PDA

View Full Version : Kia Optima help

Coopers ST
07-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Hey all,
i had a customer bring me a Kia Optima today. This was a higher trim level that had the easily scratched piano black trim piece between the doors and glass roof. The owner has driven it through a tunnel wash weekly or more since new, this is one that is a touch wash. What products can I use to get the scratching and cloudiness out? I have tried compound, and polish both by hand, and by da. they are very shinny, but in the sun show the scratches still. I don't have pics as they don't show the scratching.

Thanks
Brad

GSKR
07-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Possibly a rotary would level them out or a Ibrid .If you did a da with a micro pad and some 105 and stood on it a little bit ,may help.after all isn't that plastic?

mwoolfso
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I worked on my daughter's Kia Optima and the paint was a little confusing. I was expecting "soft" but it turned out to be middle-ground; not so hard but no so soft either. Menzerna polishes worked the best so I stuck with SF4000 as a 1-step and then went straight to a coating. :-)

GenesisCoupe
07-21-2016, 05:53 PM
How about microfiber compound pads, followed by a light polish?

I always had luck with FG400 on microfiber pads

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-21-2016, 07:04 PM
I remember that spot on my old Optima, super soft and would scratch if you looked at it funny. I would try a super fine polish like menz4500 on a black pad and use a super plush towel to wipe away, maybe even soak the towel in rinse less wash solution to further lubricate.

If you're getting micro scratches only visible in the sunlight, then I would venture to say that whatever you're doing is almost 100% in the right direction.

Coopers ST
08-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Thought I would update the group on what I used that actually worked as I asked to get the car back. . I have a old Meguiars headlight kit, I wet sanded very lightly with the finest sanding pad. I then used HD Speed on the drill pad that came with it. That took all the cloudyness and scratches out, and wiped a Griots spray wax on it. Came our flawless.