PDA

View Full Version : Product Compatibility

Brian P
07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would jump right in with a quick question. I'd like to know the compatibility of a few of the products I have in my closet. I plan on detailing my wife's car this weekend and these are the steps I plan to follow:

Wash car with Dawn detergent
Clay bar car with quick detailer
rerinse and dry car
apply Poor boys Black hole Glaze
apply Optimum Optiseal
Apply Poor Boys Natty Wax
Spray Detail to remove residue.

Are these all compatible?
How long should I wait between the black hole and the Optiseal stage?
How long should I wait between the Optiseal and the Natty Wax stage?

Thanks for the help,
Brian

ViperGuy21
07-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, DONT USE DAWN! It is not good for the paint and doesn't actually strip anything. Use a high quality car soap, like optimum car wash, or pretty much anything else sold here on AG.

I don't think it's a very good idea to lay down black hole before a spray sealant like opti-seal. I haven't used that product, but I have used something very similar in Blackfire Crystal seal and I know it needs bare paint to bond correctly.

I would recommend either, just opti-seal, or blackhole and Natty's wax. If the paint has some damage I would go the glaze and wax route to minimize those imperfections. As far as I know, opti-seal has no filling abilities so it won't minimize any defects.

Hope that helps/clears things up!

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Agreed with ViperGuy, DONT USE DAWN!!!! It can dry out your paint and it leaves behind surfactants that are meant for clean dishes, not clean cars.

Wash the car, then rinse. Then use your wash mitt to wring out fresh soapy water on the paint and use this as clay lubricant. Then use the hose with no nozzle to sheet water off the car. Use the OptiSeal as you are drying the car. If you still feel you need to add wax after you're done, that's your call. Save yourself lots of time this way! 8-)

Brian P
07-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys the paint is in pretty good shape so I'll try just the Opti-seal alone after claying.
I thought it was okay to use the dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the paint of old wax and oils to prep before rewaxing. I think I got that from the Zaino site.

ViperGuy21
07-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys the paint is in pretty good shape so I'll try just the Opti-seal alone after claying.
I thought it was okay to use the dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the paint of old wax and oils to prep before rewaxing. I think I got that from the Zaino site.
Well, there's your problem lol

precisionmobile85
07-09-2016, 08:30 AM
I've seen other posts where people put DAWN in their first step with prepping and I didn't look it up but I thought it was some new car wash or shampoo I never heard of....not dawn dish soap!!!! Lol

ronkh57
07-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Black hole and optiseal work fine together

apply bh, remove haze, apply opti, 3 hours later admire car. (opti needs time to cure)
tomorrow apply wax, remove haze admire car a couple of hours later

shadwell
07-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Poorboys glaze is meant to be topped with a sealant..
I use White diamond after a full correction and before colinite 845 to try and maximise gloss on my white merc paint..
Never any issue with colinite application or durability of protection there after..