PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your Distilled Water?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HockeyCrazi
06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Hey guys,

I'm starting to use distilled water for my rinseless washes and for mixing my car wash solutions. I used to just take the water from my Brita water filter, then boil it, wait for it to cool down a bit and start mixing. However, I've been reading and seeing a lot of people using DI water and/or distilled water, where is the best/most economical place to get it from? I hate having to go to the grocery store and picking up a couple of gallons of distilled water from Arrowhead or something like that.

Thanks!

Pats300zx
06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
It's like .88 cents at my local Walmart. I usually pick up a gallon when I am out grocery shopping. Lately I have been emptying my dehumidifier into gallon jugs and saving it for mixing chems.

SirTanon
06-30-2016, 12:26 PM
I have both a water softener and a reverse osmosis system in my house, so I usually just use that, but if I'm going for really pure water, then I go to WalMart usually for their gallons.

briarpatch
06-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Walmart as well

Jomax
06-30-2016, 12:49 PM
I buy sparklets by the case from my local ford dealer. I pay a bit more then walmarts. But I don't have to deal with WALMART lol

IntricateDetails
06-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Walmart, BiMart, Target, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Kroger, any supermarket or grocery store really.

grovlet
06-30-2016, 02:51 PM
I have both a water softener and a reverse osmosis system in my house, so I usually just use that, but if I'm going for really pure water, then I go to WalMart usually for their gallons.

Whaaaaatat - that's a brilliant idea - I pour out about a gallon daily during the summer and never thought to use it.....

Thanks for the tip!!!:props:

Swift
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
I swear to god I'm never going to go out and buy Distilled water. Why? I got the water checked it had Total Dissolvable Solids of about 60. Technically distilled water should have TDS below 10. Medical saline water is free from all impurities. What people buy from stores, could be pretty much purified water using Reverse Osmosis.

Use water from RO system, its good enough.

PS: I'm not from US, so I'm not sure quality of stuff sold there. But, here they call it distilled water, but its just water from RO system.

scuff
06-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Hey guys,

I'm starting to use distilled water for my rinseless washes and for mixing my car wash solutions. I used to just take the water from my Brita water filter, then boil it, wait for it to cool down a bit and start mixing. However, I've been reading and seeing a lot of people using DI water and/or distilled water, where is the best/most economical place to get it from? I hate having to go to the grocery store and picking up a couple of gallons of distilled water from Arrowhead or something like that.

Thanks!
Why do you boil it?

cleanmycorolla
06-30-2016, 03:28 PM
I get Sparklettes water delivery to my house for drinking, they offer 5 gallon distilled jugs for like $5 so i get 2 5 gallon at a time!

dad07
06-30-2016, 03:34 PM
I get mine at Walmart as well. I'm in there once a week, they have the best deal on 223 ammo. I'll scoot in for ammo, distilled water, and beer for the weekend!

markiteight
06-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Screw Walmart! I get cans of dehydrated water by the case from my local restaurant food service supplier for super cheap. It's very concentrated so a little goes a long way, and the dehydration process removes all chemicals.

HockeyCrazi
06-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Why do you boil it?

No idea really, I know boiling water kills some things and chemicals do mix better at warmer temperatures. The only thing I can remember from Chemistry in high school.

HockeyCrazi
06-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'm S.O.L., just went to Target and got some Distilled Water, it's very cheap, only $0.92/gallon.

scuff
06-30-2016, 04:59 PM
No idea really, I know boiling water kills some things and chemicals do mix better at warmer temperatures. The only thing I can remember from Chemistry in high school.
I doubt there's much to grow after filtering tap water, especially if you use it fairly soon. I wonder if boiling it might be adding contaminants from whatever container you used.

Looks like you found the $0.92/gallon solution, though. :)