PDA

View Full Version : Been out of the detailing game for a while

kgj1119
06-29-2016, 09:32 AM
As the topic says been away from detailing for a while. I don't do this as a business or anything just a hobby. I've owned a few tricks that I didn't really take care of for years now that I'm back in a car figured I get back to detailing. With so many products out there what is recommended for a daily driver detail? As far as pads, an easy to use compound, Polish, and wax. I have a porter cable that I've had from a few years back that I can use.

Paul A.
06-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Welcome back kgj! Lots of advances.

kgj1119
06-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Welcome back kgj! Lots of advances.

I've noticed just from looking at the auto geek store. All the options can make your head explode

bryanviper
06-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Check out 3D products they are very good and user friendly.

Paul A.
06-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Get these pads for your PC. I would also recommend the 5.5" size. Get 2 6-packs: 4 orange, 4 white and 4 red. Maybe 5 orange, 5 white and 2 red. I'll stick to pad recommendations and avoid compound, polish or wax/sealant/coating suggestions as everybody has their favorites. Anything...and i mean ANYTHING...from Autogeek with regard to the other products all work well.

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thinpro-5-inch.html)

My favorite product line is Menzerna but have used Megiuars, 1Z, 3D, Duragloss etc. And ALL are good.

kgj1119
07-05-2016, 11:03 PM
How are chemical guys products?

BudgetPlan1
07-06-2016, 03:51 AM

Generally it seems they are thought of as mostly hype around here with other, better alternatives. I've never used them myself, though, so can't speak from experience; I'm currently in a Wolfgang products phase and have been happy with results.

kgj1119
07-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Generally it seems they are thought of as mostly hype around here with other, better alternatives. I've never used them myself, though, so can't speak from experience; I'm currently in a Wolfgang products phase and have been happy with results.

Ok thanks. It seems like they have a ton of products. Which makes it difficult to decide on what I need to get

briarpatch
07-06-2016, 11:43 AM

There are good and bad products in any line. CG sells so much stuff that is so similar, it is hard to figure out what you want. They do 'over hype' their stuff, but I have a few of their products that I like and use regularly. VRP is my go-to tire shine, and the foam applicators they sell are nice too. Butter Wet Wax is super easy to use, gives a nice wet shine, although the longevity is only about 3 weeks. Generally, their soaps are pretty good...I've used Mr, Pink....a good soap...not great, but good.

cyclops
07-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Was in the same boat as you couple of months ago, yes it is confusing with all the different brands out there. The one suggestion I have is to stay with one product line, especially with paint. For example one brand of sealant may not work well with another brand of spray wax. Of course if you prefer a different brand of wheel or leather cleaner swapping brands does not matter.

Personally studied lots of reviews from the members and Mike Phillips and narrowed it down to Pinnacle, Black Fire and Wolfgang. Went with Wolfgang based on reviews by others, could not be happier especially with the Uber rinseless wash.

You came to the right place for info, do your research, narrow down your selections and I guarantee you will be happy and hooked.

dlc95
07-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Welcome back to the fold!

Daily driver? Nothing wrong with Meguiar's Ultimate line. I love using those products. They work, they produce professional results, easy to use, easy to get, etc.

Because I got through higher volumes of product, I just ordered M205, and M100 in gallon. I like M100 a lot more than M105 as a compound. It stays wet, much, much less dust. You could give these a try too. Oh, and I got a 64oz of M21 sealant.

For pads, there are two lines that I use the most. The first being Buff and Shine Grip Pads. I use the green for compounding, blue for polishing, and red for sealant. Yeah, the green is listed as a polishing pad, but it works a lot faster and more effectively for me than the orange or yellow. The second line I like is Lake Country Hydrotech. Those are absolutely fantastic foam pads. The only drawback is that they take a long time to dry. Sometimes a couple days or more.

kgj1119
07-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Welcome back to the fold!

Daily driver? Nothing wrong with Meguiar's Ultimate line. I love using those products. They work, they produce professional results, easy to use, easy to get, etc.

Because I got through higher volumes of product, I just ordered M205, and M100 in gallon. I like M100 a lot more than M105 as a compound. It stays wet, much, much less dust. You could give these a try too. Oh, and I got a 64oz of M21 sealant.

For pads, there are two lines that I use the most. The first being Buff and Shine Grip Pads. I use the green for compounding, blue for polishing, and red for sealant. Yeah, the green is listed as a polishing pad, but it works a lot faster and more effectively for me than the orange or yellow. The second line I like is Lake Country Hydrotech. Those are absolutely fantastic foam pads. The only drawback is that they take a long time to dry. Sometimes a couple days or more.

Yes. It's a daily driver. What pads do I use with the m205 and m100? Just the regular orange or green. And a red for the sealant

shagnat
07-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Yes. It's a daily driver. What pads do I use with the m205 and m100? Just the regular orange or green. And a red for the sealant

The pads you mentioned would work well for those 2 Meguire's products. Stay away from M105 unless you get really really good at polishing. There is also Menzerna FG400.... Fantastic product you could use in place of M100.... check the price as I'm not sure which is more cost effective. Meguire's products are an excellent line and can get the "Ultimate" line at local retailers too.

dlc95
07-22-2016, 09:47 PM

I recommended the orange for compounding, white for polishing, and grey or red for waxing.

The ones I use are specific to my style, and might not work as well for others.