PDA

View Full Version : Washing MF towels

Pages : [1] 2 3

asap2stacks
07-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Alright so at my shop I have MF towels dedicated to each job itself the green for interior, blue for glass,Orange for multipurpose, Black and yellow for Exterior and of course drying MF towels as well. My question is it safe to wash them all together? Or should I wash them in batches keeping them in there own groups.

Also what is the best way to wash MF towels getting them clean and newer longer with out having to by MF cleaner?

Note I use a laundry mat to clean my MF towels.

LEDetailing
07-04-2016, 03:03 PM
I would try and keep MF towels in seperate loads based on what product was used. Never mix towels that have tire/interior dressing with polishing/paint towels. I have been using Purex free and clear and that works really well. Cheap too. I do pre-rinse towels that have debris or are heavily soiled. I even wash my Meguiar's MF wash mitt often.

kevincwelch
07-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Three loads:

1. Paint
2. Interior
3. Tire/wheel/trim

Sent via my mobile device...

Jomax
07-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Three loads:

1. Paint
2. Interior
3. Tire/wheel/trim

Sent via my mobile device...

And glass completely seperate

AutoApollo
07-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Alright so at my shop I have MF towels dedicated to each job itself the green for interior, blue for glass,Orange for multipurpose, Black and yellow for Exterior and of course drying MF towels as well. My question is it safe to wash them all together? Or should I wash them in batches keeping them in there own groups.

Also what is the best way to wash MF towels getting them clean and newer longer with out having to by MF cleaner?

Note I use a laundry mat to clean my MF towels.

Omg, you're a freaking genius and I'm retarded. I been so tired of washing all my towels by hand because I don't have an extra washer and dryer for the nasty gunk and all this time there's a laundry mat around the corner that I've never thought to try.

java
07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Which washer machine is better top or front loader?

AutoApollo
07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Which washer machine is better top or front loader?

Lmao, it doesn't matter, but you may prefer top load as it gets a lot of the water out. I wouldn't recommend drying them in the dryer as it may wreck the fibers. Just hang them to dry

gh0st
07-05-2016, 06:34 PM
You can use the dryer, but best keep the heat setting on the dryer at low to prevent any damage to the towels.
What ever you do, DO NOT use fabric softener on your microfiber!

I've been washing all mine together, granted, I don't use good microfiber towels on the wheels, just disposables for that.

I haven't had any issues, but curious what kind of trouble one would run into by not going separate loads for paint, interior, glass, and sealant. Just debris cross contamination, or some type of chemical/ingredient reaction?

Jomax
07-05-2016, 06:53 PM
You can use the dryer, but best keep the heat setting on the dryer at low to prevent any damage to the towels.
What ever you do, DO NOT use fabric softener on your microfiber!

I've been washing all mine together, granted, I don't use good microfiber towels on the wheels, just disposables for that.

I haven't had any issues, but curious what kind of trouble one would run into by not going separate loads for paint, interior, glass, and sealant. Just debris cross contamination, or some type of chemical/ingredient reaction?

You get wax on your glass towels and then on your glass causing streaks

cleanmycorolla
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM

you can dry your towels with heat

Jomax
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE=AutoApollo;1400986]Omg, you're a freaking genius and I'm retarded. I been so tired of washing all my towels by hand because I don't have an extra washer and dryer for the nasty gunk and all this time there's a laundry mat around the corner that I've never thought to try.[/QUOTE]
I wash mine at night.

Jomax
07-05-2016, 07:01 PM
you can dry your towels with heat

Not high heat though

chet31
07-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Good comments and it makes sense to separate out certain towels. I don't. I use PLE (principal of least effort). I throw everything in the wash together and wash with a Tide pod, warm water, normal spin dry. When done, I don't remove the load, I throw another Tide pod in with the towels still damp, wash them again, don't change the settings. Then I throw them in the dryer, normal settings. The second washing, it seems to me, wipes out any organic residues (wax, sealant, dressings) that might remain after the first washing. My towels seem fine, works for me, but I'm a weekender, not a pro.

scuff
07-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Adding some household ammonia (https://en.wikipedia.org/####/Ammonia#Cleaner) or another alkali to the washing machine or wash bucket can help remove waxes & sealants from MF & buffing pads by saponification (http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryglossary/ss/Saponification-Definition.htm). This is definitely not a time to play More is More Better!, so don't add two cups of lye to the load. IIRC, I added a cup of ammonia to two gallons of warm water to clean my pads last time, with nothing else. Worked great.

Eldorado2k
07-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Any tips on removing lint from a batch of towels that were once ok? Or might they be too far gone? [Meguiars Supreme Shines]