PDA

View Full Version : Best approach for anti rusting inner fender advice...

idriveblackcars
06-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Well I sold my coilovers on my 2015 and after a year and a half of driving like this..
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/9c6fc81f44a19bd3824b8a463f19d7cc.jpg

My inner fenders look like this..
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/3793ec0a645a652c0f02229b17815671.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/bb3bf44b1427e849dfeb11093fc369dc.jpg

Both sides of the car, paint is pretty much non existing lol..and I really don't want to deal with rust living in New England.

I cleaned the area with alcohol 91%, sanded it down a little so it's smooth.

I have various OEM touch up pens and other paint chip brushes,it doesn't have to be pretty.

Most important question really is if this was your car how would you treat this to make sure there are no issues down the road???

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm about to just touch it up and call it a day,if that's all it needs I'm good as most likely the car will stay at stock height from this point on.

TIA!

SRConcepts
06-29-2016, 06:48 PM
If it were me, I would touch up that particular area with some black POR15 instead of regular touch-up paint. It's pretty wicked stuff and darn near bulletproof, but make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area as it is cyanide-based if my memory serves me correctly.

CopperMtnGuy
06-29-2016, 06:49 PM
I'd get some primer and then touch up paint. If that doesn't work, POR15 works wonders but it needs a slightly rusted surface to adhere properly.

idriveblackcars
06-29-2016, 07:11 PM
nice thanks! So POR15, will pick some up for sure.

shadwell
06-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Bugger.. thats "Stance" for you...

I'd deffo go the etch primer and then build up some coats.. mainly to try and fend off subsequent stone chips etc cutting through a very thin touch up layer.. once you get a decent 5 or so coats i'd likely also put some plasticised anti chip over it too.. but thats just me being paranoid..

It'll need a close eye on it going forward..

Best of luck..

MPBGT
06-29-2016, 08:13 PM
If you have them that clean I would etching primer them as others have said, but I have used aerosol truck bed liner in fender wells before and it's pretty tough stuff.

idriveblackcars
06-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the replies..

If you have them that clean I would etching primer them as others have said, but I have used aerosol truck bed liner in fender wells before and it's pretty tough stuff.

I was thinking something like a truck bed liner, something tough that will just last without me having to do touch up every now and then. Once I prime and touch it up I may just invest in a can. I can use it on my undercarriage in certain places too I believe.

Don M
06-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Have you ever seen the ads for POR-15? They whack that stuff with a hammer after it cured on a screwdriver, and it wasn't even fazed. If it will hold up to that, then stone chips are a non-issue ... I agree with the WELL VENTILATED AREA, I've been around when that stuff was used, it's NASTY!

On a Neon that I had, I used WD40 and sprayed the area, and once it stopped dripping, I sprayed it with Rustoleum. There were no bonding issues with the paint, they seemed to play well together and I never did have a rust issue in those areas (gas filler-tube cover which was right behind the rear wheel well in the "splash zone").