PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Spiders!! (The 8-legged ones)

Pages : [1] 2

Hokie335i
07-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Hi all,

I have been battling spiders in my girlfriend's 2013 Subaru Impreza for a few months now. They keep popping up inside the car on the dash and vent areas. I've tried a deep cleaning of the interior, vacuuming/spraying spider spray up under the dash and along the bottom of the windshield. I've removed and cleaned the cabin air filter as well. I'm not sure where they're coming from or how they're getting in the car. My fear is that there is a nest in there somewhere in the air system...I've looked under the hood around the engine and raised the car up and checked underneath and there's no sign of a nest or anything like that.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the spiders for good? She's considering getting a new car because of this...I thought about some sort of chemical bomb we could set off in there to get in the vents but am worried about the health safety factor.

Thanks!

WeekendDIY
07-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Not to be sarcastic.....do any fly out the vents when you have the fans on high? Do they seem to mainly come the front of the car? Sounds like they're in the duct work somewhere. Unfortunately they could be in a lot of different little tight areas.

Hokie335i
07-21-2016, 07:48 PM
No problem. They do not come out at of the vents when the air is on. But we come out to the car in the morning of after it sits all day and there are small webs and strands across the dash and on the vents. I've tried to "blow" them out but no luck. If I can find out where they are hiding that'd be great but I'd rather not tear the dash out of her car...

I've seen Raid Fumigator and Foggers but am not sure if they are safe to be used in the car, and if they are, how long it has to air out for.

WeekendDIY
07-21-2016, 07:55 PM
I recently removed the plastic trim at the front of the hood....you know the trim the meets at the windshield and wipers. I removed mine to restore the black and noticed all type of debris and the air channels for outside air. Maybe try removing that and try and take a peak. Better than removing the dash. Or maybe try one of those insect bombs. Not sure that's a good idea though. God knows if it gets in the upholstery etc.

In my younger and dumber years I'd probably try that and maybe start it, let it fog for only maybe a minute, hold my breath, and try to remove it. LOL I'm certainly not recommending that flat out...just thinking out loud.

etnops
07-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Termidor SC.
Buy a quart, mix up a gallon (at proper dilution), and spray (liberally) anywhere you've seen the spiders come from. Spray in the vents, in and around the engine, everywhere where you don't normally have a lot of hand traffic.
Give it about a week, and your problem is likely to be solved. Don't get stingy with the solution, and don't sweat the visible residue. Clean it later when the spiders have been decimated. Soak the car, it's a "spray and pray" approach - but likely to work.
This is a serious insecticide, so wear a mask and don't spray when kids/pets are around. Once it's dry, it's safe.
Good luck, don't let some spiders run you out of the car!

glfnaz
07-21-2016, 08:32 PM
I used Termidor SC when I had a termite infestation that was eating my garage trim. Used as directed, it knocked them out. Even ants and scorpions are a thing of the past around my yard. You can get it on line at do my own pest control dot com, or something similar to that.

custmsprty
07-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Termidor SC.
Buy a quart, mix up a gallon (at proper dilution), and spray (liberally) anywhere you've seen the spiders come from. Spray in the vents, in and around the engine, everywhere where you don't normally have a lot of hand traffic.
Give it about a week, and your problem is likely to be solved. Don't get stingy with the solution, and don't sweat the visible residue. Clean it later when the spiders have been decimated. Soak the car, it's a "spray and pray" approach - but likely to work.
This is a serious insecticide, so wear a mask and don't spray when kids/pets are around. Once it's dry, it's safe.
Good luck, don't let some spiders run you out of the car!

Personally I would not do spray any type of insecticide in the interior of the car and especially the vents. These types of sprays are residuals, they will leave behind "residual" insecticide. So your girlfriend will have
residual insecticide poisons blowing on her for months and months.

OMG!!!

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Termidor%20Label.pdf

Termidor SC (the SC stands for Suspended Concentrate) is an excellent professional termite control product for killing termites and protecting your home from future infestations. In addition to its superior protection against termites, Termidor is an excellent do it yourself pest control product to have on hand as it also kills ant colonies, as well as many other insect pests. Termidor will protect your home and eliminate almost any termite problem in less than 90 days. In addition, when used as an in-ground barrier treatment, Termidor will protect your home or business for over 10 years.

I wouldn't spray anything in, on or around my vehicle that will kill termites for 10 years!!

Termidor is completely undetectable by termites and once termites touch it they contact, ingest and spread the termiticide until it eliminates the entire colony. Termidor controls all types of termites including subterranean, formosan, and drywood termites.

Termidor SC is also one of the best outdoor ant control products that money can buy. An exterior above ground spray one foot up and one foot out is all you need to knock out ant colonies and carpenter ants trying to invade your home!

Want to know how to get rid of crazy rasberry ants or how to treat crazy rasberry ants? Termidor is the answer for crazy rasberry ant control, as well as all other ant species.

Termidor is labeled for OUTDOOR use only. It can only be used indoors to spot treat termite or insect activity inside wall voids (for example when treating a live termite infestation in a wall void) . It cannot be used indoors for ant or pest control other than inside wall voids.

Termidor CANNOT be used on pets for any reason. Termidor SC is not labeled for fire ants and cannot be used out in yards for ant mound control.
I might be more inclined to spray a small amount of a "bomb" in the car, not a whole one. Then let it air out for few days.

Hokie335i
07-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Personally I would not do spray any type of insecticide in the interior of the car and especially the vents. These types of sprays are residuals, they will leave behind "residual" insecticide. So your girlfriend will have
residual insecticide poisons blowing on her for months and months.

OMG!!!

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Termidor%20Label.pdf

Termidor SC (the SC stands for Suspended Concentrate) is an excellent professional termite control product for killing termites and protecting your home from future infestations. In addition to its superior protection against termites, Termidor is an excellent do it yourself pest control product to have on hand as it also kills ant colonies, as well as many other insect pests. Termidor will protect your home and eliminate almost any termite problem in less than 90 days. In addition, when used as an in-ground barrier treatment, Termidor will protect your home or business for over 10 years.

I wouldn't spray anything in, on or around my vehicle that will kill termites for 10 years!!

Termidor is completely undetectable by termites and once termites touch it they contact, ingest and spread the termiticide until it eliminates the entire colony. Termidor controls all types of termites including subterranean, formosan, and drywood termites.

Termidor SC is also one of the best outdoor ant control products that money can buy. An exterior above ground spray one foot up and one foot out is all you need to knock out ant colonies and carpenter ants trying to invade your home!

Want to know how to get rid of crazy rasberry ants or how to treat crazy rasberry ants? Termidor is the answer for crazy rasberry ant control, as well as all other ant species.

Termidor is labeled for OUTDOOR use only. It can only be used indoors to spot treat termite or insect activity inside wall voids (for example when treating a live termite infestation in a wall void) . It cannot be used indoors for ant or pest control other than inside wall voids.

Termidor CANNOT be used on pets for any reason. Termidor SC is not labeled for fire ants and cannot be used out in yards for ant mound control.
I might be more inclined to spray a small amount of a "bomb" in the car, not a whole one. Then let it air out for few days.

This is what I am afraid of using any sort of pesticide in the car. Having it blow on her for weeks/months afterwards..Worst case is that they will all die off in a couple of months as it gets pretty freaking cold here in NY but I'd rather not wait for that to happen.

Any other suggestions?

custmsprty
07-21-2016, 08:58 PM
This is what I am afraid of using any sort of pesticide in the car. Having it blow on her for weeks/months afterwards..Worst case is that they will all die off in a couple of months as it gets pretty freaking cold here in NY but I'd rather not wait for that to happen.

Any other suggestions?

At the most, I might spray something in the engine compartment, lightly misting it. Something like an ant roach killer but that's as far as I'd go. I wouldn't put anything inside and especially not in the vents or ac/heating system.

spazzz
07-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Ortho Home Defense.

I use it in the house and haven't developed any twitches

bmwgeek
07-21-2016, 09:48 PM
How about use a vacuum and blower and blow/vac everywhere?

Hokie335i
07-21-2016, 09:49 PM
How about use a vacuum and blower and blow/vac everywhere?

Tried it. I've vacuumed the hell out of the car and even up under the dash and such. I tried blowing through the vents but no luck...

etnops
07-21-2016, 10:00 PM
eehh, OK - fair enough. Don't spray in the vents. But spray/wipe it where there isn't much or any hand traffic. On the dashboard, around the door seals, etc etc. Wherever they're likely to walk/travel. When a spider walks across the insecticide, it's only a matter of time before it's dead.

I'm a strong believer in the hard core insecticide route. Just be reasonable, and use it where you can. Anything less - in my experience - will be met with returning insects and frustration.
After the little guys are wiped out, give the vehicle a good cleaning (with gloves and a respirator).

The spiders are eating something in that car. Other bugs, usually. You don't just have an infestation of spiders...it's likely spiders + some other type of insect. Or spiders + dead lizard, or something to that effect.

Good luck. I say nuke it with an insecticide. Get the job done.

custmsprty
07-21-2016, 11:11 PM
eehh, OK - fair enough. Don't spray in the vents. But spray/wipe it where there isn't much or any hand traffic. On the dashboard, around the door seals, etc etc. Wherever they're likely to walk/travel. When a spider walks across the insecticide, it's only a matter of time before it's dead.

I'm a strong believer in the hard core insecticide route. Just be reasonable, and use it where you can. Anything less - in my experience - will be met with returning insects and frustration.
After the little guys are wiped out, give the vehicle a good cleaning (with gloves and a respirator).

The spiders are eating something in that car. Other bugs, usually. You don't just have an infestation of spiders...it's likely spiders + some other type of insect. Or spiders + dead lizard, or something to that effect.

Good luck. I say nuke it with an insecticide. Get the job done.

Just curious, have you personally treated any of your own vehicles that you ride in daily with Termidor SC?

TheAverageMan
07-22-2016, 12:46 AM
Ozone machine and suffocate that thing.