PDA

View Full Version : Using foam as only wash?

CopperMtnGuy
07-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Is it ok to use the foam lance as your main wash on something that is only dusty? I'm not using a prewash soap...using a shampoo that I'd normally use for my 2 bucket wash. I'm new to the foam lance so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to use it! thanks.

Setec Astronomy
07-01-2016, 09:41 AM
So what are you saying, you want to foam the car and just rinse it, then dry?

I've certainly done foam gun washes that way to get pollen off...it's been a long time, I think I foamed, rinsed, and then just blew the car dry, or perhaps I was using my CR back then. If it's just dust you should be able to foam it and blast anything else off with the pressure washer, blow dry, then dry remaining drips with a towel and some QD or waterless wash.

That's presuming the vehicle has some LSP on it so the dust won't be "stuck".

kevincwelch
07-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Sure.

I'd suggest that you have a few mitts available to turn over if you don't use a bucket to rinse your mitt.

Search for "Aggressive Car Wash Method" by Mike Phillips. That's a bit more than what you're doing, but there are reasons alone to use just to foam lance as the source of foam and lubrication for washing a car. Obviously the reason why we have 2 buckets is to keep the source clean and rinse the mitt in the 2nd bucket. If you are using just the foam lance, then you either need to have a few mitts around -- setting them aside once they become soiled -- or have a rinse bucket. On that note, if you have a rinse bucket, wouldn't it just be easier to do the 2 bucket method rather than get out the compressor, foam lance, etc.? Just a consideration.

Regardless, if you use the foam lance, you have to use clean mitts.

If it's just dusty, why not use a waterless or rinseless wash? I'd do that personally. Easier. Faster.

shagnat
07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
As stated, if you're just getting dust or pollen off, you're good, but, I would never use towels to dry a car when only using the foam lance/cannon. You can rest assured you'll get scratches in your paint as the lance/cannon doesn't "deep" clean... just gets surface contaminants off.

So, no, I would not recommend that at all other than the above mentioned situation(s).

chrismatthewssr
07-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Question for the group, after removing swirls from my GMC, do I put on my carnauba wax then then my finishing wax or finishing first and then carnauba was.
Thanks,
Chris Sr

zero4
07-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Carnauba is your finishing wax.

shadwell
07-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Totally depends on the level of dirt.

If its a very light dust with little to no road film then yes, acknowledging ANY irt or dust left over would potentially cause scratches when IF you dry carelessly.. ie rubbing the car dry afterwards with old towels...

One way around this is to foam, jet wash off, rinse with sheeting water.. then use a leaf blower to dry... then use soft thick MF cloths folded twice turning after each section.... with some detailing spray / spray wax to finish the dry carefully...

Anything more than that and you'll need to clean with one of the other methods anyway..

CanyonCarver
07-25-2016, 07:54 PM
My daily work drive is 120+ miles round trip so I find the foam cannon is perfect for a 3-5 day build up of dust dirt bugs ect. Thats with a sealant and consistent spray wax/sacrificial layer upkeep to keep things from sticking.

I DON"T pre-rinse normally either. Just foam, rinse, dry/detail

So it lets me get away with one 2b wash a week

I'm in the high speed car run dry off camp. Lol, you don't have to twist my rubber arm to floor my new Camaro SS

aliitp
07-25-2016, 08:23 PM
dont do that, after foaming ur car and removing most of the lose dust, you will most probably have some dust stuck and contaminating your paint, a no brainer would know drying right away will cause swirl marks or maybe scratches, so I have been thinking carefully and believe have put the final draft (not an essay, lol) of the steps I will undergo and needed stuff (detailers etc..) for my next wash, feel free to refer if needed:-

Needed stuff for my next detail:-
---
Snow Foam lance
Bucket + Grit Guard (for wheel cleaning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hXmbLiEwtc
Wheel Brush (strictly for wheels/not rims)
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_97491434

Preparements:-
---
Clean Plush MF Towels (Drying)
Speedmaster Brush + Wheel Brush + Sponge (strictly for wheels)
Bucket for above wheel brushes
Car Shampoo (only for wheels)

Hardware and Detailers:-
---
Meguire's Quick Detailer
Air Blower (for Drying)

Procedure:-
---
Snow foam car + wheels sparingly... (3 minutes job)
Clean Rims using Speedmaster wheelbrush (video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hXmbLiEwtc))
Wait 10-15 minutes..
Rinse/Pressure wash completely...
Air blow...
Spray quick detail + wipe off and dry

i recommend spraying a quick detailer to clean and lubricate in the final step while drying, as you might know by now snow foaming alone will not be enough to take off 100% of dust and contaminants off your paint, good luck,,,