PDA

View Full Version : Are you OCD and.....

Pages : [1] 2

bald richard
06-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Do you think it makes you a better detailer?
I know it does me! :props:

rlmccarty2000
06-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Trying to get every car 100 percent corrected and if you see a smudge or dust and you HAVE to get it right can be frustrating. I wish I could NOT see imperfections.

FUNX650
06-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Am I OCD?
Yeah: old; cranky; dangerous!

Bob

jeepngli
06-28-2016, 08:37 PM
I dunno. I'd like to think it makes the results better but it might just make me spend too much time on minor details :confused:

WAXOFF
06-28-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm high OCD. People think I'm nuts when they see their car and I explain what I did.

dcjredline
06-28-2016, 10:54 PM
I am not normally OCD in general. There are a couple things that make me go a tad crazy and cleaning ANYTHING is one of them for me. If I as much as pick something (lint from my socks) off the floor sometimes it turns into a whole house moving furniture cleaning session. Its bad.

As for detailing, yeah its good cause the car is usually crazy good but its also bad cause I usually go too far for what I am being paid for. And I too sometimes wish I had what I call macro vision not Micro when it comes to paint/carpets

Don M
06-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Sometimes being TOO OCD, means you can't see the forest through the trees. You get so focused on getting the tire stem caps perfect, you end up not being able to see how good the WHOLE car looks and feel like you've not done a very good job.

briarpatch
06-29-2016, 08:11 AM
There are degrees of OCD. My 17-year old daughter got home from work, came right to me and said "Dad, there's bird poop on my car. Can you use that stuff and clean it off?".....then she asked me for a small spray bottle of Speed Shine (aka that stuff) and a microfiber towel to keep in the trunk so she can deal with bird poop right away. Not too many 17-year old kids that would be that worried about a little bird poop. She may be a budding Autogeek

Eric@CherryOnTop
06-29-2016, 08:29 AM
NO! And the whole "I'm more OCD than you" contest detailers seem to have with each other, as if being more OCD than the next guy somehow makes you better at it than them, is getting kind of old.

OCD detailers generally don't make too much money because they end up giving away their time for free to people who will never appreciate it in order to get a car up to their standard. Swirls and squirrels, clean the car and make it shiny. The ones who want more than that will let you know.

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 09:15 AM
In my mobile detailing world I always have happy customers and usually can't believe the results. Usually better than what they were invisioning. In the process of doing some cars I sometimes beat myself up a little bit over a minor detail that the customer would never even think of looking at or thinking about. My co owner thinks I'm nutts sometimes and has to remind me of that. But after all in the long run it is called DETAILING for a reason! As long as it doesn't cut into our time/money ratio, I guess its not to bad of a habit

Octopiston
06-29-2016, 11:00 AM
No. My wife is the CDO one (even ocd would have to be alphabatized for her).

I can organize product by usage. If its used more, its closer. My wife on the other hand would have to organize by name, or color, type. Ex) When I organize the spices its by usage amount. She'll alphabatize them.
She literally sorts her m&m's by colors before eating. Then she will eat a color until they are even. Then its one from each color to keep them even.

frankprozzoly
06-29-2016, 11:05 AM
I can be with my own car

dcjredline
06-29-2016, 11:28 AM
NO! And the whole "I'm more OCD than you" contest detailers seem to have with each other, as if being more OCD than the next guy somehow makes you better at it than them, is getting kind of old.

OCD detailers generally don't make too much money because they end up giving away their time for free to people who will never appreciate it in order to get a car up to their standard. Swirls and squirrels, clean the car and make it shiny. The ones who want more than that will let you know.

I dont think its a competition. I thought the op was just wondering. Dont see any "Im better than you" in here

precisionmobile85
06-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I dont think its a competition. I thought the op was just wondering. Dont see any "Im better than you" in here

I believe everyone that details cars (at least the ones that like it enough to take part in forums like this one or others) is ocd in their own way. Especially with your own vehicle. If you arnt then cleaning your car is more of a task than a hobby or lifestyle. I do it as a hobby and profession because I love it!!!

Octopiston
06-29-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't think ocd is required to desire cleanliness, to enjoy the process, or to be good at making any car look better. A love for cars with a desire to make improvements goes a long way towards that.

I am FAR from ocd. I approach the job methodically, and yes I enjoy the labor and the outcome. Its like a personal challenge to see what you can do. It is no different of a feeling of satisfaction that I get from many other activities from gardening to cooking to wrenching on my car. Sure sometimes it feels more like work than others, but what doesn't? It isn't like washing dishes or doing laundry though.