PDA

View Full Version : Can "dusting" cause scratches?

AutoApollo
07-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi guys, when I use megs ultimate compound, 90% of the time it starts dusting everywhere creating a mess. If I don't stop to wipe all the dust off where I'm working and just continue to finish my section will the dry dust cause scratches?

emmjay
07-02-2016, 11:46 AM
I had that issue and I just made my work area smaller. I live in a desert climate (Duh...) so it did dry up fast for me too.

Once done with the panel I would spritz a little ONR at qd to wipe off.

Instances where it dried mid polish cycle - I would add a drop more and continue. Make sure to have the last 2 passes at no pressure at all and a little faster machine movement. Ive found that makes wipe of faster and easier and the fast machine movement does not let the polish dry.

just my experience with UC :)

AutoApollo
07-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I had that issue and I just made my work area smaller. I live in a desert climate (Duh...) so it did dry up fast for me too.

Once done with the panel I would spritz a little ONR at qd to wipe off.

Instances where it dried mid polish cycle - I would add a drop more and continue. Make sure to have the last 2 passes at no pressure at all and a little faster machine movement. Ive found that makes wipe of faster and easier and the fast machine movement does not let the polish dry.

just my experience with UC :)

Yea, totally understand. It's just all my cars have extremely hard paint (vw's) and since I don't have any mf cutting pads I'm forced to keep my arm speed like 1cm/2sec lol. Using a toothbrush helps and a bit of water spritz each time I do a new pass. But more importantly, passing over the dust won't add scratches right?

emmjay
07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Yea, totally understand. It's just all my cars have extremely hard paint (vw's) and since I don't have any mf cutting pads I'm forced to keep my arm speed like 1cm/2sec lol. Using a toothbrush helps and a bit of water spritz each time I do a new pass. But more importantly, passing over the dust won't add scratches right?

When I did my Gti Mk7 I had no issues with the dust scratches - when I did have dust, I just made sure to work a smaller area. Keep a blower near by so you can blow off any compound residue. Either way if you're using UC - you will probably follow it with a light/fine polish which should take care of it.

Another note - a lot of compounds dust so I do not think it should be a problem. UC is one compound that dusts the least if im not mistaken :/

FUNX650
07-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Re: Can "dusting" cause scratches?

"You bet your (sweet) bippy!"
~Rowan and Martin

Bob

Don M
07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
If in doubt, use a QD to remove the compound dust/residue. Worked great on my dad's 'vette.

AutoApollo
07-02-2016, 05:34 PM
When I did my Gti Mk7 I had no issues with the dust scratches - when I did have dust, I just made sure to work a smaller area. Keep a blower near by so you can blow off any compound residue. Either way if you're using UC - you will probably follow it with a light/fine polish which should take care of it.

Another note - a lot of compounds dust so I do not think it should be a problem. UC is one compound that dusts the least if im not mistaken :/

Sounds good, thanks for the input!