PDA

View Full Version : Which microfiber towel?

patricemougeot
07-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Hi Mike,

I have been searching the forum for answers but I failed to find what I'm looking for.

My question: Which microfiber towels should I buy with respect to removing;

1- Compound

2- Polish

3- Wax

Thanks

Strip Poker 388
07-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Thats one thing Ive found with ag, its not just one item thats the best, they want say, like if they say something and doesent work its their fault.There is so many choices its hard to say whats good,better best, It would be nice if the site had a better review and and what sells or whats the most popular.I know when ya call sale they kinda get short with ya when you dont know what you really need/want. Ive been trying to read as much of the forums gathering info etc. They handle almost everything there is out there. lol

Rob;)

VISITOR
07-13-2016, 02:32 PM
buy a dozen or two of these, they can be used for just about anything...
Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel-12.html)

HockeyCrazi
07-13-2016, 03:59 PM
buy a dozen or two of these, they can be used for just about anything...
Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel-12.html)

Dido

2black1s
07-13-2016, 07:49 PM
I may take a bit a flack for this but I'm going to say it anyways... I use general purpose microfibers that I buy locally in bulk (36 pack) for a fraction of the cost (< $0.50 ea,) of specialized auto-detailing microfibers and they do everything I need them to do and do it well.

Although I won't dispute that some microfibers may do certain tasks better than others, I really see the various microfibers as a bit a of a gimmick - Kind of like the golf club(s) that profess to lower your golf score.

A quality general purpose microfiber will do everything pretty well. Sometimes as well or even better than some that cost many times more.

Dereksdtail
07-13-2016, 09:06 PM
I may take a bit a flack for this but I'm going to say it anyways... I use general purpose microfibers that I buy locally in bulk (36 pack) for a fraction of the cost (< $0.50 ea,) of specialized auto-detailing microfibers and they do everything I need them to do and do it well.

Although I won't dispute that some microfibers may do certain tasks better than others, I really see the various microfibers as a bit a of a gimmick - Kind of like the golf club(s) that profess to lower your golf score.

A quality general purpose microfiber will do everything pretty well. Sometimes as well or even better than some that cost many times more.

All the fancy microfiber towels are mostly hype, I sadly wasted some money on them but now mostly buy the bulk towels and they perform exactly the same👍

dcjredline
07-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Same here, buy some general purpose MF towels. Im not keen on the really cheapie bulk ones but I also dont fall for the 400+ gsm softness is best thing. Get some nice 360gsm or less quality ones and they wont harm your paint.

scuff
07-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I just bought two dozen of AG's $20/12 towels in two colors. They seem fine to me. My old towels are used on wheels and GP cleaning, a dozen new ones for polish, and a different color dozen for sealant or wax. I have a few WW glass cloths, too. Washing each type separately prevents contamination. It's a simple, affordable system that works for me.

I think it's more important to have lots of clean, quality towels than a few high priced towels made of woven mink foreskins.

pheerix
07-13-2016, 09:32 PM
The bulk warehouse towels are fine for general purpose. After finding hard plastic bits stuck in some of the towels, I'll never use them again for delicate paintwork. Thick plush "overpriced" towels at what I use for Rinseless and waterless washes. Thin towels just don't have the absorbancy or plushness needed for safe waterless washing.

mwoywod
07-13-2016, 09:38 PM

yep. 99% of detailing on both the interior and exterior of a car can be done with those bulk towels. There may be 1 in 100 black cars you do that can have soft finicky paint and even though those microfibers will still most likely work, i think it's beneficial to still have 3-6 of the higher gsm buffing towels like the ones autogeek carries for when the situation calls for it. I also always use a quality microfiber towel on the clear plastic instrument panels and gauges.

scuff
07-13-2016, 09:40 PM
I can see how the thicker towels would work much better for non-trad washing.

Eldorado2k
07-13-2016, 11:23 PM
I have 3 Supreme 530 Towels [the thick gray plush ones] that I use as my door jamb towels. They work great for that purpose as they're built tough + they're gray so they look the part for dirty jobs. As far as using them on the paint? I really disliked them for that purpose, because they're too thick and grabby, they spend most of the time folding over on themselves and I can't stand that.

Of the "premium" towels, I'd say the blue Miracle Towel is the 1 I actually like and can see being user friendly, but I only have 1 of those towels and it was free. Lol.

I have a boatload of Meguiars Ultimate Wipes, and IMO those towels are absolutely great for compound/polish removal. But they're very costly at regular price.

Other than that I couldn't agree more with 2black1s and Dereksdtail. I think they're spot on.

BudgetPlan1
07-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Have used these with Wolfgang Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze, Uber Ceramic, Fuzion and pretty much anything used to compound, polish , wax and LSP.

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-edgeless-microfiber-6pack.html