PDA

View Full Version : How to choose my first DA buffer

Pages : [1] 2

danh52
07-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I have only used a rotary buffer is the past. I learned back in the day when it was the only choice. I am not a pro detailer but have to detail my 33' RV, moderate oxidation, and am thinking it might be time to try one of the "new fangle" DA buffers. Which would be the best machine to move to from a rotary buffer? I would also use this machine on my corvette, MINI Cooper and pickup so a wide range of vehicle sizes. I'd also like to keep the cost down but I'm ok with investing in a quality tool. If I get a new DA machine should I sell my Makita rotary or keep it and why?

Thanks

cleanmycorolla
07-12-2016, 12:08 PM
The Flex

briarpatch
07-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Griots 6" Random Orbital...known affectionately as the GG6. Plenty of power, good price point, lifetime warranty. Keep your rotary, you never know when you will need it

custmsprty
07-12-2016, 12:13 PM
The Griots G21 System

Mike Phillips
07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Since this is our first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I have only used a rotary buffer is the past. I learned back in the day when it was the only choice.

Me too. Still have my original Makita sitting on the shelf here in my office with my antique wax collection.

I am not a pro detailer but have to detail my 33' RV, moderate oxidation

BOOM! --> right there --> 33' RV with moderate oxidation.

You definitely want a dual action polisher so you don't leave holograms in the finish of your RV.

and am thinking it might be time to try one of the "new fangle" DA buffers.

Which would be the best machine to move to from a rotary buffer? I would also use this machine on my corvette, MINI Cooper and pickup so a wide range of vehicle sizes.

I'd also like to keep the cost down but I'm ok with investing in a quality tool.

The FLEX 3401 is the most powerful orbital polisher on the market since it's gear-driven but because it's gear-driven it also requires more muscle to control and use as compared to a free spinning orbital polisher. Just want to point that out.

If you're not in a hurry the a Griot's Garage 6" dual action polisher could and would tackle all of your projects. If you're in a hurry to get the RV buffed out then the FLEX 3401 would be my choice along with a foam polishing pad and a quality one-step cleaner/wax.

If I get a new DA machine should I sell my Makita rotary or keep it and why?

Thanks

If you don't ever plan on doing any major correction work then you could sell it because a quality dual action polisher can tackle everything you listed without the risk of holograms or burning through the paint.

:)

Mike Phillips
07-12-2016, 12:16 PM
The Griots G21 System

This would also be a good choice especially for the large flat panels of a motorhome.

Mike Phillips
07-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Before you buff out the RV read through this article...

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

And this article,

How many pads do I need to buff out my car? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html)

custmsprty
07-12-2016, 12:22 PM
This would also be a good choice especially for the large flat panels of a motorhome.

Yeah, 21mm throw and 6.5" pads and they have an excellent system approach to polishing and finishing, as does Rupes.

dlc95
07-12-2016, 12:42 PM
That big a piece to polish, with oxidation, Flex 3401.

That's one of the places where that machine excelled for me - oxidation.

Jaretr1
07-12-2016, 01:52 PM
My Vote would be for the Rupes LHR21!

danh52
07-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Fast response time! Thanks to everyone.

So it looks like the Flex and Griots G21 are the 2 main ones. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are both fixed DA types? Can either be considered a "one machine does it all" choice for me? Does the G21 require me to only use Griots pads with it?

The lower section of the RV which includes the doors for the storage compartments is made of injection molded components with the color though the thickness of the material. No worry of buffing through the color there. The main areas of the coach are standard white fiberglass composite panels. The heavy oxidation is in the lower panels as the material it was molded with has always oxidized easily, the white fiberglass is only light oxidation and hazing. What pad and material would work with the lower areas? Or would I be better off using the rotary there and the DA for the other areas? I only want to buy one machine if possible. Can the flex and G21 also be used for waxing?

danh52
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
So, I see the Rupes LHR21 is on a great sale at $320. Based on that, is this one the best choice? Is the longer throw (21mm) ever a problem compared to the flex at 8mm?

GSKR
07-12-2016, 05:01 PM
I would keep the makita,you will never know when you are gonna need it.as far as a da 3401 will probably suit you best plenty of power and deosnt stall at all.

dlc95
07-12-2016, 05:03 PM
So, I see the Rupes LHR21 is on a great sale at $320. Based on that, is this one the best choice? Is the longer throw (21mm) ever a problem compared to the flex at 8mm?

That's a whole other can of worms.

I personally prefer the random orbital machines (Porter Cable, and Rupes at that). The Flex 3401 is a true dual action in that it's a gear driven machine. If you're used to a rotary, the free spindle random orbitals might not give you the "muscle" that you're used to with the rotary. It will not stall on curves and contours, it will not stall under pressure. I hear that the correction ability of the 21 is on part with that of the 3401, but I've never used a 21. I feel I get the results I like in good time with the random orbital tools I have (7424xp/Duetto).

GSKR
07-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Fast response time! Thanks to everyone.

So it looks like the Flex and Griots G21 are the 2 main ones. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are both fixed DA types? Can either be considered a "one machine does it all" choice for me? Does the G21 require me to only use Griots pads with it?

The lower section of the RV which includes the doors for the storage compartments is made of injection molded components with the color though the thickness of the material. No worry of buffing through the color there. The main areas of the coach are standard white fiberglass composite panels. The heavy oxidation is in the lower panels as the material it was molded with has always oxidized easily, the white fiberglass is only light oxidation and hazing. What pad and material would work with the lower areas? Or would I be better off using the rotary there and the DA for the other areas? I only want to buy one machine if possible. Can the flex and G21 also be used for waxing?
You can always mix up your process,rotary first on certain parts then 3401 after to remove halograms left by the makita.with the 3401 mckees fast compound with the right cutting pad can make panels very nice.mckees has a full line of rv products.