PDA

View Full Version : Spotted yukon

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 12:48 PM
So I was called by a customer at a doctor's office I do weekly cleanings at to quote her for some "weird water spots" she wants removed. When I got there I could see right away that it was obv more than water spots.

She said about two months ago she was driving behind some kind of water/chemical truck and some of whatever was in the truck was splashing onto her hood and windshield. She didn't think anything of it until a few days later when she noticed this all over her Yukon.
All the white spots you see is primer under the base coat. Ate right through!! Other than the spots does anybody think the hood could be improved by heavy cutting and compounding?

richy
06-29-2016, 12:52 PM
I would try a little test spot, even by hand with a mf to see whether it's worthwhile or not.

WeekendDIY
06-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Not to be overly negative but it almost seems pointless if that's the primer in the first pic. Can insurance cover a repaint?

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Yes my first suggestion to the customer was to go to a body shop and get paint work done. She said she didn't want to go that route. I don't usually do this but I actually kind of tried talking her out of me doing any correction or attempting correction but she insists that she wants the whole outside of the truck done. So I took the job on and I'm just going to do the best I can with the rest of the vehicle. Seems like a waste to me but that's what she wants so I'm going to do it. But I do agree it's pretty pointless for me too but the rest of the vehicle as good as it will come out with the hood fenders and half the passenger side wiped out. The interior is also pretty trashed but she doesn't want anything done to the inside for one reason or another.... some people I just don't get but what the customer wants the customer gets!

WeekendDIY
06-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Well, you set her expectations and she still wants you to make a go of it, then I agree, take a run at it. You did your job and advised accordingly. Not much else to do but the work. Good luck.

shadwell
06-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Nope.. respray...

Anythign you do will sadly be detracted from by the actual missing paint..

custmsprty
06-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Also, get her to sign some kind of waiver absolving you of any liability.

WeekendDIY
06-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Nope.. respray...

Anythign you do will sadly be detracted from by the actual missing paint..

Well, he's already said he's advised a respray. My guess is he will only take a few hours to honor her request (against his advice) and then call it day. He clearly (by his posts) doesn't want to take advantage of the situation. Hence why I think it will be a quick effort. He's getting paid regardless even after advising against. No sense in him walking away.

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Well, he's already said he's advised a respray. My guess is he will only take a few hours to honor her request (against his advice) and then call it day. He clearly (by his posts) doesn't want to take advantage of the situation. Hence why I think it will be a quick effort. He's getting paid regardless even after advising against. No sense in him walking away.

Yes I totally agree that is basically my position in this situation. And like you said I didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of the customer so that's why my first suggestion was The Body Shop. Plus Im scheduled to do two other cars at the same location anyway. So it's a little extra cash with all the expectations already discussed so there was really no point in me turning the job away.

WeekendDIY
06-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Yes I totally agree that is basically my position in this situation. And like you said I didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of the customer so that's why my first suggestion was The Body Shop. Plus Im scheduled to do two other cars at the same location anyway. So it's a little extra cash with all the expectations already discussed so there was really no point in me turning the job away.

Oh...custmprty makes a good point. CYA yourself on this. Waiver, Picture of her on the damaged side of vehicle holding a sign that says I agree. LOL Something. I've owned an IT company for over 21 years and I have customers from time to time go totally against a recommendation. It can be a bit of a tough spot sometimes depending on who you're dealing with and there personality. You hate to feel like your insulting there intelligence (even tho that's exactly what you're doing by telling them they're dead wrong). You just have to find the tactful balance. While others, you have to hit 'em over the head with it. Regardless, CYA.

BTW, isn't Jacksonville near Emerald Isle?

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 08:31 PM
BTW, isn't Jacksonville near Emerald Isle?[/QUOTE]

Ya it about a half hour from me. I live on the jacksonville and Richlands line

WeekendDIY
06-29-2016, 08:36 PM
BTW, isn't Jacksonville near Emerald Isle?

Ya it about a half hour from me. I live on the jacksonville and Richlands line[/QUOTE]

I thought so. Been down there lots of times on vacation. Nice area. We're going to Kure beach this year.

PaulMys
06-29-2016, 08:52 PM
So I was called by a customer at a doctor's office I do weekly cleanings at to quote her for some "weird water spots" she wants removed. When I got there I could see right away that it was obv more than water spots.

She said about two months ago she was driving behind some kind of water/chemical truck and some of whatever was in the truck was splashing onto her hood and windshield. She didn't think anything of it until a few days later when she noticed this all over her Yukon.
All the white spots you see is primer under the base coat. Ate right through!! Other than the spots does anybody think the hood could be improved by heavy cutting and compounding?

One thing I would ask her is if she got the name of the company on the side of this truck, or a tag number so they could pay for this. Imagine all the other paint on the adjacent cars that this truck ruined!

Horrible to think that this neglect to contain these corrosive chemicals by this truck caused all this irreversible damage. :(

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 10:01 PM
One thing I would ask her is if she got the name of the company on the side of this truck, or a tag number so they could pay for this. Imagine all the other paint on the adjacent cars that this truck ruined!

Horrible to think that this neglect to contain these corrosive chemicals by this truck caused all this irreversible damage. :(

Yes I did ask her and she didn't because she thought it was just water I guess until the spots sat overnight and she went to leave the next morning I think. I wish I knew what the chemical was cause it was obv very strong!!!

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Ya it about a half hour from me. I live on the jacksonville and Richlands line

I thought so. Been down there lots of times on vacation. Nice area. We're going to Kure beach this year.[/QUOTE]

I've been here about 6 months. Originally from southern New hampshire...I like it so far. A lot different than n.h. in some ways but A lot of similarities. I thought it was gonna be more different than it is. Enjoy your beach trip!