PDA

View Full Version : DIY 1 and 2 inch foam pads

Pages : [1] 2

Red Lehr
07-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Looking at the price of Flex 1 and 2 inch foam pads,I was wondering if anyone out there has ever cut down one of their pads,(ie. LC CCS pad) and made their own small pads to do intricate work ? With a 1 inch pad being almost as expensive as a 6 inch pad,I thought it would be worth a try.
I cut a circle as best I could out of a LC CCS orange pad,I trimmed off some of the the face of the pad so it wasn't too thick. The pad is very crude looking,and I'm sure there is a better way to cut and shape the pad. I used the P E8 Flex 1" backing pad and Menz. 400,polishing speed set at 2. I scuffed up my old hood with 3000 grit paper and tried it out. You can see the dull scuffed side and the polished side was swirl free. No sun today so the pics don't do justice. I'm sure in a pinch it might work.....

mtnbiker
07-04-2016, 07:03 PM
I haven't but that's a great idea.
Thanks

custmsprty
07-04-2016, 07:07 PM
The problem is at the rpm's you will be running at you better be able able to get them perfectly round and balanced. Good luck with that, let us know how it turns out.

Red Lehr
07-04-2016, 07:32 PM
The problem is at the rpm's you will be running at you better be able able to get them perfectly round and balanced. Good luck with that, let us know how it turns out.50094
Here is another pic of the job done. The scuffed side was done with 3000 grit paper. I made 6 section passes with the Flex PE8 on speed 2 setting. For a crudely circle it did a swirl free job. Now to find a way to cut perfect circles,THEN, cut the face of the pad down evenly.......I love a challenge...50100
Like I said, it was a crude cutting job, but I'll keep you posted when we come up with what we think will work for cutting pads in a perfect circle.

blkSRT
07-04-2016, 09:21 PM
I have an idea as to how you could cut the pad. Get a cookie cutter in the size that you want and just a regular propane torch. Heat the cookie cutter and it "should" make a clean cut.

Whitewater25
07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Better yet, get a piece of steel pipe in the diameter you want,file down the inner or outer edge to make it somewhat sharp,place it over the larger foam pad and hit it with a hammer. Viola,home made pad punch. Just put wood under the foam before punching.

Steelman
07-04-2016, 10:27 PM
I have done this a year ago. I placed 7" cutting foam Pad on a 3.5" backing plate and used a jigsaw blade to cut the pad perfectly round....(by hand). This works well with my drill for headlights.

FreshRides
07-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I bet a hole saw would work amazing for this.

coles_paint_correction
07-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Nice, there is a better way to cut prob. I've been meaning to get a da adapter/extension rotary for my da, alot of ppl say not to but you only need so much in certain areas.

2black1s
07-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Personally, anything intricate enough to require a 1 or 2 inch pad I'll just do by hand. But then again, I'm not doing this as my everyday job.

Red Lehr
07-05-2016, 03:47 AM
Better yet, get a piece of steel pipe in the diameter you want,file down the inner or outer edge to make it somewhat sharp,place it over the larger foam pad and hit it with a hammer. Viola,home made pad punch. Just put wood under the foam before punching.

That is exactly what I came up with. I have some thinner conduit that I will try this out on. My guess would be ,what ever you cut the pad with has to cut relatively smooth so you don't "rip" the pad. Getting a taper to the pad might be a little tougher though....More to come.

Red Lehr
07-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Well, I found a piece of 1 3/4", thin wall pipe and sharpened the outside edge,then I took a small belt grinder and ground off a little on the inside. Now I have a sharp ,round circle to cut with, and BTW, it helps if the edge on the pipe is just a little rough. It seems to cut better with a minute amount of serration on the cutting edge.50129

Standing the pipe perpendicular on top of the pad,I started turning the pipe in circles until the pipe cut through the entire pad.50132

Now having a meatpacking plant has it's advantages when it comes to sharpening tools,and I trimmed the new small pad down to the thickness I wanted by slicing the pad on an old meat slicer until the desired thickness was reached.50130

I'm sure you could do this with any sized conduit or thin pipe.50131

custmsprty
07-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Cool :buffing:

DetailTrail
07-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Have you done this yet ??? What about the angle Flex has for compression, how could you get it ??

Whitewater25
07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
I have not tried this on the foam pads yet. I use a similar method to cut leather drag washers for fishing reels & figured it would work on the foam pads as well. I do not think you will get a taper to them when cutting,it will be a straight cut. I will try it out next time I need small,pads for my PE-8.