PDA

View Full Version : Learning new techniques all the time...

LSNAutoDetailing
07-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Of course trial and error shouldn't be done on customers cars, however, I'm never afraid to try something on any of my three POV's, especially the DD's.
During the spring, I did a full paint correction and CQUK on my Garage Queen (Mustang).

Last night, I gave the car a 2BM D-114 rinse and wash. She looked great until I got down to an OCD level with a Flex Light and noticed something.
What I just thought were scratches were actually dried, hardened shards of glass (CQ) on the car drivers door.

I grabbed my Crystal Mist and a Gold Push JR and tried to remove them, not budging, instead I micro-marred the coating... YIKES.
I grabbed some Reload and another GPJR, no results.... I decided to sleep on it and think about it.

This morning I grabbed a Car-Pro sued MF and 1 oz cup of un-diluted D-114 (I do realize the strength), but I only worked small areas where the small dried crystal lines. They came off!!! I bunched one corner of the MF into the 1OZ cup, then just worked in small circles. I followed up with a new GPJR MF and reload and not only did it clear up, it removed the micro-marring in the coating.

Some may say I diminished the strength of the CQUK coating, but that's that's fine... we're talking a few 1"x1" sections, and it's a garage-queen and it will never see inclement weather.

Learning new techniques through trial, error, and sometimes just pain old sleeping on it! :)

I know there is a tips & tricks section, but if others want to tag on this thread... maybe we can keep it running with good ideas.

Setec Astronomy
07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
I actually am not sure what to think about that, if apparently straight D114 can dissolve CQ enough to remove whatever that was--not sure what that says for the coating. On the one hand we are told that coatings are impervious to IPA, mineral spirits, water spot removers, iron removers, but then you can remove (some) of it with a surfactant/quat cleaner...just makes you go hmmmm......

LSNAutoDetailing
07-20-2016, 10:51 AM
I actually am not sure what to think about that, if apparently straight D114 can dissolve CQ enough to remove whatever that was--not sure what that says for the coating. On the one hand we are told that coatings are impervious to IPA, mineral spirits, water spot removers, iron removers, but then you can remove (some) of it with a surfactant/quat cleaner...just makes you go hmmmm......

I don't think I removed the coating, but some hardened residue that looked like shiny little scratches, therefor I think they were just dried by product. The only other option would to tape off and re-polish with DA, erasure, re-coat, re-load which I didn't feel like doing.

Well, whatever the stubborn little lines were are now gone...