PDA

View Full Version : Black Chrome Exhaust Tip Cleaning

TenFlat
07-19-2016, 08:28 PM
With all the various manufactures coming out with colored metal tips such as black chrome, burnt blue, etc., what's the safest way to clean and polish without harming the finish? Staying away from a heavy metal compound would be my first thought however, is there a preferred product to ensure the exhaust tips are cleaned from carbon buildup but still maintain their luster and finish?

Over the the past couple of years I've seen a growing trend especially with the higher end exotic cars I detail. I've tended to air on the side of caution and had good results thus far but am curious if there is a new product specially formulated for black chrome and other types of finishes I'm not aware of.

Any my help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Ten Flat Detailing

custmsprty
07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I wipe mine with any waterless wash with an old mf towel, I don't let the exhaust stuff build up. I also use 3m metal polish as it's not aggressive.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/WGFuzion1_zpshilazng0.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/WGFuzion1_zpshilazng0.jpg.html)

Rsurfer
07-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Have you tried P21 Polishing Soap?

TenFlat
07-19-2016, 09:13 PM
I currently use the pinnacle exhaust polish and tailor my approach accordingly. I'll look at the 3m polish and appreciate the feedback.

TenFlat
07-19-2016, 09:17 PM
I have used and occasionally will use the polishing soap. I've got a new client with a show car concerned about his black chrome tips so I was trying to see if there was anything else on the market formulated for those tips.

Appreciate the reply

custmsprty
07-19-2016, 09:18 PM
I currently use the pinnacle exhaust polish and tailor my approach accordingly. I'll look at the 3m polish and appreciate the feedback.

I'd stick with the Pinnacle exhaust polish, it's a solid product. If I didn't already have the 3M it's most likely what I would buy next.

Eldorado2k
07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Any pics of this black chrome? I think I know what you guys are talking about, but I'm not sure.

FUNX650
07-19-2016, 10:29 PM
"Mothers™ Chrome Polish is safe
to use on all chrome, even on
finicky black chrome."

Mothers Chrome Polish is an easy-to-use liquid metal polish that cleans & brightens chrome wheels and rims. Mothers Chrome Polish is gentle on shiny (http://www.autogeek.net/motchrompol.html)

Bob

Crispy
07-22-2016, 04:58 PM
The colour doesn't matter. Chrome is a coating (like clearcoated is a coating for Base coat paint). It is crystal clear and extremely hard. What ever product works for you on regular (shiney nickel plated) will work on any colour. You can polish chrome with buffers and special compounds like you would bare aluminum, but there are special compounds for chrome that would destroy aluminum. That is how hard it is.

blkSRT
07-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Are you sure it's not PVD?

FUNX650
07-22-2016, 08:55 PM
The colour doesn't matter.
Chrome is a coating (like clearcoated
is a coating for Base coat paint).

It is crystal clear and extremely hard.

What ever product works for you on
regular (shiney nickel plated) will work
on any colour.

You can polish chrome with buffers and
special compounds like you would
bare aluminum,

but there are special compounds for
chrome that would destroy aluminum.
That is how hard it is.
Hold on just a minute.
I'm going to have to respectfully
disagree with some of the above.

•"Decorative chrome plating" (actually it's
chromium, an element) is not clear!
-It is metallic in color---a somewhat "blueish"
metallic color---but still metallic.

-The are color differences, (albeit subtle),
between the somewhat "yellowish color"
of nickel, the somewhat blueish color of
chrome, and the whitish color of silver.

•As to polishing Decorative Chrome:
-It's as shiny as it's ever going to be
when it leaves the Manufacturer/Polisher

•Other than "Black Chrome"...there is
no such thing as "Colored Chrome".

-Instead..those colored coatings are
translucent paints applied over a layer
of tiny aluminum flakes; i.e.:
"chrome-look paint".
-{Note/(warning?):
There's not much, but some, Black Chrome
that may be "black chrome look" paint.)

•Decorative Black Chrome is manufactured
using somewhat different processes than
Decorative Chrome's and Chrome-look-paint's.

-Real, honest-to-goodness, Black chrome
plating is accomplished by using a contaminant
that turns the metal smoky-gray, or deep-black.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
07-22-2016, 09:46 PM
What about a Nissan Murano? Seems to have colored exhaust tips.

Crispy
07-25-2016, 08:38 PM
I want to clarify the colour issue. The chromium itself is a steely grey colour. When put over silver it does go slightly blueish depending on the thickness. When I compared to clearcoat I was trying to demonstrate it is a coating and not a colour. Did not mean to misinform only guide as to what is sctually being work on.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-26-2016, 01:56 AM
I'd stick with the Pinnacle Exhaust cleaner and Brightener and use a MF towel instead of the sponge for delicate surfaces.