PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Airplanes?

CC268
07-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

About a year ago I invested in a lot of auto detailing product/equipment. I also read Mike's book "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine". Anyways I detail just for fun, I don't do it as a business...but I recently got my Private Pilot's License and may be buying an older Piper Cherokee (or something similar) in the next 6 months or so. I was wondering if airplane paint is similar to auto paint? Can I use the same product (and my Griot's Garage Dual Action Polisher) on an airplane?

Thanks.

GSKR
07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Sure you can.It depends on the condition of paint and how far you want to perfect the paint with different compounds and pads.airplane is different from autos much much harder to pull out a shine and defect free paint.monday I'm working on a 1982 Cessna ,paint is dull and lifeless.first plan of action is a rotary then finish down with gg da.airplane paint deosnt like to much heat generated from polishing.The paint gets matted and turns dull again,so situations and plan of attack varies from the condition of paint.But with the right pads and products you can achieve a nice shine with that machine with moderate oxidation.

CC268
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Sure you can.It depends on the condition of paint and how far you want to perfect the paint with different compounds and pads.airplane is different from autos much much harder to pull out a shine and defect free paint.monday I'm working on a 1982 Cessna ,paint is dull and lifeless.first plan of action is a rotary then finish down with gg da.airplane paint deosnt like to much heat generated from polishing.The paint gets matted and turns dull again,so situations and plan of attack varies from the condition of paint.But with the right pads and products you can achieve a nice shine with that machine with moderate oxidation.

So if the paint is in good shape I could just use my white or blue pads...I really like the HD Speed AIO product, but I have Pinnacle and Collinite as well...would any of those products be alright on the paint?

AuroraDetailing
07-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Just don't get anything in the static ports or pitot tubes.

High Caliber
07-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Just don't get anything in the static ports or pitot tubes.

Was going to say be careful and mindful of sensitive areas. Otherwise yes I'd treat the paint much the same as a car, always do some test spots.

Congrats on the Pilots License as well!

CC268
07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Great thanks for the help guys! I knew to stay away from the pitot and static port haha...if I end up with a plane I will definitely have to try out my Griots on it (if it needs it).

GSKR
07-08-2016, 05:00 PM
You may need more of a aggressive compound and polish.without pics hard to say,a moderately oxidation plane would call for orange foam pads or micro cutting pads with menzerna products or the Megs 300 compound.I would wait to spend money try what you have and purchase a plane then post some pics.Those pads that you have will do nothing,so that's a definitive buy from the start.also a lot of these planes are single stage paint which will call for some serious compound and polish.post back when you have plane.

CC268
07-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Wait where did I say what pads I have? I have both orange and yellow pads for more aggressive needs...anyways....the point of this thread was just to see if it was even safe to use auto detailing products on an airplane...I figured they would be.

GSKR
07-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Sure it's safe no promblems you will be good to go.If you get a single stage white plane stay away from colored products they will stain have a great day.