PDA

View Full Version : Storing M21 sealant in clear container

Pages : [1] 2

bnem
07-02-2016, 08:04 PM
I just bought a large jug of M21 sealant and would like to split it into smaller containers for myself and friend. The containers I found are clear plastic squeeze bottles which I thought would be perfect. However, now that I realize it almost all car care products seem to be in non-transparent containers and I'm wondering if this is for a reason. Does anyone know if storing M21, or other car care products for that matter, would be affected if stored in a transparent container? Would UV or light in general impact the product's performance?

FUNX650
07-02-2016, 09:32 PM
•IMO:
-The goal here, when divvying-up
the M21 into clear containers,
should be: keeping them tightly
closed, and in a darkened location,
when not in use.

-The product will be fine, if you do.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
07-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Boy, I would hope a sealant wouldn't be damaged by UV light. A lot of products come in clear bottles, most Optimum and Poorboy's, etc.

bnem
07-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Boy, I would hope a sealant wouldn't be damaged by UV light. A lot of products come in clear bottles, most Optimum and Poorboy's, etc.
True. I'm not an professional detailer so my knowledge of sealants and waxes is limited. However, from what I've seen all are in non-transparent bottles. Generally speaking all products are packaged in a way suitable to maintain 'freshness'. For example, beer and red wine are in tinted bottles. I just wanted to see if anyone knew why sealants and waxes are in non-transparent bottles for reasons other than appearance, branding etc.

As Bob pointed out the main concern is to make sure the bottle is sealed tight, which I will do. I'll probably just cover some of the bottle with tape and store it in a dark place just to be safe.

AZpolisher15
07-02-2016, 10:53 PM
I usually put a piece of a plastic bag over the top of my bottles that won't be used for awhile, and then screw the lids back on.

VISITOR
07-03-2016, 12:05 AM
i store my bottles in a snap lid (18+ gallon) containers so light isn't an issue. i use these types of secondary bottles...

Self cleaning dispense squeeze bottles (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=dispense+bottles&x=0&y=0)

k20trick
07-03-2016, 12:54 AM
I store m21 in autogeek squeeze bottles and they are looking great so far... The autogeek bottles are also very good, I honestly prefer filling m21 in its original bottle into the autogeek bottle. Its so much more easier to use in the ag bottle, convenient push or pull to close or open and squeezing the product into the pad shoots a lot more efficient pattern.

Honestly though, I've had Meguiars compound and polish for over 5 years and it still worked as great as it did on day 1. Keep it in cabinets with no light it should not matter if it in transparent bottle as long as it's sealed.

The Guz
07-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Are you planning to leave it in the sun? If not stuff it in the cabinet and call it a day.

AuroraDetailing
07-03-2016, 02:56 AM
Jetseal comes in a clear bottle. I could be wrong, but I think clear plastic is a different material than most colored opaque plastic and could just be a material choice for manufacturing reasons. Just from my experience, clear plastic bottles seem to be stiffer than any colored bottles. I've noticed clear plastic bottles crack and colored plastic dents when dropped.

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2016, 06:07 AM
True. I'm not an professional detailer so my knowledge of sealants and waxes is limited. However, from what I've seen all are in non-transparent bottles. Generally speaking all products are packaged in a way suitable to maintain 'freshness'. For example, beer and red wine are in tinted bottles. I just wanted to see if anyone knew why sealants and waxes are in non-transparent bottles for reasons other than appearance, branding etc.

I'm not sure food is the best comparison here. But look, one of the main objectives of packaging in general, and of "wax" packaging in particular, is to prevent diffusion of volatile components through the packaging. This may simply be a cost issue, where it's easier to make an opaque plastic do that, than a clear one.

There are also some other marketing factors, I've heard a lot of consumer products that are thick and come in squeeze bottles like hand cream or hair conditioner use opaque packaging so the customer can't see how much is left in the bottle when they can't get any more out (in other words what they are paying for that they have to throw away).

scuff
07-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Unless a product is UV reactive, don't worry about a little light reaching it. In the context of an automotive product, I'd be surprised if it was UV reactive in the first place, and even more surprised if the manufacturer didn't make note of the UV reactivity in the ad copy or the product label.

Lots of good advice above. FWIW, I've had some Menzerna products stored in their original containers for years. They were shipped with a strip of white tape (looks like electrical tape) around the caps to keep them from loosening in shipping, and to help seal the bottles. If you plan to store the product for a long time, I'd do that, as well as Harpolith's plastic bag trick. I'm adding a three pack of those AG bottles to my cart that VISITOR mentioned, too.

Sonic Mustang
07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
I have a half full 64 oz. factory bottle of M21 Ver 1.0 (I think that makes it nine or ten years old.) that's perfectly fine and I have some that's been in a 16 oz. translucent plastic bottle with a flip top applicator for over a year. the product's fine, but the bottle deformed after a month or two. It kind of shrank in on itself. You can duplicate this effect by uncapping the bottle and squeezing then recapping it tightly. This only happens with the aftermarket squeeze bottles.

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I have a half full 64 oz. factory bottle of M21 Ver 1.0 (I think that makes it nine or ten years old.) that's perfectly fine and I have some that's been in a 16 oz. translucent plastic bottle with a flip top applicator for over a year. the product's fine, but the bottle deformed after a month or two. It kind of shrank in on itself. You can duplicate this effect by uncapping the bottle and squeezing then recapping it tightly. This only happens with the aftermarket squeeze bottles.

Wow, good for you. I had a sample size of V.1 in one of those Meg's ketchup bottles, and over time the water just separated out of it, no matter how much I shook it. Perhaps mechanical stirring would have worked, but over time it really devolved into a paste that you couldn't get out of the bottle. Which is kind of the opposite of a lot of other Meg's products that tend to thin out. The "paste" M21 still worked well, but was kind of a nuisance to use.

Sonic Mustang
07-03-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm curious about what causes the translucent squeeze bottles to deform.

scuff
07-03-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm curious about what causes the translucent squeeze bottles to deform.

It might be due to temperature change. The valves may allow air to escape easier than enter, leading to blowing off pressure when hot, but sucking down when cooler.