PDA

View Full Version : First Time detailing an RV

trojanone1
07-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are about to purchase our first camper, a 2005 Trail Cruiser 21MBH, and I am getting all the tips and info I can get before I start detailing it. I have done some reading on the RV & Motorhome Detailing page, but have a couple questions. Looking at using Duragloss 501 for an AIO of sorts to clean the fiberglass exterior with 7424XP and 5.5" orange CCS pads. The fiberglass isn't too oxidated, but still needs some TLC. Would you recommend anything else besides the Duragloss 501? The price of the 501 is attractive plus the AIO would make it simpler to use.

My second question is can I use degreasers on fiberglass? Specifically cleaning the caulk seals around the windows, doors, and roof? What would you recommend for that?

Thanks in advance.

M Auto Spa
07-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Degreaser will etch the exterior. However the drip marks left by degreaser can be buffed out with compound and a buffer. Good luck.
Medium aggressive polish light to medium oxidation. Google a product called longevity. It's a sealant that also removes light oxidation. Then u will have 6-9 months protection. Let me know if u have any other questions.

dcjredline
07-21-2016, 09:01 PM
I won a bunch of the McKees TV stuff and have alot left over too that I would gladly pass along for free if your willing to pay for shipping. PM me and I will give you the run down on what I have left and what I liked and didn't in the bunch.

Jomax
07-21-2016, 11:03 PM
I use a degreaser in my pressure washer detergent tank when I do a trailer.

I pressure wash and spray the degreaser and scrub with a trailer brush. This cleans it REALLY well and also takes off some oxidation.

Id then use a AIO made for fiberglass from the marine 31 Line.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/marine-31-polish-and-wax.html

NuthinFancy
07-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Caulking kind of depends on what material it is and how well it's applied. Nice smooth bead- Magic eraser works well. Lumpy, bubbly bead. Apply degreaser to microfiber, let it cook a bit, brush with soft tooth brush, wipe off with microfiber and or MagicEraser. Not a whole lot of fun

GSKR
07-31-2016, 07:46 AM
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are about to purchase our first camper, a 2005 Trail Cruiser 21MBH, and I am getting all the tips and info I can get before I start detailing it. I have done some reading on the RV & Motorhome Detailing page, but have a couple questions. Looking at using Duragloss 501 for an AIO of sorts to clean the fiberglass exterior with 7424XP and 5.5" orange CCS pads. The fiberglass isn't too oxidated, but still needs some TLC. Would you recommend anything else besides the Duragloss 501? The price of the 501 is attractive plus the AIO would make it simpler to use.

My second question is can I use degreasers on fiberglass? Specifically cleaning the caulk seals around the windows, doors, and roof? What would you recommend for that?

Thanks in advance.
I would not use apc on that it will fade it more.Bleach with some brushes work great around caulking and roof.Is the caulking white or clear.when washing roof you will need someone on the ground rinsing your residue off the sides or etching may happen.Get a cheap pump sprayer fill it with outdoor bleach and fire away on the roof.Becareful the equiptment may be brittle good luck.

Hoytman
07-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Just in case some reading this into the future have zero experience using bleach...

The only problem I have with recommending someone to use any kind of bleach, on any detail or other type of job, is not talking about proper precautions when using bleach.

The possibilities of a person mixing it, or not thoroughly rinsing it off before applying another product can reek havoc. Even outside the resulting reaction from mixing something with bleach can have devastating and deadly effects. I've seen this first hand and it is NOT something I'd want to witness again.

Mixing bleach with other chemicals is a disaster waiting to happen. It can majorly scar your lungs or kill you and it can all happen in an instant. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT THE DANGERS OF MIXING BLEACH with other chemicals.

You will be fine using BLEACH as long as you DON'T MIX IT WITH ANYTHING ELSE and RINSE/FLOOD w/WATER THOROUGHLY. When you're done rinsing...well, rinse it some more then take a 10 minute break and walk away from the area just as a precaution. (Remember...working up on top of an R/V turns a quick escape into a turtle race...so, be sure and rinse any bleach thoroughly before attempting to use another cleaning product.)

Jomax
07-31-2016, 06:10 PM
Just in case some reading this into the future have zero experience using bleach...

The only problem I have with recommending someone to use any kind of bleach, on any detail or other type of job, is not talking about proper precautions when using bleach.

The possibilities of a person mixing it, or not thoroughly rinsing it off before applying another product can reek havoc. Even outside the resulting reaction from mixing something with bleach can have devastating and deadly effects. I've seen this first hand and it is NOT something I'd want to witness again.

Mixing bleach with other chemicals is a disaster waiting to happen. It can majorly scar your lungs or kill you and it can all happen in an instant. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT THE DANGERS OF MIXING BLEACH with other chemicals.

You will be fine using BLEACH as long as you DON'T MIX IT WITH ANYTHING ELSE and RINSE/FLOOD w/WATER THOROUGHLY. When you're done rinsing...well, rinse it some more then take a 10 minute break and walk away from the area just as a precaution. (Remember...working up on top of an R/V turns a quick escape into a turtle race...so, be sure and rinse any bleach thoroughly before attempting to use another cleaning product.)

X2

This is why I'd NEVER use bleach. I prefer APC.

trojanone1
08-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone! I almost forgot about my post, but I appreciate the advice. I got the camper cleaned, not 100%, but better than the previous owners did. I wished I took before/after photos because the fiberglass was in definite need of polishing. I ended up using a diluted mixture of Simple Green to wash the exterior and scrub the dirty caulking with magic erasers. That did the trick and I followed up with Meguiars Gold Class and gave it another bath. I misjudged the number of pads for my Porter Cable that I needed for this camper, but used four orange CCS pads with Duragloss 501 on the front and rear of the camper. Only had four orange CCS pads so finished up the camper with white flat pads. In all, the camper could use another polishing and I couldn't get the roof cleaned. Looks like mold spots on the roof.

I fell in love with the Duragloss 501 that I ended up doing my wife's white Impala with it and love the results.