PDA

View Full Version : Quick detailer after cleaning bugs?

Darth Muffin
07-04-2016, 01:32 AM
Hello all.

I've read many threads on here about cleaning bugs off of a car but I don't recall seeing anything about "after care" once they have been removed.

I have a Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html) which has worked well for me with some ONR rinseless wash.

I don't get bugs on my vehicle all that often except when I go on longer trips like I did today. I tend to use the bug sponge to just clean the affected area without washing the whole vehicle all over again.

I washed the vehicle and applied Hydro2 along with Aquawax about a week ago.

I'm wondering if the bug sponge will "scrape away" this protective coating if used too often.

I honestly don't have time to wash my vehicle too often. It's probably sacrilege around these parts but I only care if my vehicle looks presentable. It doesn't have to be perfect.

My thoughts are to continue cleaning the front of the car with the bug sponge + ONR and then reapply the Aquawax just to the areas I scrubbed/cleaned.

Any thoughts on this from you experts on here? Alternative approaches are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Don M
07-04-2016, 02:54 AM
With bugs, I usually spray them with the strongest stream of water I can as soon as I can and then I actually use a quik detailer or something like Meguiar's D115 to clean the bugs off with a microfiber cloth. The QD & D115 seem to soak into the bugs better than water and soften them up easier than regular soap and water and make them easier to remove without a lot of scrubbing. It also reduces the risk of damaging the paint.

Paul A.
07-04-2016, 08:08 AM
You are smart to get them (bugs) off the paint promptly though. In my mind i think i would risk losing a little LSP if that in fact happens than running the risk of letting those little buggers etch their way into it. I never mind adding a little more protection compared to seeing the outline of their remnant corpses later.

Whitewater25
07-04-2016, 08:36 AM
I will put a fresh coat of the product I'm currently using on the vehicle on the front bumper,grill,hood & roof just before a road trip. Bugs just seem to rinse off for the most part. Little more work ahead of time but pays off after.

dcjredline
07-04-2016, 09:28 AM
What I would do is use a spray wax in that situation.

FUNX650
07-04-2016, 09:28 AM
IMO:
It does no harm to use a Detail Spray
after each bug-removal session that's
performed during the interim period
between the initial application, and the
subsequent reapplication of the Hydro2
(~2-3 mons)...[or, perhaps, some other
LSP of choice, this time around.]

Bob

MattPersman
07-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Why not apply the hydro2 like a QD to the front after the bug cleaning. I find it releases dirt better than aqua wax anyways.

Desertnate
07-05-2016, 08:39 AM

This is my approach too. It is probably overkill as I don't think my bug remover is taking off that much of the LSP, but it gives me a little peace of mind.

LC DETAIL
07-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Hidro2 disappear if you use a bug remover

https://m.facebook.com/Mauri-Motor-689588047801936/

Darth Muffin
07-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I guess I will do as suggested which was also my original plan and reapply the LSP after cleaning off the bugs. I did that the other day and it really didn't take a very long time since it was just a touch up but I have to say that with me doing this once every 1-3 weeks, it's not such a big deal but I don't understand how someone would be able to tolerate having to do it more often e.g. people I know who work in another town and drive an hour each way to get there. They will have quite the bug cemetery after each trip. Every single day.

shagnat
07-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Yep.

Jeremy1976
07-29-2016, 12:08 PM
After bug removal or any maintenance wash I hit my mirrors, hood, and front bumper with wax. Literally takes a couple minutes. The bugs breakdown the wax and applying a fresh coat keeps it fresh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Italiano
07-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Stoner Speed Bead Quick Detailer is the best that ive seen at removing bugs gently. I spray them on my grill, wait a minute and wipe off. Stoner Speed Bead Quick Detailer (http://www.autogeek.net/stoner-quick-detailer.html)

PaulMys
07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
I always keep a bottle of QD and few MF towels in my truck.

After I get to where I'm going, or return home, I will spray and wipe off the bug splatter. As stated above, it really only takes about a minute.

I'm not saying to do this if you drive down to the corner store and back, just if you have a commute to work, then back home (twice for a day). Two minutes a day to protect your vehicle's paint from damage is not a big deal IMO.