PDA

View Full Version : Correction problem

Pages : [1] 2

rmcnamara
07-10-2016, 06:31 PM
I started try to get rid of some of the swirls and scratches on my Kia today. I used my HF da with a hex logic orange pad and griots correcting crime. I was able to get some of the smaller scratches out. And it brightened up the paint. But I still have some deeper scratches that it didn't touch.

Does anyone have any idea of where I could go from here to try and get some of these scratches out.

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2016, 08:28 PM
You might be better off not trying to remove deeper scratches. Any kind of polishing you're removing clear coat that you don't have much of. Maybe you have some pictures of the defects you're trying to remove?

If you are dead set on removing them, you'll want to move up to a microfiber cutting pad. I'm not sure where that Griot's correcting cream sits on the aggressiveness scale, you might want to try something like Menzerna FG 400 or whatever they call it now.

Maestro Sam
07-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Can't really help without picture but if you are skilled enough to wetsand, it will certainly remove or dramatically imrpove deep scratches.

rmcnamara
07-10-2016, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of trying a compound like fg400.

When I put too much product on the pad does that diminish the effectiveness of it. I think I tend to use too much product.

Tomorrow I am going to try and get a picture in the sun of the scratches

custmsprty
07-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Less is more with polishes, that's for sure. Do you have the "correcting cream" or the fast correcting cream" ?

rmcnamara
07-10-2016, 09:08 PM
I have the correcting cream. I noticed when I turned the machine off I had an excess amount of product on the surface.

custmsprty
07-10-2016, 09:17 PM
The entire line of Griots new creams are excellent. I highly recommend staying within the family of a product line. This way when you do other vehicles and have differing challenges you can adapt your product and pad combination accordingly. In this case, instead of jumping to another product you may want to consider a more aggressive pad or mf pad. I'll bump up my pad before changing product (staying within that products family) before I change the product. If that doesn't work, in your case I'd move up to Fast Correcting Cream. I have the whole line up of these products and they are excellent.

Eldorado2k
07-10-2016, 09:19 PM
How much product are you applying to the pad before each section?

rmcnamara
07-10-2016, 09:26 PM
4 quarter size drops

Eldorado2k
07-10-2016, 09:29 PM
4 quarter size drops

That's too much. Try 3 pea sized dots after cleaning the pad with a pad cleaning brush.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Can't really help without picture but if you are skilled enough to wetsand, it will certainly remove or dramatically imrpove deep scratches.

Haven't we had enough wetsanding accidents on the forum for one day?

GSKR
07-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Yeah I think so.

maestrodetailer
07-10-2016, 09:56 PM

Yeah I think so.

Naw not really. Hence if he is skilled enough!

dlc95
07-10-2016, 10:16 PM
What speed we're you using the machine?
How much pressure?
How did you apply the polish to the pad?
How many passes did you do?
Where you able to maintain pad rotation during your process?

A simple alteration of technique might be all you need to accomplish your goals.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-11-2016, 12:52 AM
The entire line of Griots new creams are excellent. I highly recommend staying within the family of a product line. This way when you do other vehicles and have differing challenges you can adapt your product and pad combination accordingly. In this case, instead of jumping to another product you may want to consider a more aggressive pad or mf pad. I'll bump up my pad before changing product (staying within that products family) before I change the product. If that doesn't work, in your case I'd move up to Fast Correcting Cream. I have the whole line up of these products and they are excellent.
I like fast correct and correct much better than cut and adapt. Which do you prefer? I know you're a huge HD fan.