PDA

View Full Version : Which Clay Bar

Pages : [1] 2

C6 4BOB
06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a new four month old C6 Corvette (garage queen). 1000 miles. When I got the car I received it not detailed by the dealer. I removed the plastic shipping cover, washed and washed the car. I then applied Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo, followed by two coats of Pinnacle Souveran Paste. I frequently use a quick detailer.
I am considering using a clay bar. Would the Pinnacle Orginal Clay or the new Pinnacle Ultra Clay be the best for my application.
Also I have been using Meguires Quick Detailer and I am considering switching to Pinnacle Crystal Mist, any advise pro or con??

Meghan
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
I would go with new Ultra, its all you need at this time.

BILL
06-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I would go with new Ultra, its all you need at this time.

:iagree: Very gentle......that's what i used on my new car also........:)

Reddwarf
06-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I recently used the Pinnacle Ultra and found it to be very easy to use and it did a great job. Even though it is a SMALL bar, I cut it in half and it spread out nicely.

Jonboy
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Another vote for ultra clay here

Also i prefer crystal mist to megs

dakevmann
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah i would go with Pinnacles Ultra Poly clay easy on the wax and sealant but will do the job for what you need.

supercharged
06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
:iagree: Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay with Pinnacle Clay Lube will be the best option. Clay is very soft and elastic, and lube smells like melon.
:cheers:

dakevmann
06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
:iagree:Yeah i fotgot the Pinnacle clay lube great stuff with a wonderfull fruity melon smell. I wished they would put that smell into one of those Air Wisp things for the house my wife loves to buy those. :righton:

ScottB
06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
You likely can get away with the Ultra Clay but I prefer a hardy clay for the first time. Remember Vettes are shipped via truck. I really love the Pinnacle Poly Clay (yellow) also , but missing on web so I might pickup a cheapy bar like the Optimum to use less frequently. (twice a year)

Torsion Tool
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
What about using on a car that hasn't been polished since repaintint four years ago? Which to start with or save the regular clay for undercarriage and rough spots?

abrcrombe
06-27-2006, 08:05 PM
You can go over the whole car with regular clay. Ultra poly is just designed to be used more frequently than 2 times a year. Regular clay will pick up a lot of the specs of junk in your car just fine.

Torsion Tool
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks, abrcrombe. You guessed it. Living in the city I must travel two hours just to get to a friend's place to detail. Two or three times per year is all I can reasonably hope for. Would love to spend my monthly parking garage fees on products. That said, I will be ordering a PC kit by week's end. Which is the best value, the Edge 2000 or a polish package; I need everything!

abrcrombe
06-27-2006, 08:57 PM
If you don't have any products, I would go for a products package. The Lake Country pads are excellent, and they will work great for you. The Edge Pads offer convenience, but if you are rarely going to get a chance to detail, don't spend the extra money right now. You don't need it. In what condition is your car's paint. A little insight will help me recommend a kit for you.

Torsion Tool
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, it is fairly decent. I was hoping to find a good shop, but gave up in exasperation. No one wanted to polish the few small scratches, and past bad experiences hurt the finish; most professionals I interviewed admitted that they knock off six to a dozen cars a day, "full treatment", whatever that is. It was painted candy apple green four years ago. No glaring scrapes, mostly normal wear for a car infrequently used but never polished. Am hoping to buff away the minor flaws until it can be repainted in a year or two. From five feet away it still looks great. Have decided to shampoo, clay, spot compound, polish X 2, glaze, wax X 2. Lean toward KlasseAIO and SG, but am considering Pinnacle XMT, Poorboys or Wolfgang HG and DG before the Souverain. What would you do?

Torsion Tool
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Almost forgot: I've been using the Mother's three step system with bug remover and pre-cleaner. It just isn't enough, and now I have the typical scratches and chips, oxidation and pollution mess one expects from mostly city driving with occasional long jaunts for hunting and camping. The drek from the other cars in the garage and roads truly is awful.