PDA

View Full Version : Dlux application question

ObsessiveAutoDetail
07-07-2016, 08:22 PM
I have finally caved into the trim "coating" realm. I bought some Dlux. I am testing it on my 2016 Ford Escape. Application on the more smooth trim and moldings is pretty simple. However, the front bumper and valance are VERY textured and that makes application very difficult. Is anyone familiar with the newer Escape front bumper trim and have any tips or tricks for conquering these highly textured areas? Many thanks.

custmsprty
07-07-2016, 08:27 PM
I have finally caved into the trim "coating" realm. I bought some Dlux. I am testing it on my 2016 Ford Escape. Application on the more smooth trim and moldings is pretty simple. However, the front bumper and valance are VERY textured and that makes application very difficult. Is anyone familiar with the newer Escape front bumper trim and have any tips or tricks for conquering these highly textured areas? Many thanks.

Yup and my Rogue has the same type of trim and DLux is on my shelf too so when you figure it out let us know how the best way to apply it is. In the meantime I'm going to keep using WG Trim Sealant. :dblthumb2:

rodneypierce
07-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Couldnt you use a foam applicator to apply it? Like a standard foam wax applicator? Then just wipe it away like any other coating?

ObsessiveAutoDetail
07-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Couldnt you use a foam applicator to apply it? Like a standard foam wax applicator? Then just wipe it away like any other coating?

Dunno. Seems wasteful.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
07-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Yup and my Rogue has the same type of trim and DLux is on my shelf too so when you figure it out let us know how the best way to apply it is. In the meantime I'm going to keep using WG Trim Sealant. :dblthumb2:

I love the WG Trim Sealant. I may just keep using that. It hasn't let me down, just wanted something with greater longevity.

Setec Astronomy
07-08-2016, 06:41 AM
When you say textured do you mean spokes/ribs/slots/etc? That's what put me off of coatings on things like wiper cowls that have those kinds of features. You can't get it in the nooks and crannies, and if you do you wind up applying too much to other areas or disturbing the coating while it's flashing.

I did find some interesting foam makeup applicators at Harmon's that I've been using for various things, they come in round and wedge shapes and are cheap enough to throw out after you use them.

rodneypierce
07-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Dunno. Seems wasteful.

Thats the only thing I use to apply coatings. Works just fine. And hasnt been "wasteful" in the least in my experience.