PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sealants and Glaze

Aaron Flanagan
06-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question as I'm relatively new to detailing. I understand compound, polish and wax, but I'm unclear about sealants and glaze. Are these used in conjunction with the other three. instead of or some combination?

I think I understand sealants as they appear to be either instead of wax or used before applying a carnauba. Is that correct?

E93to
06-30-2016, 09:42 AM
You might find some useful information here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/102696-questions-regarding-glaze-sealant.html

I've asked the same question, but forum members advised against using glaze and sealants since glaze could prevent sealant from bonding to the car's surface.

Basically glaze fills minor paint imperfections/swirls/fine scratches to add more shine and gloss.

Sealant is synthetic wax, which provides longer protection than wax. However wax provides better shine than sealant.

Desertnate
06-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Sealant is synthetic wax, which provides longer protection than wax. However wax provides better shine than sealant.

This isn't totally true. It's the type of shine that differs between the waxes and sealants. Waxes will tend to yeild a deeper, more wet looking shine. Sealants typically have a more glassy, candy coated look to them. However, there are plenty exceptions if you dig around here and read reviews. Also, the lines between waxes and sealants blur considerably based on formula of the product. You can't just go by the name on the label.

Glazes have their place in the world. I actually use them under an LSP with no issues with durability at all. On my personal vehicles, I don't like the idea of taking an abrasive polish to the paint two times a year when I re-apply the LSP. In the Spring I'll do a full correction with polish. In the Fall I know the vehicle will be subjected to a harsh Winter environment and any gains from a correction won't last long or be very visible when the car is covered in salt and grime. Therefore I use Amigo which is a glaze and paint cleaner. It cleans off the remnants of the old LSP and fills in any defects while sprucing up the shine. I could use a traditional paint cleaner to do the same thing, but since the glaze has no ill effects on LSP durability, I don't mind a little filling.

Aaron Flanagan
06-30-2016, 10:01 AM
You might find some useful information here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/102696-questions-regarding-glaze-sealant.html

Ah, shame on me for not catching this thread from just earlier in the week. Thanks!

E93to
06-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Glazes have their place in the world. I actually use them under an LSP with no issues with durability at all. On my personal vehicles, I don't like the idea of taking an abrasive polish to the paint two times a year when I re-apply the LSP. In the Spring I'll do a full correction with polish. In the Fall I know the vehicle will be subjected to a harsh Winter environment and any gains from a correction won't last long or be very visible when the car is covered in salt and grime. Therefore I use Amigo which is a glaze and paint cleaner. It cleans off the remnants of the old LSP and fills in any defects while sprucing up the shine. I could use a traditional paint cleaner to do the same thing, but since the glaze has no ill effects on LSP durability, I don't mind a little filling.

This is totally different from what was posted on my thread. I applied Griot's Garage Paint Glaze, and then 2 coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. But since members said that sealant protection won't last long due to glaze's oil preventing sealant from bonding to the car's surface, I decided to re-detail my car... Now I'm even more confused

Jomak
06-30-2016, 10:55 AM
This is totally different from what was posted on my thread. I applied Griot's Garage Paint Glaze, and then 2 coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. But since members said that sealant protection won't last long due to glaze's oil preventing sealant from bonding to the car's surface, I decided to re-detail my car... Now I'm even more confused

Join the club! :dunno:

I would do this:

Wash
Iron Remover
Clay bar (I bought Dodo Ferrus and clay lube combo) so step 2 & 3 are together!
Glaze
Sealant
Detail Spray to top it off!

I skip the wax as the sealant does a nice job for me!

Desertnate
06-30-2016, 12:23 PM

I provided similar advice in the other thread. I'll expand a little further.

Klasse SG is a unique animal that isn't very forgiving about what is applied below it. I used Klasse SG for nearly 10 years and I never put anything under it other than Klasse AIO. From my experience, anything other than a surgically clean surface or a layer of Klasse AIO would cause problems when applying the SG.

There are glazes which are designed to be topped by a sealant. Poorboys Black Hole, Prima Amigo, and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish are a few. I've used both the Poorboys and the Prima products under Collinite 845 without any problems at all. Amigo under 845 last winter lasted 5+ months on my GTI and 6+ months on my wife's Highlander. Odly enough, my wife's car was subject to the elements this winter more than my GTI. In past years which saw a much harsher winter, I still saw about 5-ish months. When I polish and apply 845, I get six months, so there isn't any difference from my experience.

Some people have bad experiences and there are some glazes which are oily and could cause problems with an LSP. Long ago, I used 3m Imperial Hand Glaze under One Grand Blitz Wax. Durability was only two months. At this point I have no idea whether it was the glaze or the really soft, high carnauba content wax which lead to the short lifespan of the protection, but if 3M IHG is one of those more oily glazes it may have been to blame.