PDA

View Full Version : QD products - Quick Comparison Review

makdaddy626
10-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, so my order from AG should be here tomorrow but right now I'm almost out of DP Final Gloss, so... when I decided to wash my wifes jeep last night I noticed I still had a bottle of Meqs Spray & Wipe Quick Detailer sitting around that I bought before I found AG and thought, hmmm I wonder how it compares with Final Gloss. Before getting started I want to point out some parameters that might affect the results:

Vehicle: 1999 Jeep Cherokee - White - polished about a month ago.
LSP: WG DGPS topped with MaxWax
Application Method: After washing, partially dryed vehicle with leaf blower, followed by spritzing with product and finish drying with Guzzler towel.

THE CONTESTANTS:
Meg's Spray & Wipe Quick Detailer vs. DP Final Gloss

Packaging:
Megs - 16 oz spray bottle, functional, no real complaints, nothing special either. The nozzle isn't adjustable and the bottle is definately meant to be tossed when empty (Rating - 3 out of 5)
DP - 32 oz sprayer - adjustbable nozzle, built to last and can be refilled after purchasing more product in volume) (Rating - 5 out of 5)

Scent:
Both products in my opinon had a pleasant aroma and I'll leave it to personal tastes to decide if one is better than the other.

Application:
Megs - Product went on very easily, no streaking or smearing (Rating 5 out of 5)
DP - Product sometimes requires additonal buffing to even out (probably due to the wax content), not a big deal as it always finishes great, just takes a little more effore (very little) (Rating 4 out of 5)

Appearance:
Megs - The finished look after application was, well, boring... the vehicle looked nice and clean and there were no water spots. It did help with the drying but did nothing noticable to add depth or shine (Rating 2 out of 5)
DP - Always provides that "just waxed look" the shine is really amped up afterwards and the "wetness" factor is great considering the vehicle is white (Rating 5 out of 5)

Durability: N/A - as my vehicles are washed once or twice a week and I really on the durability of the LSP rather than the QD, I have no feedback for this.

CONCLUSION
Realizing that QD products can be used in different ways and one may excell in one area over another and then perform less well in another use, I've tried to explain how these products were used and am limiting my judgements to this use. Also, I think it might be important to consider that the LSP involved was DPs own MaxWax, I don't know that it's a given that products within a suppliers line will always work better in conjuction with other products from that line, but as I'm sure they've been tested together during formulation. So, with all the disclaimers out of the way, I have to give the nod to DP Final Gloss. The only category where the Megs product had a lead at all was in ease of use, and while ease of use is definately important, we're not talking about the difference in Klause SG compared to WG here... we're talking about very little extra buffing, and besides, who cares if a product applys itself if afterwards you can't tell it's been applied?

I've still got some WG QD lying around too and my add it into the mix after the next wash if anyone finds the information beneficial.

Jimmie
10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice Makdaddy. Thanks for the review. Enjoyed reading it.

Tonya
10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
:goodpost: Thanks for the review!

Surfer
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Are you talking about the Meg's qd'er (red bottle Mist and Wipe), I have bottles and bottles of that, love it for claying, qd'er itself is ok noting special as far as looks. But the bottle is the best bottle around, perfect fine mist. I use the empty bottles to poor other products into, definitely don't trow them out.

makdaddy626
10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you talking about the Meg's qd'er (red bottle Mist and Wipe), I have bottles and bottles of that, love it for claying, qd'er itself is ok noting special as far as looks. But the bottle is the best bottle around, perfect fine mist. I use the empty bottles to poor other products into, definitely don't trow them out.

Yes, that's the product, and I'll agree it works great as a clay lube (that's one reason for all the talk about the specific use I was comparing). I'm not fond of the bottle though, it does give a very fine mist but it's pattern is pretty "tight" (shotgun term anyone?) and I prefer the adjustable types.

The whole review is just my opinion so anyone should feel free to disagree! thanks for sharing yours Surfer.

Jimmie
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM

I do the same thing with the Megs bottles. Love that fine mushroom mist cloud.

Rsurfer
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the review. I've tried tons of QD's and like FK425 the best. I QD every morning when it's not rainning and the FK425 seems to get better and better in appearance. Close second is DG Marine.

ScottB
10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
having used both products, I completely agree with your assessments. I find the newer qd'er+ products are really coming on strong and leave enough of an arguement for some to stop waxing/sealing almost all together.

Surfer
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I do the same thing with the Megs bottles. Love that fine mushroom mist cloud.Haha, I have 4 or 5 of those bottles filled with other products then the qd'er, love the mister. The qd'er itself is really slick and awsome for clay lube, leaves a nice clean look but nothing like a qd'+.

dengood1
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the review. I've tried tons of QD's and like FK425 the best. I QD every morning when it's not rainning and the FK425 seems to get better and better in appearance. Close second is DG Marine.

:whs: I did one side of my vehicle yesterday with the DP and one side with the FK. The FK side was a little slicker and was easier to use although the DP was very nice as well.

Rsurfer
10-22-2007, 06:42 PM
:whs: I did one side of my vehicle yesterday with the DP and one side with the FK. The FK side was a little slicker and was easier to use although the DP was very nice as well.If you qd about 3 times a week you will have a noticeable difference with FK. It also attracts less dust.