PDA

View Full Version : First time using Rupes 15 mark II and I must be doing something wrong...

Pages : [1] 2

rodneypierce
07-06-2016, 06:57 PM
I just purchased a Rupes 15 Mark II polisher here a month or so ago. I have used it two times, and on anything but a perfectly flat panel, it seems to stall out very easy. I would arguably say its stalling out nearly as easy as my PC used to.

I have tried different pads, speeds, pressure, etc. Nothing really seems to help.

Tried 6" microfiber pads, 6" LC pads, 5.5" hydrotech pads. All between speeds 4 and 5.5 or so.

What am I doing wrong? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

rodneypierce
07-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Oh, I come from a flex 3401 and a PC. So have had plenty of experience using those.

swanicyouth
07-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Get Rupes pads.

Use Rupes polishes.

Marc08EX
07-06-2016, 07:34 PM
How concave is the surface? How much pressure are you putting down?

KS_Detailing
07-06-2016, 07:40 PM
washer mod it, get some 5" mf cutting & practice. It shouldnt be stalling, maybe you are using it in areas where a 3" pad or smaller would be better. The mark II has some power, I run it on 3.5.-4, havent even tried to go higher yet and I use the tool on a daily basis.

rodneypierce
07-06-2016, 07:41 PM
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p347/rodcpierce/IMG_20160705_232310_zpsjtdzjm6o.jpg

I have been anywhere from very light pressure to heavy pressure. Didnt seem to make much difference to be honest. Anything over just the slightest amount of pressure on the head seemed to stall it out pretty easy.

Marc08EX
07-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Which part of the car did you experience stalling?

Nice car btw!

rodneypierce
07-06-2016, 07:49 PM
The hood (which is to be expected, and the door panels where they contour (right above the molding)

And thank you! It is my baby :-)

SRConcepts
07-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Nice E550!

FWIW, on my SL65's hood (also has the 4-light arrangement), I have found that the contours really don't like anything bigger than a 3" pad, especially on a DA. It's a very complex area to polish, I usually use my rotary and a careful touch for these areas. I have no problems using my Mark II 15 on the rest of the car, though.

dlc95
07-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Did Mike's instructional book come with it? If not, consider purchasing it. Totally changed my approach with the system.

Also, search for Rupes articles by Todd Helme. Since he's been working for Rupes, his content has been infinitely helpful.

Give your self some time getting acquainted with the machine. When I first started using mine, it stalled out way more than my PC. After some time I was able to finesse the machine and get it to perform beautifully on all areas of the vehicles I work on. It truly is a dance between man and machine with the Rupes. The word that comes to mind is "refinement". Everything about the system is refined - the tool, the compounds, the pads, etc so I had to refine my approach

Also keep in mind that of it stalls, the orbit is still doing work.

As mentioned earlier, consider adding at least the blue and yellow polishes, and pads.I don't washer mod my tools either. I use them the way they were shipped from the factory.

osiapstndp
07-06-2016, 08:57 PM
I just purchased a Rupes 15 Mark II polisher here a month or so ago. I have used it two times, and on anything but a perfectly flat panel, it seems to stall out very easy. I would arguably say its stalling out nearly as easy as my PC used to.

We share common symptoms. A couple months ago I started using my Griot's Garage Boss G15 and I notice similar results - it stalls with the slightest pressure, and this includes the washer mod, speed five, the white fast correcting pad and the orange correction pad. It feels like I'm doing something wrong. I have to use the innerflex pad just to get rotation even on flat, horizontal surfaces. The long throw pads are quite a bit thinner and are more susceptible to stalling, I agree, but it's crazy that every time I move my arm I have to finesse the machine to stop it from stalling even for a few seconds (because it's difficult to keep the pad at the tiny "sweet spot" where it actually rotates). The Boss G15 stalls significantly more then my Griot's Garage 6" DA. It may just be the Boss pads and my unfamiliarity with them.

On a separate note, after using the innerflex pad three times it is already starting to tear apart at the edges and seams. No good.

Marc08EX
07-06-2016, 08:59 PM
We share common symptoms. A couple months ago I started using my Griot's Garage Boss G15 and I notice similar results - it stalls with the slightest pressure, and this includes the washer mod, speed five, the white fast correcting pad and the orange correction pad. It feels like I'm doing something wrong. I have to use the innerflex pad just to get rotation even on flat, horizontal surfaces. The long throw pads are quite a bit thinner and are more susceptible to stalling, I agree, but it's crazy that every time I move my arm I have to finesse the machine to stop it from stalling even for a few seconds (because it's difficult to keep the pad at the tiny "sweet spot" where it actually rotates).

On a separate note, after using the innerflex pad three times it is already starting to tear apart at the edges and seams. No good.

I have tested the Griot's with a 15lb weight and it doesn't stall at all.

If you're interested, I can post the link.

osiapstndp
07-06-2016, 09:05 PM
I have tested the Griot's with a 15lb weight and it doesn't stall at all.

If you're interested, I can post the link.

That's interesting. With which pad did you preform the test? I have quite a few Boss pads, but I'm looking to buy a bundle of the Lake Country thin pads to see how they fare.

Eldorado2k
07-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Give yourself some time to get used to it and you'll eventually work through the kinks and figure out how to dance with it. I went through a similar experience when I 1st got my G21.

Btw, the pads you mentioned trying so far aren't exactly the most ideal pads to use on a long throw polisher. IMO you're better off using either Rupes pads or Lake Country HD Orbital Foam pads [which are shaped exactly like Rupes pads]

rodneypierce
07-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I likely wont be using the polisher much more any time soon, as I just coated the car. But Ill order some of the Rupes pads and compounds, as well as some of the LC HD pads mentioned above. I may actually see if I can trade for some here. I have plenty of the CCS pads to get rid of!