PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 Vs WGDGPS3.0 Or Both!

Pages : [1] 2

uhohitsstevo
07-03-2016, 07:25 PM
So I have a black Volkswagen and just laid down a 50/50 on the hood with Collinite on one side and WGDGPS on the other side. I am gonna let them sit over night and then I was thinking about splitting the WGDGPS in half and putting Collinite over it in the morning. Has anyone had success with using either of these or using both together? I also read some places that having just one is sometimes better and what about coats does anyone recommend using more than one coat of either?

VISITOR
07-03-2016, 07:30 PM
i would just do one uniform coat of either, rather than both...

uhohitsstevo
07-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Any reason for this? I have read that certain people experience a dulling affect when topping things but would you say just one coat or maybe even two coats?

VISITOR
07-03-2016, 07:42 PM
not sure if they are compatible with each other and if you do top one over the other, it might effect one which will be a waste of product and time. one coat of one product is all you need...

FUNX650
07-04-2016, 07:57 AM
So I have a black Volkswagen and just laid
down a 50/50 on the hood with Collinite on
one side and WGDGPS on the other side.

I am gonna let them sit over night

and then I was thinking about splitting the
WGDGPS in half and putting Collinite over it
in the morning.
•There is definitely going to be dust, and/or
some other type of contaminates, settling on
the LSPs while they cure over night.

Fast forward to "in the morning"...

•While attempting to "top/layer"
the cured (existing) LSPs:
-you'll be rubbing those contaminates into
(and, no doubt, through) the previously
applied LSPs; and down into the freshly
corrected paint.

-Not liking this idea.

Bob

MattPersman
07-04-2016, 10:10 AM
You typically now a days do two coats for uniformity of product, in other words to make sure you covered all your area. I would just use the Wolfgang and call it a day on the entire car.

MarkD51
07-04-2016, 10:53 AM
The last LSP I put on my Kia Spectra about a month ago, was Collinite #845. And then just yesterday applied a coat of WGDGPS 3.0. I've done this more than once, and would like to comment some on some of the differences I notice:

Collinite #845 is a great product, very easy to use, a bottle goes quite far, and the protection it gives is very good. And another great attribute, is it's reasonably priced.

But with WGDGPS 3.0, and what I quite quickly recognize, is that I see much greater clarity of paint, especially on dark colors, which my Kia's Magenta Pearl-Metallic paint is fairly dark.

I might then conclude that WGDGPS 3.0 might have more in the way of paint cleansers added, that will better remove any films and caca from the paint as you apply it. Not much mind you, but enough that there is a difference in look, and I have to give the Wolfgang product the win in this comparison and quality.

That most likely on your black paint, things just might look a whole lot "blacker" with WGDGPS 3.0.

While Collinite #845 might have more in the way of a petroleum carrier, and might be effective at removing grease or oils, I don't really think its abilities go much further than this for "cleansing" paint. Now if the vehicle's paint has just been previously cleaned by either polishing or a paint prep scrubber-cleaner, then one might achieve better results with Collinite #845 in this regard.

And to me, the Collinite has a slightly "warmer" look than WGDGPS 3.0, which the latter is no doubt a pure synthetic paint sealant.

I note much sharper, dazzling reflections with Wolfgang Sealant, the paint appears much more vibrant, and the gloss is more "glassy and dripping wet" looking versus Collinite.

I see no advantage using either as a follow-up topper immediately, just extra work, and probably a waste of either product. That to let each product live on its own for a bit, and then like I have recently done, no harm or foul to switch back and forth between the two.

Crispy
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Collenite 845 finishes so nice after polishing with Menzerna 3800 on white DA pad that I'm no longer tempted to try other combinations. Other productss may work better but, I have found my sweet spot.

PaulMys
08-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Awesome write-up by Mark. But I agree with Crispy on the 845.

Also, price comes into play with me. Hard to justify $35-45 for Wolfgang when I can get 845 for about $17.

The 845 satisfies my needs completely, and over KAIO, has lasted a year on my truck here in NY. No exaggeration.

Just my opinion, and my experience so far.

rookiez
08-08-2016, 08:28 PM
WGDGPS is still the greatest sealant in my collection. I like the look of WGDGPS more than 845 though. A bottle of WGDGPS can lasts for a long long long time anyway. The $30 extra is only paid once every few years. Why not go with the best one that I like!

PaulMys
08-08-2016, 09:45 PM
WGDGPS is still the greatest sealant in my collection. I like the look of WGDGPS more than 845 though. A bottle of WGDGPS can lasts for a long long long time anyway. The $30 extra is only paid once every few years. Why not go with the best one that I like!

Because it cuts into my beer money?? ;)

TTQ B4U
08-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Never used WG but the product is great I'm sure. IMO you likely couldn't go wrong with either. I'd stick with what you feel applied and worked best for you. I like 845 and use it in winter / nasty weather as I know it can take a beating.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/OY6A4906_zpsnyx8xt4f.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Audi/OY6A4906_zpsnyx8xt4f.jpg.html)

AZpolisher15
08-08-2016, 11:39 PM
You've got two great LSP's there. Either one will perform remarkably. You may know this already- but you've got one paint sealer and one carnauba based wax. Some call 845 a combination wax/sealer, but that topic is best saved for another thread.

The "rules" are generally as follows-- it's ok to top a sealer with a wax, but not ok to top a wax with a sealer. Sealers (~WGDGPS~) form a physical bond with the paint itself, whereas waxes (~Collinite~) "sit on top" of the paint. So, sealers need a clean slate. Waxes do not.

Some might "top" the WG with the 845. Some might suggest two coats of just one product (as mentioned, second coat is to simply ensure even application). It's pretty much a Personal choice.

One thing that is worthy of attention from this point forward-- the Wolfgang will not bond to your paint on the area on which you've just applied Collinite. So, consider that in your overall approach moving forward.

Blackdevil77
09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Very interesting. So the "look" of the WGDGPS is "better" while the Collinite 845 may offer more protection, even thought the Wolfgang stuff is a sealant and Collinite is more of a wax?

From the looks of this video I saw, the WGDGPS isn't nearly as hydrophobic as some other sealants like the Collinite 845 or Rejex, as it was compared to in the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnRK0S8pqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDcjSOLFEW0

srpurdy
09-06-2016, 07:07 PM
I love collinite great wax for the price. I was thinking of getting some WG 3.0 myself, but honestly can't beat the price of collinite and it does better than most waxes that are more expensive.