PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted for 2005 BMW Sedan Jet Black

mercury26
07-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I recently acquired a 2005 BMW 300i Sedan painted in Jet Black. I swore that I would never own another black car, but the car was too good to pass up. With that being said, I need to do some paint correction, polishing and waxing and would like to get some advice. For years, I used local car care products from Prima Care while they have some really good stuff it feels like I should try some new products. After some research, here is what I am looking at for paint correction and protection.

Wash (soap either BMW, Sonax Gloss or Prima Mystique) with Two Bucket Method

Waffle Weave Dry

Menzerna FG400 or PF2500 w/ Yellow Pad

Menzerna SF4000 w/ Green Pad

Menzerna Jescar Power Lock w/ Black Pad (or maybe Sonax Polymer Net Shield)

Is it good to foam soap the car? How much soap do I load in the foamer?

I have a Porter Cable 7336 polisher, but considering upgrading to something newer. The Flex Tool XC 3401 VRG Orbital Polisher looks interesting, but maybe I am good with what I have already.

What speed should I set my Porter-Cable 7336 for each step?

I appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Chuck

TTQ B4U
07-09-2016, 09:13 PM
I recently acquired a 2005 BMW 300i Sedan painted in Jet Black. I swore that I would never own another black car, but the car was too good to pass up. With that being said, I need to do some paint correction, polishing and waxing and would like to get some advice.

Congrats on the pick up. I know your pain on color choice. My Audi is Brilliant Black which is essencially a pure deep black.

Wash (soap either BMW, Sonax Gloss or Prima Mystique) with Two Bucket Method
Waffle Weave Dry
Menzerna FG400 or PF2500 w/ Yellow Pad
Menzerna SF4000 w/ Green Pad
Menzerna Jescar Power Lock w/ Black Pad (or maybe Sonax Polymer Net Shield)

FG400/4000 are good choices and a great combo. Ideal for our German Paint and will serve you well. Pad wise is where I would suggest not using Yellow unless you absolutely need to. Likely too much and I would suggest you go with an Orange Pad. I've yet to really need a yellow and can show you some really bad stuff I've done. Just my thoughts.

For the SF4000 I would go with a white pad. Green will work if that's what you have but IMO you won't need the extra firmness. SF4000 finishes very nicely with white. Been there done that. Powerlock is an awesome sealant and I'm sure you'll love it. Easy as can be on and off.

Looking forward to seeing your before and after work.

mercury26
07-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I was thinking Powerlock as a sealant with a layer of Mezerna wax to top it off.

mercury26
07-09-2016, 09:53 PM
BTW, love the Audi. I am a lifelong German car guy (VW, Audi, Porsche and BMW). I have owned them all.

TTQ B4U
07-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I was thinking Powerlock as a sealant with a layer of Mezerna wax to top it off.

Not needed but I do like to use a wax to help compliment the tone and depth. Collinite 915 or Blackfire Montan are great.

In place of Powerlock I just started using Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html) and love it. It's a synthetic sealant and one I started using due in part to it's resistance to deteriorating in high temps.

mercury26
07-09-2016, 11:39 PM
I will check out the Finish Kare. Are you able to apply it with the Porter Cable and black pad?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-10-2016, 02:13 AM
Congrats on picking up the BMW. I have a pair of jet black 3 series as well.

Your list looks good. Jet black is usually pretty easy to correct. A test spot will help you determine what is needed in terms of products. If you do need to get aggressive, FG400/Orange should be more than enough to handle just about any defects you may come across. SF4000/White has enough polishing ability in it to clear up ANY hazing left behind from the first step and and leave the paint ready for protection.

The 3401 and Hybrid pads are the way to go if you decide to upgrade. However there is another FLEX machine coming later in the year called the XCE. This will be an update to the 3401.

Have you thought about putting a coating on the BMW?

Paul A.
07-10-2016, 08:19 AM
That model year and color was right in the middle of the "ridiculously soft" BMW Jet Black discussions on some of the online forums back then. How does it seem to you with regard to hard vs soft? Do you get marring relatively easy when you wash and dry? I mention this only because the approaches were different with the super soft paint at the time and FG400 and an orange pad, nevermind LC yellow, would invite problems. As the saying goes...always start with the least aggressive approach and gauge up from there.

The tough part with this paint was how sometimes it is super soft and other times it is reported typical for BMW paint in the medium to hard area.

dlc95
07-10-2016, 08:58 AM
I have a client with an 05 Jet Black BMW.

I initially started with a Flex 3401, and Meguiar's M100 + Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech on speed 5 then 6 with firm pressure, four passes. It cleaned up some of the lighter swirls, and haze.

Then I got a fresh pad, and tried Menzerna FG400. Got very similar results.

Switched to the Rupes Duetto, with their blue/blue compound and microfiber pad. I was at speed 6, and firm pressure. This was before I learned how to properly use the system, and still had a modded set up. I over primed my pad, got a ton of dust, but with better results than previous.

Then I tried the Porter Cable 7424xp. Got a green Buff and Shine (hex face version), and Meguiar's M100.... That was the ticket. I also tried their orange and yellow pads, but they didn't even come close to the cut I was getting. They never do. They were also much more uncomfortable to use on that machine. I was at speed 6 with firm to light pressure. This is one of the reasons that the Porter Cable has so much of my praise. That thing came through when I needed it to. That wasn't the only time that happened to me either. Actually a referral from that client with the BMW, that was another solid black car, a Ford Fusion. I went through the same thing with the flex, the yellow and orange pads, green pads on the Flex, and ended up with the green pads on the PC, but this time with Ultimate Compound. It was beautiful.

I had another nasty Ford, a Fiesta that responded well to the Porter Cable, green pad, and FG400 too.

mercury26
07-10-2016, 05:47 PM
In place of Powerlock I just started using Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html) and love it. It's a synthetic sealant and one I started using due in part to it's resistance to deteriorating in high temps.

Would I apply the Finish Kare by hand or with the Porter Cable?

mercury26
07-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Have you thought about putting a coating on the BMW?

Besides sealant and/or wax, or you referring to something else entirely?

TTQ B4U
07-10-2016, 08:25 PM
I will check out the Finish Kare. Are you able to apply it with the Porter Cable and black pad?

you can but honestly it goes on very thin even by hand. very easy on and off.

weeecho
07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Great combo flex 3401 with Orange CCS and fg400, the sf4500 with black (dark grey) and power lock by hand Or with red pad

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Besides sealant and/or wax, or you referring to something else entirely?

Yes. Have you thought about installing a paint coating?

There are quite a few out their to choose from. This one is very easy to use and looks incredible.
Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-ceramic-coating.html)