PDA

View Full Version : Swirls in Chrome /stainless side step bars

Torque219
06-27-2016, 09:56 PM
So I did my first paint detail in close to 9 years on my buddies 08 Sierra quad cab.
Paint I'm ok with light scratches and swirls no issue
His side steps have the same type of swirls since I had the polisher going with some 205 I tried a small area
Shined it up but didn't clean the swirls up much

Not great with metal here
Any recommendations on products or techniques

AuroraDetailing
06-28-2016, 03:16 AM
None of your detailing products will probably work. I'm a welder by trade and used to custom fabricate stainless handrails and they were either a brushed finished or mirror finished. Either way I had to grind down the welds and polish them. Even the brush finish had to get polished down so I could put the brush finish back on the area. But to get swirl marks out, even the lightest ones done with a brillo pad, needs a hard cloth wheel and hard polishing compound, the kind that comes as a solid block like soap. Used an end grinder with the cloth wheel, and sometimes even needed a laminated wheel.

I actually just tried my best on my friend's aluminum rims that got some scratch marks from grass. Tried mother's metal polish with a course 3" pad with an electric drill, then tried meguiars 105, and then Wolfgang Uber Compound, and the scratches just made by grass wouldn't come out. I obviously don't have the same tools I used to have at work haha.

lawrenceSA
06-28-2016, 05:13 AM
I've had some fairly good success using Menzerna Polishing cream on a Lake Country Hybrid Wool pad on the Flex 3401

Check out post 22 in this thread for some before/after pics

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/102005-top-3-metal-chrome-polishes-3.html