PDA

View Full Version : Things we all can do for the less fortunate for the holidays

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Seems that alot of "holiday" threads are being created so I figured I'd add to the pot.

I am hoping to plant a seed in someone in hopes that they will also do something like this where they live.

This year I have started a blanket drive at my work and the building next to my work. (I live in Michigan - bitter cold winters)

I have been collecting blankets and will continue to do so for a few more weeks. Once the collection is done, I will be going to areas that homeless live and passing them out.

Something like this really doesn't take a lot of effort:

I contacted HR at my work and the building next to ours to ensure this was ok
I sent an email to all employees of both buildings letting them know when the "blanket drive" was begining and ending
I made some signs in MS Word that said "Blanket Drive"
I brought some large boxes to work and put the labels on them
Once done I will be passing the balnkets out downtownAside from the gas it will take to drive downtown and drop them off there was little/no investment.

Maybe some of you can think of ways to help out those less fortunate during the holiday season - after all that's really what it's all about.

So any ideas of something like this you'd be willing to do????

Gary Sword
10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Very nice Jason.

dontsleeponit
10-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Theyre having a toys for tots car cruise next weekend in my area, Im going with some friends. I get to see some nice exotics, and everyone in it donates 50$ worth of toys. Should be a good time, and always a good cause, especially around the holdiays.

what you have planned is very involved and pro active :cheers:

P1et
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Nothing wrong with giving back to the community...

Tonya
10-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Nothing wrong with giving back to the community...
:whs:

Jimmie
10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Very nice Jason.

amen brother.

klumzypinoy
10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
That's a really nice thing to do Jason! I sure would love to have a blanket if I was homeless...

ltoman
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Jason, you are awesome!
i wanted to volunteer for our local Habitat for Humaity, but they needed some landscaping, and my local high school kids got it. darn! We always donate to locate shelters - cash, canned food, Christmas toys.

littlemissGTO
10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
My local GTO club is doing several things to help out others over the holidays. We're doing a coat drive, a canned food drive and we are adopting a soldier.
The coats are going to a local homeless shelter.
The canned foods are going family that was involved in a horrible car accident. The mom is now a parapalegic, one child lost all of her adult front teeth, one child broke an arm, and the youngest child seems to be just fine.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-25-2007, 10:14 AM
In all honesty I am doing this for selfish reasons = It feels reall good and that's why!! The first super cold night after my friends and I pass them out is going to be sooooo awesome!!!

As much as i appreciate the kind words my true intent was to share this in hopes that someone else would see just how easy it is to make difference.

LMGTO - Now that is right on target!!! If even one person has a "light bulb" moment and think of something so easy to do as a result of this posting that would rock!!:righton:

klumzypinoy
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM
That's pretty selfish MotorCity :p haha.