PDA

View Full Version : Polishing B-Pillars

HockeyCrazi
07-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone, I apologize if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one. Are there any special techniques or products used on the B-Pillars? Mine are all swirled up. Thanks!

LSNAutoDetailing
07-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Generally no difference, except one or two section passes vs 4 or 6.

If using compound or polish, make sure you tape off any rubber trim as it can get discolored.

Product like HD Speed or Griots BOSS Finishing Sealant work very well.

HockeyCrazi
07-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Awesome thank you paul_g!

BMW435
07-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Another great performer for this is Menzerna SF4000

shadwell
07-21-2016, 01:44 AM
Hey everyone, I apologize if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one. Are there any special techniques or products used on the B-Pillars? Mine are all swirled up. Thanks!

I use a rotary (900rpm no real load) with a 3inch soft foam finishing pad and CarPro Reflect..

2 to 3 passes and its black to a glassy finish again..

Super easy to mark up again, so i am going to be coating mine in C Quartz very soon...

lawrenceSA
07-21-2016, 03:23 AM
The paint on these tends be pretty soft, so start gentle. Also, depending on the history of the car, there is a good chance that the edges have been hammered through poor polishing techniques and so the risk of a strike-though in these areas is always high.... for that reason I generally try to run some tape over all 4 edges of each pillar about 1mm in from the edge if the pillars are bad and require 'cutting'.... (something like PF2300 / orange pad) then I remove the tape and give it a final polish with something like SF4000/black pad.

Crispy
08-07-2016, 03:59 PM
I find B-Pillars tend to be different textured paint. Mine are kind of a satin shine with a bit of texture to them. I use the Rupes Nano with yellow pad and polish with rotary tool to polish. I find the more I pollish the less texture remains. These B-Pillars have been a pain for 5 years and continue to be. I'm thinking off having my body shop paint them shiney black andd be done.

rookiez
08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Taping the rubber pillar or any black trims are very important. The black color will transfer to your pads (Extremely hard to impossible to be cleaned) and the trim will slowly fades in color, since it's been transferred to your pad instead!

shadwell
08-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Depends on the materia / surface on the b pillars..
1./ Some are painted metal same as body:---- so polish as you would a body panel
2./ Some are black vinyl plastic on top pf colour painted metal :----- so i would use a finishing polish and personally by hand as the material is very soft.. or apply a coating to it.. couple of laeyrs to try and fill..
3./ The gloss plastic inserts (german and high end cars) :- use a finishing polish and a soft pad.. i use a 3" rotary on these and 1 or 2 passes gets them back to mint.. againa coating afterwards is not a bad idea..

Paul A.
08-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Can't add much more to whats already been suggested but small diameter pads and tape are what i always use.