PDA

View Full Version : Protection?

makdaddy626
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Other than beading, how do you assess the protective value of a product? I know that bees wax can causing beading but offers little if any protection. Is it even possible to test manufacturers claims regarding protection?

klumzypinoy
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
It's hard to tell when there's no more beading...I read somewhere that the beading is from the oils of the carnauba wax, and there's still carnauba wax left, but no oils that enhance the look and bead the water. I believe it was someone from Poorboy's World..

supercharged
10-23-2007, 12:39 AM
if finish does not bead (wax)/nor sheet water (sealants), there is defenetely no protection.

Mr Dream Machines
10-23-2007, 03:11 AM
I go by lack of sheeting (a puddle on the paint), contaminants sticking more than usual and difficulty to clean the car.

TOGWT
10-23-2007, 03:52 AM
if finish does not bead (wax)/nor sheet water (sealants), there is defenetely no protection.

Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Detail University - Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1770-does-product-durability-beading-sheeting.html#post6454)

supercharged
10-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Detail University - Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1770-does-product-durability-beading-sheeting.html#post6454)
product durability isn't just about beading/sheeting (as beeswax will offer a lot of beading action)...but one thing I know for sure - when there is absolutely no protection water will almost literally be "absorbed" into paint.

makdaddy626
10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not really asking, how do you know when it's time to re-apply wax or sealant, or whether the paint is protected absent beading... I'm wondering, how do we know that the paint is ever protected?

EXAMPLE: I put two coats of brand X wax/sealant on my car and wait 24 hours... if it rains, it will bead, but, how do I KNOW that the paint is protected from things like acid rain, bug guts, UV rays, etc. It seems like I have to just trust the manufacturers claims, right?

And that's ok, to an extent, I trust the people at AG and most all the lines of products they carry, but, if you read the product material, you'll see every product claim to look the best, offer the best protection, and go on and off the easiest. We can "test" most of the factors - looks are subjective, just apply, observe and forma an opinion - basically the same thing with ease of use, try it and see you will KNOW if it went on and off easily, BUT, is there a way to really evaluate the level of protection offered by any given product (and don't confuse Protection with Longevity).