PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my hydrotech pad?

Pages : [1] 2

Scoobertin
07-17-2016, 09:04 PM
I have a couple of these that sunk in the middle. How did this happen and how can it be prevented. Nothing was laying on top of them. Only a few were like this the others were ok. I think these are no good anymore. Does not make flush contact. http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t446/scoobertin/Mobile%20Uploads/20160717_195601_zps3b8bux1s.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/scoobertin/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160717_195601_zps3b8bux1s.jpg.html)

vobro
07-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Usually too much product or too much heat

Mike Honcho
07-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Too much heat.

brettS4
07-18-2016, 10:48 AM
That happened to my hydrotechs too. Switched to ThinPros and haven't seen it happen with them.

Scoobertin
07-18-2016, 01:03 PM
You guys are correct, too much heat but how? I have a GG6 and use 7 pads for my vehicle, so it is not like I am using one pad for the whole vehicle. I am doing some correction on my malibu and checked the heat in the middle. Very hot, I can not hold my finger on there. So after about two sections with 4 passes per section, I have to remove pad and let it cool down. What a pain. I was noticing my first hydrotech cyan pad sinking in the middle so that is when I decided to check and remove for cool down from that point on. The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad. After a while the GG6 gets heat soaked in the middle where the pad gets screwed in and I have to let the gg6 cool so the transfer does not happen as quick.
Is it possible gg6 is faulty and overheating. I keep my hands clear of any vents.

Mike Honcho
07-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Too much downward pressure, maybe? Too large an area buffing combined with not "cleaning on the fly" enough? Change one variable at a time and check the pads often for heat.

brettS4
07-18-2016, 01:31 PM
You guys are correct, too much heat but how? I have a GG6 and use 7 pads for my vehicle, so it is not like I am using one pad for the whole vehicle. I am doing some correction on my malibu and checked the heat in the middle. Very hot, I can not hold my finger on there. So after about two sections with 4 passes per section, I have to remove pad and let it cool down. What a pain. I was noticing my first hydrotech cyan pad sinking in the middle so that is when I decided to check and remove for cool down from that point on. The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad. After a while the GG6 gets heat soaked in the middle where the pad gets screwed in and I have to let the gg6 cool so the transfer does not happen as quick.
Is it possible gg6 is faulty and overheating. I keep my hands clear of any vents.

This is exactly what I experience with my GG6, as well. I returned the first GG6 that I bought because it got too hot to touch after just a few minutes of use. The second one is better but still gets heat soaked in the center of the BP. The amount of pressure on the pad is irrelevent in my case.

Does anyone have a GG6 that doesn't heat up that way?

Mike Honcho
07-18-2016, 01:40 PM
The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad.

You sure it's not the other way around with the heat being transferred to the machine from the pad?

Mike Honcho
07-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Properly gauged extension cord?

Rsurfer
07-18-2016, 02:02 PM

If you have several pads you won't have to wait for a cool down. Change pads often and rotate them.
Cutting down on your speed also helps the machine run cooler.

brettS4
07-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Changing the pads with my GG6 helps a little, but the machine still needs a cool-down due to the heat it generates on its own.

My extension cord is heavy duty and the same that I used with my PC7424 for 10 years without ever having a heat issue.

Rsurfer
07-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Changing the pads with my GG6 helps a little, but the machine still needs a cool-down due to the heat it generates on its own.

My extension cord is heavy duty and the same that I used with my PC7424 for 10 years without ever having a heat issue.

Use speed 4 and if that doesn't help, send you machine back to Griot.

dlc95
07-18-2016, 02:25 PM
What backing plate are you using? Lake Country plates have a really short hook system. Long hooks found on some other types of plates might generate too much friction where the hook interfaces with the loop.

Hydrotech pads as mentioned, don't like a lot of pressure, product, or heat. Too much speed isn't good for them either.

Also, if not fully dry after washing, water trapped in the closed cells within the pad will expand, and rupture the cells, thus collapsing them. Too much product saturation will do that too. I'm sure if the air is moist in the pad it can do the same. I put silica gel packs in my box of Hydrotech pads.

I've used Hydrotech pads on my PC 7424, 7424xp, Flex 3401 (when I had it), and a Rupes Duetto. Still have them, and they work just fine. I prefer them with the PC style machine though.

Scoobertin
07-18-2016, 03:02 PM
You sure it's not the other way around with the heat being transferred to the machine from the pad?

Very sure. The heat is being transferred from the gg6. It is isolated where the backing plate screws in. The heat is traveling through the metal. If it were the other way around the whole pad would be hot and not just in the middle portion where it starts. I have the hd model, no extension cord.

dlc95
07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Very sure. The heat is being transferred from the gg6. It is isolated where the backing plate screws in. The heat is traveling through the metal. If it were the other way around the whole pad would be hot and not just in the middle portion where it starts. I have the hd model, no extension cord.

My 1st Gen pc gets hot in the middle too. I'm going to see if Nick can get me the 3M 20206 5" back up pad, because it has a vent hole in the middle that releases out of other holes in the backing pad.