PDA

View Full Version : Getting tire dressing out of tire brush

uhohitsstevo
07-07-2016, 05:30 PM
I am finding it really hard to get the tire dressing out of my tire brush no matter what type of degreaser or apc I use. does anyone have any tips for this. I use a gel based tire dressing so when i clean the tires, little black things come off the brush and get on the wheel if they hit.

scuff
07-07-2016, 05:31 PM
I am finding it really hard to get the tire dressing out of my tire brush no matter what type of degreaser or apc I use. does anyone have any tips for this. I use a gel based tire dressing so when i clean the tires, little black things come off the brush and get on the wheel if they hit.

What brush and dressing are you using?

uhohitsstevo
07-07-2016, 05:46 PM
It is an adams polishes tire brush and it is black magic tire gel.

LEDetailing
07-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Xenit citrus cleaner is great at removing greasy or oily substances. As a bonus, it is a great tar remover and is fairly inexpensive. I have been using this since seeing an ad in Motor Trend when I was a kid. Autogeek carries it. I ordered some a few months ago, why I only ordered one can is beyond me.

scuff
07-07-2016, 06:10 PM
The manufacturer recommends using a sponge for application, but if you want to keep using a brush, a pressure washer may be able to blast most of the gel out of the bristles. Even then, I think you run the risk of bristles flinging gel onto the wheels once it loads up with a little.

uhohitsstevo
07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
The manufacturer recommends using a sponge for application, but if you want to keep using a brush, a pressure washer may be able to blast most of the gel out of the bristles. Even then, I think you run the risk of bristles flinging gel onto the wheels once it loads up with a little.

I apply with a sponge applicator. I am using the brush to clean the tires off when i was the car.

Riff
07-07-2016, 07:23 PM
That's a sure sign it's time for a different tire dressing.

scuff
07-07-2016, 07:55 PM
That's a sure sign it's time for a different tire dressing.

Probably so. I've used that stuff and it's a needless mess, IME.

I'm probably in the minority here, but if I was to design the perfect tire dressing, it would make the rubber look like it did when new, no more gloss than that. I apply one coat of Stoner® More Shine Tire Shine (http://www.autogeek.net/stontirshin.html) and call it good for a month or more. It's easy to apply, lasts well enough, and is also easy to clean off of wheels.

AuroraDetailing
07-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Are you saying you use the same brush to clean the tire AND apply the dressing or the dressing is coming off the tire and into the brush? Definitely get a different dressing if it comes off like that. If you are just using the same brush, get a different brush for each purpose. Each of my brushes are used for one single purpose only, aside from my drill brush which comes in handy for a lot of stuff.

scuff
07-07-2016, 09:12 PM
I apply with a sponge applicator. I am using the brush to clean the tires off when i was the car.

That's one of the reasons I don't like tire gel. IIRC, I used a pressure washer to blow most of the gel + accumulated crud off of the tires. You could give that a try and see if it removes enough that it doesn't fling gelblek about ... or try another tire dressing.

uhohitsstevo
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Are you saying you use the same brush to clean the tire AND apply the dressing or the dressing is coming off the tire and into the brush? Definitely get a different dressing if it comes off like that. If you are just using the same brush, get a different brush for each purpose. Each of my brushes are used for one single purpose only, aside from my drill brush which comes in handy for a lot of stuff.

I am using an applicator to apply and when I clean the wheels and tires I have two different brushes. One with soft and one with hard. When I am removing the old dressing it gets gunked up in the brush I use on the tires. I am asking how to remove the junk aka old dressing that is on the Brissles from cleaning the tires

PA DETAILER
07-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Bug & tar remover.

briarpatch
07-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Another reason to switch to a water-based tire dressing...like Chemical Guys VRP. If you're stuck on using a gel, I've used Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel and not had this issue when cleaning the tires. Give Greased Lighting a try cleaning the Black Magic off your tires.