PDA

View Full Version : 2011 c300

chuckk
07-05-2016, 02:26 AM
My first show and shine guys i hope you will enjoy my post. That being said, let me tell you a little bit about me. I started my mobile detailing business a few months ago and ive been pretty busy since. I live in montreal canada and the winter here pretty much gives a hard time to our car's paint. Salty roads, gravel trucks spraying all over the place, snow brushes everything you could imagine being bad for the paint, we have it...

I wanted my car to be almost perfect since it is the first thing customers see when you arrive at their place. I purchased this used mercedes c300 4matic 2011 during last winter. Car had one previous owner, no insurance claim on it and after a good dealer inspection, car came out to be a good deal. Paint was not what i expected for a 2011 but hey, not something a good detailer can't take care of.

Here it is after a snow foam wash followed by a regular two bucket wash. 3D pink car soap

Car was badly contaminated i had to use autoglym intensive tar remover on every panel before claying because clay alone wasn't enough.

Here some better pictures showing how bad the paint was.

That was for the exterior only...the carpets were covered wit massive salt stains which is normal for any winter driven car in quebec....

The next pictures show the salt being under the front carpets...as you can see this is a receipe for electrical components failure since everything is so badly covered with salt. To properly clean everything i had to remove both front seats and both front floor liners. I have to agree with you, doing that kind of job is really not my cup of tea. I did it because it's my personnal car and i don't want any trouble with corrosion down the road...

You get the point...

Shop-vacc, small steamer, salt remover and carpet shampoo with drill brushes and bissel auto care extractor were all used to clean the interior. Only took one photo.

So for the major paint correction i did use the dewalt rotary for the compounding stage. Since fg400, m105 with a wool was not cutting fast enough for me i decided to buy a new aggressive compound to see if it would save me some time down the road.

Just so you know i really like to use my rotary as an initial step for any major kind of correction. For that project
I went with my dewalt + BnS wool pad + menzerna shc300 cutting compound. Let me tell you that it did cut pretty fast but oh boy it was a pita to remove the compound. It was too oily and sticky for my taste but being the fastest way to cut defects i figure i would just wash the car afterwards... Not really a fan of the SHC300 but oh well.

Next i switched to a yellow BnS pad with hd cut still with the rotary to get rid of the holograms created with the first step. Yes hd cut is my go to compound when doing a test spot. Just make sure to use plenty of foam pads as you will gum up the pads and get some buffer hop/pad kicking. Holograms are way less noticeable but still there. (As expected)

Test spot revealed that using a green BnS with HD polish with the PC got me the results i was looking for.Here are some pictures after polishing. Photos are without any lsp. I did use chemical guys jetseal for my lsp but i didnt get the chance to take pictures afterwards and it rained since then....

Recap of what i did on the exterior.
-foam wash rinse with 3d pink car soap
-two bucket wash with 3d pink car soap
-AutoGlym intensive tar remover
-Medium grade clay by hand
-Rotary/wool/menz shc300
-Rotary/yellow BnS foam pad/HD cut
-PC/green BnS foam pad/HD polish
-Griots 3" JetSeal application (no photos)

asap2stacks
07-05-2016, 03:47 AM
None of the photos are working.

001jigsaw
07-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Indeed, the attachments aren't working. You're probably better off uploading them to an account on photobucket. On there, all you do is copy the "Direct Link" to the photo you uploaded, then you insert it into your post as follows:

www.the-link-you-copied-from-photobucket

Just place the direct link you copied from beside your uploaded photo in between That way it will come right up and people won't have to click it.

As for the new Menzerna you said was too oily, what were the temperature and humidity conditions when you applied it? Just curious as I hadn't heard of that compound before.

chuckk
07-05-2016, 03:57 PM
I still new to this forum thing i will fix the issue once i get home thank ls for pointing it out!

As for the menz SHC300 i did find it oily and hard to remove it 100%. Yes it was humid that day i remember sweating a lot. I usually have no problems with fg400. But i did see it was more aggressive than fg400. Fg400 does finishes a lot better thats for sure.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-06-2016, 02:17 AM
As for the menz SHC300 i did find it oily and hard to remove it 100%. Yes it was humid that day i remember sweating a lot. I usually have no problems with fg400. But i did see it was more aggressive than fg400. Fg400 does finishes a lot better thats for sure.

What speed are you using with SHC300?

The temp and humidity also plays a role with its performance combined with the speed you use it.