PDA

View Full Version : Black plastic door handles

Pages : [1] 2

briarpatch
07-11-2016, 10:34 AM
My 2013 Tundra has black plastic door handles...and...honestly...they look like crap. Short of replacing them with chrome, any ideas how to spruce them up? I was thinking maybe Solution Finish.....

Mike Phillips
07-11-2016, 11:08 AM
My 2013 Tundra has black plastic door handles...and...honestly...they look like crap. Short of replacing them with chrome, any ideas how to spruce them up? I was thinking maybe Solution Finish.....

Solution Finish works very good as long as you start with clean plastic. Then after using Solution Finish the first time continue maintain the part, trim or components with more Solution Finish or a quality trim dressing like CarPro PEARL

:)

briarpatch
07-11-2016, 11:30 AM
thank you

Bobby B.
07-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Solution Finish will bring back the black. Once the Solution Finish has fully cured apply the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.
Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)
Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html)

scuff
07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I've found that the texture on those handles is very good at holding residue. If you don't already, try masking them when working on the paint. Scrubbing with a microfiber cloth or a soft-medium stiff brush (toothbrush or boar's hair brush) and an all purpose cleaner usually gets mine clean.

briarpatch
07-11-2016, 12:43 PM
I've found that the texture on those handles is very good at holding residue. If you don't already, try masking them when working on the paint. Scrubbing with a microfiber cloth or a soft-medium stiff brush (toothbrush or boar's hair brush) and an all purpose cleaner usually gets mine clean.

Agreed.....got lazy during an AIO application.....stupidly thought it would not stain trim/plastic....I was wrong....managed to get that clean with Megs APC...but still hate the faded look of the handles

mwoywod
07-14-2016, 12:57 AM
after you clean them with megs apc put a coat of megs ultimate liquid wax, and maintain it with d156 x-press wax or Ultimate quick wax. The door handles on my 2004 dodge dakota still look new and I have never used a dedicated protectant or dressing on them once in the past 5 years and they look incredible (plus when it rains i never have to worry about it running down my paint). Once I'm out of my bottle of ULW i'll just use opti-seal and optimum car wax to maintain it. But if your black trim looks fated I would definitely go with Ultimate Liquid Wax to bring back the deep black look.

fly07sti
07-14-2016, 01:30 AM
On my 2010 Tundra door handles I have used Dlux, SF, WETS, Black Wow Pro and a couple other products that AG doesn't carry. Nothing has been great on the door handles or the tail gate handle. But out of all of them, Black Wow has worked better than any of the others. Ya it only lasts a couple of months, but it doesn't streak and it has just the right finish and takes minutes to apply.
Now for the mirrors, bed railings and bumper trim, Dlux has been going strong for over a year!

briarpatch
07-14-2016, 05:58 AM
after you clean them with megs apc put a coat of megs ultimate liquid wax, and maintain it with d156 x-press wax or Ultimate quick wax. The door handles on my 2004 dodge dakota still look new and I have never used a dedicated protectant or dressing on them once in the past 5 years and they look incredible (plus when it rains i never have to worry about it running down my paint). Once I'm out of my bottle of ULW i'll just use opti-seal and optimum car wax to maintain it. But if your black trim looks fated I would definitely go with Ultimate Liquid Wax to bring back the deep black look.

Interesting idea......I have a bottle of ULW on the shelf....will do a test this weekend

briarpatch
07-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Okay...so had some free time...decided to try the Megs ULW suggestion....never would have though that this would work....but they definitely look better....thanks for the idea nwoywod

mwoywod
07-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Okay...so had some free time...decided to try the Megs ULW suggestion....never would have though that this would work....but they definitely look better....thanks for the idea nwoywod

No, thank YOU for keeping an open mind and at least giving it a shot

briarpatch
07-19-2016, 06:11 AM
No, thank YOU for keeping an open mind and at least giving it a shot

Just got some Blackfire Total Trim Sealant....gonna do a comparison test for longevity and see which one lasts longer

prr
07-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Just got some Blackfire Total Trim Sealant....gonna do a comparison test for longevity and see which one lasts longer

Briarpatch, please post back in a month or two when you have come up with a winner. I have discolored door handles and want to know which of these two products worked best.

briarpatch
07-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Briarpatch, please post back in a month or two when you have come up with a winner. I have discolored door handles and want to know which of these two products worked best.

will do......as a side note...applied the Blackfire to the mud flaps on the truck...initial results are awesome

briarpatch
10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Sorry it took so long to post my results. I used Megs ULW on the back door handles, and Blackfire Total Trim Sealant on the front ones. Blackfire won out. Neither product really produced great results as far as the handles deepening in color, but the BF lasted longer and beaded water longer.