PDA

View Full Version : Prepping previously coated car for Essence/Reload combo

MoBenzOwner
07-20-2016, 04:29 PM
My 2015 f150 was prepped and coated with DP Paint Coating about a year ago. I have over the course of the year applied Sonax PNS over the top of the DP paint coating. It still looks great and is holding up well, but I'm a tinkerer who has trouble leaving well enough alone. I acquired some car pro essence and some reload and am thinking about giving that combo a try. Since my current protection is still holding up so well, should I polish with a dedicated paint cleanser or polish before going straight to Essence?

ronkh57
07-20-2016, 04:52 PM
You gotta understand that I too am a tinkerer, so.....

Why would you remove a true coating to a temp coating that and inordinate amount of people (me included) have a ton of trouble with?

Rsurfer
07-20-2016, 05:40 PM
My 2015 f150 was prepped and coated with DP Paint Coating about a year ago. I have over the course of the year applied Sonax PNS over the top of the DP paint coating. It still looks great and is holding up well, but I'm a tinkerer who has trouble leaving well enough alone. I acquired some car pro essence and some reload and am thinking about giving that combo a try. Since my current protection is still holding up so well, should I polish with a dedicated paint cleanser or polish before going straight to Essence?

Essence is a polish (AIO) and can be topped with Reload.

MoBenzOwner
07-21-2016, 08:17 AM
You gotta understand that I too am a tinkerer, so.....

Why would you remove a true coating to a temp coating that and inordinate amount of people (me included) have a ton of trouble with?

Ronkh57,
I believe the stated life of the DP paint coating was originally listed as being, "up to 2 years". By the time late fall and early winter gets here it will be over a year and a half since applied. My wild card, is how long have I extended or shortened that protection by applying PNS over it. My guess would be I could do another PNS application in Sept or Oct and be just fine, but not sure. Another option I have is to do the Essence thing and top it with my remaining supply of DP paint coating. I have used reload on another vehicle I applied the DP coating to and it seemed to play well together at least on that car.

MoBenzOwner
07-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Rsurfer,
Thanks for reply. I am aware Essence is a polish, but not sure if it would be strong enough to remove the DP paint coating. Or would it even need polished off to begin with? What's your thoughts?

ronkh57
07-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Ronkh57,
I believe the stated life of the DP paint coating was originally listed as being, "up to 2 years". By the time late fall and early winter gets here it will be over a year and a half since applied. My wild card, is how long have I extended or shortened that protection by applying PNS over it. My guess would be I could do another PNS application in Sept or Oct and be just fine, but not sure. Another option I have is to do the Essence thing and top it with my remaining supply of DP paint coating. I have used reload on another vehicle I applied the DP coating to and it seemed to play well together at least on that car.

Just my opinion....... But I would re-coat it if that's what you're looking for. You had a great formula for success.

As I said, my opinion.

kevincwelch
07-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Rsurfer,
Thanks for reply. I am aware Essence is a polish, but not sure if it would be strong enough to remove the DP paint coating. Or would it even need polished off to begin with? What's your thoughts?
Essence is strong enough to remove the coating. Recently I had a very unsightly high spot that was due to incomplete buffing of Gyeon Mohs, which is much tougher than DP coating. I leveled the area with essence and reapplied the coating without any difficulty and with great improvement in the appearance of the hood.

I get the part about tinkering with things. I love to do this as well. I have really had a very difficult time using reload. In fact I gave away a full bottle of it recently. Gave away. If you want to tinker, use Essence to polish the paint and use another type of coating. Try Wolfgang. Try gtechniq. Try McKees.

Sent via my mobile device...

MoBenzOwner
07-21-2016, 11:04 AM
It's settled then. When I get a bit more time, I will decon, polish with essence and reapply the DPCoating. Thanks all!

AutowerxDetailing
07-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Pretty much all of the problems people experience with Reload is from trying to use it like a spray wax. You cannot simply spray it on and wipe it off. It needs to be worked into the finish to allow it to flash away and then a final buff to remove any streaks or high spots. It takes a little longer than just wiping on something like D156; however, in my opinion the results are well worth the extra few minutes to apply. The Essence and reload combo is pretty amazing. Also, using Reload over Essence seems to make the Reload application process even easier than normal.

GSKR
07-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Pretty much all of the problems people experience with Reload is from trying to use it like a spray wax. You cannot simply spray it on and wipe it off. It needs to be worked into the finish to allow it to flash away and then a final buff to remove any streaks or high spots. It takes a little longer than just wiping on something like D156; however, in my opinion the results are well worth the extra few minutes to apply. The Essence and reload combo is pretty amazing. Also, using Reload over Essence seems to make the Reload application process even easier than normal.
Good to know thanks.

Rsurfer
07-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Rsurfer,

Does it really matter? Essence leaves a protection (Sio2) behind, so if you believe that DP or any other coating that you plan to use, needs a clean surface before applying a coating..use M205 or a similar finish polish and do an IPA wipe down.
Let us know what you decide to use. Good luck,

ronkh57
07-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Yep. User error. No problems with reload...........

MoBenzOwner
07-21-2016, 03:27 PM
My truck has very few swirls or scratches. Really has little to no need for correction. I might just go home this evening and do a little test. Thinking about a wash, iron-x, clay job on the hood only which wont take long. Then an orange CCS light cutting pad with DP paint coating prep polish, then Essence with a CCS white pad. Then after Essence apply Reload on half the hood and DP Paint coating on other half. How long if any of a cure time for the Essence before applying Reload or DPPC?