PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Black Ford Mustang GT: oxidation??

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Tran
07-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Hello all!

I just want to make sure this is oxidized paint. Also, is there anything extra I need to do to buff this ride out in addition to my regular steps of compounding, polish, and sealant.

She is looking for the paint to pop as much as possible.

I never dealt with this before.

My supplies:

m105
m205
m100
the complete Rupes 15 mark II system with all the gels
the Meguiars ultimate trio
HD Speed.

Also I have Meguiar's MF cutting and finishing pads

Am I equipped to do this car?

Please help me!

Please and thank you!

LSNAutoDetailing
07-14-2016, 11:52 AM
in 1989, those cars had clear coat. I think you're looking at clear-coat failure.

Dan Tran
07-14-2016, 12:00 PM
in 1989, those cars had clear coat. I think you're looking at clear-coat failure.

I would have to take a second look or snap better pictures.

When there is clear coat failure, does it look like skin peeling from a sun burn?

Sorry I am just trying to better understand.

choijw2
07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I would have to take a second look or snap better pictures.

When there is clear coat failure, does it look like skin peeling from a sun burn?

Sorry I am just trying to better understand.

Clear coat failure will show gradually, when there is no UV protection, it will get oxidated, get hazed/ foggy looking and then eventurally clear coat will peel off.

hard to tell with this pic, but as always start from least aggressive method and more up to compound to find best solution. Since you have whole rupes set, I would just stick to that.

I do find rupes work the best when used it as whole system and smoothness was noticeable when it comes to Rupes 15/21 + rupes pad vs non rupes pad.

If its clear coat failure like Paul pointed out, only way to fix this is new paint job.

GSKR
07-14-2016, 12:16 PM
At the end of the day,you can make it better than it looks now.I would just use 205 on it,and explain to her the car is 27 years old and you can't make a miracle happen.205 then top it with some wax and get paid.

Kamakaz1961
07-14-2016, 12:53 PM
I am wondering if you could use a Glaze to bring back the luster of your ride...But I agree start with the least aggressive method and then go from there. The only other thing I might suggest is applying a glaze like Poorboy's Black Hole. But either way please tell us your outcome as IMO this baby needs some TLC PERIOD!! Pics too!

GSKR
07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Your gonna need a product with a mild cleaning ability,glazes don't provide that,they conceal and there is no concealing going on here.

WeekendDIY
07-14-2016, 01:50 PM
In the first picture showing the passenger rear/window pillar, is that sun reflection?

brettS4
07-14-2016, 02:10 PM
I had a '89 GT convertible that was definitely single stage. It cleaned up extremely well with an MF pad and medium cut compound. You should be good to go with what you have.

We'll expect before/after pics of this since it should be a huge change.

And tell your client to get the rear end gear swapped out to a 3.73!

Dan Tran
07-14-2016, 05:05 PM
In the first picture showing the passenger rear/window pillar, is that sun reflection?

No partly cloudy at the time. But when I looked at it the second time with the sun out, it made no difference... Really!

Dan Tran
07-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Here are two close-up pictures I took when the sun was actually out.

The first one is the left part of the hood and the second one was between center hood and right hood.

Here is a picture of the rear deck with spoiler. Not the best picture.

Either way, hope these extra pictures helps you help me.

WeekendDIY
07-14-2016, 06:44 PM
wow....that paint looks to be in pretty bad shape. I hope you get paid well for this one, seriously. Looks like a lot of work. Some spots may not be salvageable. I know I sound negative and I don't mean to. Just CYA I guess is what I'm getting at.

precisionmobile85
07-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Some spots look like the faint start of clear coat failure but imo overall it looks like its starving for some product! If it does polish out and some gloss come back its gonna def have to be kept up with regularly to keep it that way! Maybe a new reg customer lol

01GreyStangGT
07-14-2016, 06:53 PM
I had a 92 5.0 Red that was single stage from the factory. If it is single stage, soaking Meguiars #7 like Mike Phillips talks about would be good.

Don M
07-15-2016, 12:36 AM
I think several test spot with different products is in order.