PDA

View Full Version : Who here details small planes?

Busy mind
07-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I have several small airports near me which I drive past everyday. I'd like to add detailing a plane to my bucket list.
I would like to get info straight from the source. The planes near me are small Cessna type.

Id like to know about a maintenance program, what to not touch, and so on. I know there will be on the job learning, but if I can avoid any major issues that would be optimal. I want to be as prepared as possible. It seems like many are very guarded about sharing info when it comes to aviation detailing, so a PM will work too.
Thanks

Busy mind
07-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Bump

Legacykid
07-05-2016, 10:57 PM
If you have the means to and are serious about detailing planes, contact Renny Doyle about training. I was out on the AFO detailing team and let me tell you. Planes are a whole nother ball game. Insurance, and knowing all aspects of a plane. Like the sensors and etc, also the use of only certain products because the slightest thing off can cause a failure and its on you. Being on an airfield nothing at all can get away from you (like even a rapper or tin foil)

There is a lot to know and a lot is on the line. Which is why I guess those detailers can charge so much!

Busy mind
07-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply Legacykid. By no means am I trying to just watch a few videos and learn on my own. It's something I'd like to work toward if it sounds like a good fit. I've already talked to Renny about it but it sounds like personal hands on training has to happen first. The planes near me are very basic and simple. There's quite a few flight schools too.

I get tired of the same routine so I figured since there's an opportunity so close to me, then why not do something about it.

GSKR
07-07-2016, 04:12 PM
I have one on Monday,this will be my 8th plane this year so far.I find that the little cessnas that are anchored to the ground and outside,owners don't care to detail them.Hanger parked jets and planes are the people who more than likely will pay to keep there planes looking good.If have any questions I will gladly help you.

asap2stacks
07-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply Legacykid. By no means am I trying to just watch a few videos and learn on my own. It's something I'd like to work toward if it sounds like a good fit. I've already talked to Renny about it but it sounds like personal hands on training has to happen first. The planes near me are very basic and simple. There's quite a few flight schools too.

I get tired of the same routine so I figured since there's an opportunity so close to me, then why not do something about it.

Hope you have a LLC and Insurance and a very very good background in detailing. No just anyone is going to let just anyone detail there plane, they pay so much to avoid theses people they are just in it for some quick money.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
07-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Look up Lane Bates who owns Bates Detailing. He is in Tennessee. He specializes in planes, boats, and RV`s. He is an absolute great and knowledgeable guy. He constantly offers to train guys for a week. Basically, you go and work for him as labor for a week and he trains you on them.

AuroraDetailing
07-07-2016, 08:58 PM
I would say you should develop a good understanding of aircraft components and some systems that have external sensors. The most important precaution is with the static ports. It is of life and death importance to not affect those sensors in any way. They are usually on the sides near the cockpit and usually say "do not paint" on them. You don't want anything going into them at all, especially anything that will not evaporate away, like wax, polish or compound. If you tape over them, I recommend not using masking tape or any other tape that can easily tear and leave pieces behind. I would say electrical tape would be best. But also make sure you don't not leave the tape on there. The pitot tubes would be the next precaution but they normally stick out enough that you wouldn't be doing anything with them, but I wouldn't recommend putting any type of coating on the metal portions because it may effect the heating ability when pitot heat is turned on. For the most part, the rest isn't any different from doing a car but the paint is usually a lot harder