easy and non tacky when applied good stuff.or you can spray wax your trim for now till it shows wear from uv in about 2 years.

FUNX650
07-22-2016, 08:43 AM
I need help with keeping my black trim
on 2014 rav4.

Has the 2014 MY trim been
replaced with new trim?
If not, then:

-Being that the trim would be
close to three MYs old; and,
not knowing what all it's been
exposed to during those years;
-I'll suggest the following
two-prong approach:

1.) An application of Solution Finish (SF)
(which includes a thorough cleaning beforehand)

2.) Then, after the SF has had time
to totally cure, apply Ultima
Paint Guard Plus over top of it,
as a "sealer" for the SF.

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)

Ultima Paint Guard Plus 4oz., paint sealant, liquid wax, car wax, paint sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus-4.html)

Bob

tenblade2001
07-22-2016, 08:59 AM
what about WETS?

Tino7
07-22-2016, 09:12 AM
It's the original trim I bought it used recently. Would the paint guard plus cause the trim to be white when applied ? Thank you all for all these suggestions.

Also would wets be good choice instead of the choice paint guard ?

Jaddie
07-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus is well-reviewed, but I'm guessing it's better to apply it thinly, too. I applied about five heavy coats to my father-in-law's new running boards on his new GMC Canyon and it left those running boards super-slippery. It's been on a 500-mile road trip and washed twice since application, and those running boards are still slippery.

Dlux probably is the most professional choice.

briarpatch
07-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus is well-reviewed, but I'm guessing it's better to apply it thinly, too. I applied about five heavy coats to my father-in-law's new running boards on his new GMC Canyon and it left those running boards super-slippery. It's been on a 500-mile road trip and washed twice since application, and those running boards are still slippery.

Dlux probably is the most professional choice.

I never apply anything to running boards specifically for this reason...too risky

Calendyr
07-22-2016, 12:34 PM
So a selant like power lock won't leave the trim white ?

No. Any quality sealant or wax will not stain trims. Power Lock is a good example. Reload doesn't either. The documentation for the LSP should say if it is trim safe or not. If it doesn't mention if it is safe on trim, assume it is not until you do a test spot.

Bobby B.
07-22-2016, 02:36 PM
On new plastic trim I like to use the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. On old faded plastic trim I like to use the Solution Finish. Once the Solution Finish fully cures I apply the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html)
Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)

mwoywod
08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
No. Any quality sealant or wax will not stain trims. Power Lock is a good example. Reload doesn't either. The documentation for the LSP should say if it is trim safe or not. If it doesn't mention if it is safe on trim, assume it is not until you do a test spot.

Have you tried using Power lock? I love using reload on all rubber and vinyl trim but I've heard a ton of people say power lock doesn't stain while a few have said it does. It doesn't say anything so I haven't been brave enough to try it but if you or anyone else could help me settle this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!