PDA

View Full Version : One polisher to rule them all

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cruzscarwash
06-29-2016, 02:18 PM
So I have a groits garage and a porter cable DA polisher. Question is should I keep one if them or sell them both and get a new one of a different brand??

VISITOR
06-29-2016, 02:24 PM
keep the GG6 and sell the porter cable. if you want to upgrade to a new DA the flex 3401 (forced rotation) or the G15/21 (long throw) would be great choices...

Red Hawk
06-29-2016, 03:17 PM
I absolutely love the 3401. It's a workhorse that has never let me down.

JeffM
06-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Do you do this for income or as a hobby. If its as a hobby, I would sell the pc and order the 3401 or the rupes Mk2, if you do this for money I would keep the PC and put a carpet attachment on it and buy a 3401 and or a rupes mk2 :)

Zubair
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Rupes or Flex but from using both extensively I'd give the nod to Rupes, my MKII is on its way,can't wait!

motion732
06-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Keep both and make the PC a dedicated 3"

Jomax
06-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Rupes or Flex but from using both extensively I'd give the nod to Rupes, my MKII is on its way,can't wait!

My only beef is when it stops spinning on awkward panels.

Zubair
06-29-2016, 04:54 PM
My only beef is when it stops spinning on awkward panels.

I did a Ferrari not long ago, particularly the rear fender with a very awkward angle where I was getting orbit only without rotation on my 15 ES. Lo and Behold with orbital action only it corrected swirls amazingly well! I can only imagine howmuch more efficient my soon to arrive MKII would have behaved on the same panel. I have yet to see where the Rupes fell short on a curve or concave and where the Flex outcut it. We too obsessed on rotation only forgetting the massive throw is cutting as well.

Cruzscarwash
06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
So I already have a dedicated 3 inch DA as well so I don't need 3 of these, I also do this for business so figured I can sell them off and get one BA one

ronkh57
06-29-2016, 05:27 PM
You're really not going to get much for a used pc......

As suggested 3" but since you already have one, get a carpet brush to put on it.

custmsprty
06-29-2016, 05:41 PM
I did a Ferrari not long ago, particularly the rear fender with a very awkward angle where I was getting orbit only without rotation on my 15 ES. Lo and Behold with orbital action only it corrected swirls amazingly well! I can only imagine howmuch more efficient my soon to arrive MKII would have behaved on the same panel. I have yet to see where the Rupes fell short on a curve or concave and where the Flex out cut it. We too obsessed on rotation only forgetting the massive throw is cutting as well.

Exactly.

I have not had any instance with my Mini, Duetto or 15 that I wasn't able to achieve the results I desired. The other thing is the more you grind away on the clear coat or "power through the job" the more clear you remove. I personally prefer the passive approach with my Rupes tools or my G21. What I mean by passive approach is letting the tool do the job it was designed to do. Rarely do I find the need for downward pressure with the tools I mentioned. The more freely it spins the more correction it's doing.

Zubair
06-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Exactly.

I have not had any instance with my Mini, Duetto or 15 that I wasn't able to achieve the results I desired. The other thing is the more you grind away on the clear coat or "power through the job" the more clear you remove. I personally prefer the passive approach with my Rupes tools or my G21. What I mean by passive approach is letting the tool do the job it was designed to do. Rarely do I find the need for downward pressure with the tools I mentioned. The more freely it spins the more correction it's doing.

Not forgetting long throw free spinning finishes better than forced rotation.

TTQ B4U
06-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Get the 3401. No stalling or stopping. I have two other free spinning DA's and the are no longer used except when I need to get into tight spaces with a smaller pad. Otherwise the 3401 does it all with zero issues. I wish I would have bought one years ago.

FUNX650
06-29-2016, 07:17 PM
I also do this for business so figured I can sell them off and get one BA one
Since you are in the detailing
business...you already know that
Time = Money

•With that in mind:
-Spring for a machine that's proven
to be the real time saver...the good
ol' Rotary---it'll literally run circles
around the DAs.

-Also:
Keep your GG DA (great warranty)
for the final polishing step(s).
You know...the step(s) that Mike Phillips
talks about, wherein you change-up the
"type" of machine.

Bob

dlc95
06-29-2016, 07:43 PM
In my opinion, you already have two machines that can just about do it all.

The Porter Cable 7424xp is my general purpose work horse. It will sand, remove sanding marks, compound, polish, seal, and be used with brushes.

I've had the Flex 3401, and while it was a great machine - took me much longer to get the job done, so I sold it.

For more refined results, and higher end performance I'll use my Rupes system. For general jobs, the Porter Cable will get me paid in a timely manner.