PDA

View Full Version : Gloss meter?

bald richard
06-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Ok, when do you know you have reached maximum shine?
My car looks fantastic ( don't mind saying ) but it seems like there there could be a bit more, don't know for sure, could be my OCD.... Don't know if there is a gloss meter, but be cool if there was one ! Just to know for sure :xyxthumbs:

lane5515
06-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Rhopoint IQ gloss and haze meter if you want to drop about $3,500.

FUNX650
06-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Ok, when do you know you
have reached maximum shine?

There's a branch of Optics that deals
with visual appearances, such as the
"maximum shine" you mention above.

It basically describes "maximum shine"
as being whenever a surface reflects
light in a specular (mirror-like) direction.

Don't know if there is a gloss meter,
but be cool if there was one !
Just to know for sure :xyxthumbs:
Not to worry:
Glossmeters have been around
since about the World War I
time frame.

But as forum member lane5515 stated:
They're rather pricey!

Bob

Kamakaz1961
06-28-2016, 08:04 PM
Beauty and gloss in the eye of the beholder. IMO just look and enjoy what you did. Good enough and beautiful enough! Lol

Loach
06-28-2016, 09:24 PM
I have reached maximum shine the moment my disk slips in my lower back.

Lane is right, the Rhopoint IQ is still pretty much the only relevant glossmeter used in the industry. Paint compounding and polishing has a lot more to do with the improvement of the reflective quality of the surface, rather than just improving gloss levels. Swirled up paint can be incredibly glossy, what the IQ model does that regular glossmeters don't is measure just how much better the paint actually looks after removing the defects that is closer to how our eyes perceive that improvement in person. Todd Cooperider wrote a great article on his blog about the IQ model and how it works. You'll have to google it!

I recently got my hands on a Rhopoint Novo-Gloss Trio for testing. The limitations of only have gloss as the measurement is very apparent. You need a very flat surface as well, just a slight curve is enough to throw readings off.