PDA

View Full Version : High Spots!

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer77
07-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Well I got Wolfgang Uber Coating on yesterday. Everthing went pretty good after a panel or two, my mind was at ease. This was my first time coating. So just now I pulled the car out of the garage to snap a couple pictures, because I want to post the on the forum. On my first walk around damn high spots! Mainly the hood and one on the quarter panel.

On another thread I have going someone said I could just polish the spots with a white pad and reapply the coating. I will do this with my GG 3inch on the quarter.

What about the hood? The spots are a little on the larger side, I thought my lighting was good I now guess not. Should I redo the spots or the whole hood?

FrankS
07-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Try just redoing the spots and see how it turns out.

Mike lambert
07-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I'd say re do the entire panel, I think you will see a difference if you just polish the high spots.

Rsurfer
07-04-2016, 02:43 PM
I'd say re do the entire panel, I think you will see a difference if you just polish the high spots.I agree..depending on the type of polish you are going to use (oil base) you may need to IPA after polishing and before coating.

Hammer77
07-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Thanks Frank and Mike for your replies. After posting this I couldn't just sit here and do nothing, just got done doing the hood over again. Found another above the windshield fight in the center, and was able to spot polish and reapply the coating. We will see how it turns out. I still have the quarter panel to do.

On a side note- I keep thinking how did I miss this? So when I went out I plugged in my light and moved it in many different angles, couldn't see nothing. I even picked it up and held it over the hood with the lights 6-8 inches above the paint, still couldn't see anything. So since it is a cloudy day here, know direct sun I pulled it out and did it in the driveway. I thought my light was good, now I look at it as a $100 Lowes special, it will still be good for general light, just not detailing.

WillSports3
07-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Edited: OP already redid his hood

I find the same issues with doing coatings, the only way around it is to just completely light up the interior room with the right combination of led lights and the like.

kevincwelch
07-04-2016, 03:22 PM
When I did my first coating (Gtechniq C1), there were high spots on the hood, roof and ear the spoiler.

What I've learned over the past few years is the following:

1. Small sections at a time.
2. When in doubt, apply lightly. You can always apply another layer.
3. Multiple lights and multiple view points.
4. Overlap your buffing. Apply, buff evenly with one towel and then remove any excess residue with another towel. Light pressure.

As a note, I used a new coating for the first time last week and got a high spot. It's always a learning process. I will probably redo the hood with Carpro essence and reapply.

Practice makes perfect.

Sent via my mobile device...

Hammer77
07-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks Rsurfer, and Will.

Yea for the small spot repair I hit it with the polish, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, and follow up Perfekt Paint Prep. Then coated the area, maybe 6X6. Just went out and checked the spot, looking good so far. I don't think I used too much in the initial coating, used a tad over 5 cc's. And in the info on the sales page it says 15 cc is enough to do 3 mid size cars. So I think I was doing it right.

But when I redid the hood today I noticed it was flashing very quick, obviously couldn't tell under my lighting conditions yesterday. So maybe I should have done my applicator, and MF buffs sooner. Its a learning experience!

Rsurfer
07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks Rsurfer, and Will.

Yea for the small spot repair I hit it with the polish, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, and follow up Perfekt Paint Prep. Then coated the area, maybe 6X6. Just went out and checked the spot, looking good so far. I don't think I used too much in the initial coating, used a tad over 5 cc's. And in the info on the sales page it says 15 cc is enough to do 3 mid size cars. So I think I was doing it right.

But when I redid the hood today I noticed it was flashing very quick, obviously couldn't tell under my lighting conditions yesterday. So maybe I should have done my applicator, and MF buffs sooner. Its a learning experience!

Coating are very climate sensitive. Heat and humidity will determine how fast the coating will flash.

Hammer77
07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the intel Kevin!

Hammer77
07-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks Rsurfer.

Just for future reference what would the ideal temp and humidity ranges be. And is there ranges to avoid?

Mike lambert
07-04-2016, 04:28 PM
When you look at the section you have just wiped off, I don't look directly at the light reflection. Rather look around it and you will see smearing. Also when wiping off I use at least 3 towels and really concentrate on feeling any unusual drag which is the high spot

Rsurfer
07-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks Rsurfer.

Just for future reference what would the ideal temp and humidity ranges be. And is there ranges to avoid?

I would not apply over 90 degrees or if it's raining.

WillSports3
07-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Mike is quite correct. For each panel you do, you do need about three towels or so. Keep a bucket of 4 to 1 apc mixture so you can toss in your towels after use.

I know that when I applied a coating in about 80 degrees, it was flashing relatively quickly. I literally worked the product on, worked it in and then wiped right then and there. But that being said, I was using cquartz uk which flashes quickly in warm weather. The drag part is the best way to tell if there's still high spots. That's why three towels is the best combination for this, and make sure to swap sides often.

Setec Astronomy
07-04-2016, 09:32 PM
You shouldn't have to remove the whole layer of coating you just applied and reapply, you should just be able to use a mild polish by hand to remove just the high spots, I mean that's what I would have tried.

Back in the OC 2.0 days Optimum recommended Poli-Seal or GPS by hand to remove high spots--you're just trying to knock the high spots down, not remove all of the coating.